Anyone else decided to return the 3 and keep the 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richardmu, Mar 18, 2012.

1. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Got my 32gb Wi-Fi + 4G on release day with a view to selling my ipad 2.

Very disappointed overall with the new ipad so took it back today for a full refund.

To sum it up:

A little heavier, a little thicker, and not a lot better than my ipad 2. Chunky!

The amazing, awesome, jaw dropping retina display that so many on this forum are drooling about somewhat brings to mind 'The King's New Clothes'!

Text looks a bit better, photos maybe if you look hard enough.

I don't take photos with the ipad or play games so the rest shows only marginal improvement. Certainly not enough to justify ditching the 2.

2. ant043 macrumors regular

The screen is awesome !!! Reading on it is a pleasure. Enjoy your 1024 by 768 resolution :)

3. southflguy macrumors regular

No. The retina display is a HUGE difference. For me it looks like I'm looking at paper and not a screen but I suppose that's subjective. I'm also an amateur photographer. They will have to pry the new iPad out of my cold dead hands.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Are you mental?

5. LanEvo macrumors 6502

This right here!!

6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Must be. It's barely heavier, barely thicker, and the screen is just glorious.

7. Snoosedaddy macrumors regular

I gave my 5 year old my iPad 2 and she wants to use my 3rd gen cause it looks so much better.

8. 2259 macrumors member

The retina display addition on the iPhone 4 was a huge difference. The same addition on the iPad screen just makes the device for me.

I've loved each gen iPad and iPhone I've ever had and honestly never thought about reverting back after upgrading at any point.

But that just my opinion.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am not sure what else u are looking for from iPad. It is a tablet device and iPad 2 was already,great device, but retina display is much better than iPad 2 display.

Enjoy your old iPad 2

10. 2259 macrumors member

Lucky lad!!

11. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I upgraded for the 4G. The rest is a bonus. However, we all have our preferences and opinions so OP enjoy your refund. :)

12. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

13. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Mine went to my Dad. He sat there chuckling to himself all night as he fiddled with it.

14. G77 macrumors regular

Good for you, now you have enough to get new glasses...

15. gusping macrumors 6502

thats what she said ;)

16. richardmu thread starter macrumors 6502a

The new display certainly sounds like a fantastic improvement for a lot of people that have been waiting for the retina display to appear on the ipad.

Maybe it's my eyes but I fail to see any big change from that on the ipad 2.

I guess it's all down to what you use the ipad for and how critical you are, and folks on this forum are probably the most critical users you can find. That's what makes it fun!

17. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Both the thickness and the weight were known before ordering it, as it was given during the iPad presentation. Should have known to expect this before you received it...

18. thefreeagent macrumors member

Ummmm.....disappointed? So sorry to hear that, for you.

As for me? Not so disappointed. And, just to see how I was going to feel about going back to the iPad 2, I pulled it out of its box where it's been sitting for the last couple of days, and I literally almost couldn't believe how pixelated the screen looked by comparison! It blows my mind how different it looks after a just few days....like a different device. Oh how litte I knew ye, iPad 2! (even after using you every day for a year, for hours at a time!)

It was crazy how bad it looked after having my eyes adjusted to the retina display on the new iPad. This is coming from someone who had NEVER felt that to be an issue for a second with the previous gen models...until now.

The previous iPad screens were (and, if you haven't been corrupted by the new iPad, still are) great, and I often marveled at their clarity and sharpness. Now, I don't ever want to go back. Also, I can barely feel or see any difference in weight or thickness.

19. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Wow!
    Okay I understand if you think that to you the 3 is not worth it over the 2, I mean this is a tough economy and we all have to watch our cash but that whole too heavy and to thick is just BS.
    0.6mm is as much as a sticker on the back of the 2 and less then 50 grams in weight is what 2 -3 US quarters.
    I'm tired of hearing this crap and that people can evan tell.

20. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The jump from Wifi dependency to 4G was why I jumped.
    The other features, all strong in their own right, were bonuses.

21. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Although I think its a shame you didnt give it a chance its your choice. At first I was expecting to be blown away and when i turn it on I was like is this it? Ok, so i cant see pixels but i never noticed them in the iPad 2 until people started going on about them. I too was spoilt by the slender slight iPad 2.

Its only when I started downloading one or two retina apps, not the nonsense 'upscaled' apps but genuine images that are QVGA in resolution and use it to show very fine, misty, dusty, speckly detail, the kind of visuals you might have seen printed in a magazine or a physical work of art, then you start to appreciate what you have here.

Apps like twitter, real racing and that sword game might be QXGA technically, but artistically they just higher resolution versions of the same images on iPad 2. They simply look sharper. Big deal.

I know the words 'untapped potential' kinda get over used but I absolutely believe we have yet to see the retina screen truly shine. Unlike beautiful images in magazines, the retina display can show animated visual in detail so fine you could mistake it for being real.

That's supposedly the big deal behind retina.

22. tommot82 macrumors regular

did you turn the new iPad on? Seriously the screen is beautiful!!!

23. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

My brother bought his 3 year old kid/my niece an iPad 2 and a bought himself a new iPad. He won't really use the thing for anything besides browsing or maybe movie watching. Reading? Doubtful.

iPad 2 is now "older technology." Even though you don't think it's a big improvement, it's still an improvement. It just depends on how much you value the improvements. There were only two things that I wanted to make the iPad perfect for me: improved screen, LTE technology. Weight is negligible, comparing the two, it's hardly noticeable.

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

If you are happier with the iPad 2, then by all means, you made the right choice for you.

I am beyond thrilled with the new one, and you'd have to shoot me to get it away from me.

I have an original iPad, an iPad 2 and the latest iPad in my house right now, and I can definitely see the progression from one to the other. But, all are fantastic devices, so if your needs steer you to a older model, nothing wrong with that.

25. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Love my new ipad screen is beeee u T full :) 4G LTE is faster then my wifi home.. This new should of been the iPad 2.. Only thing I wanted on new iPad was aluminum buttons for power/lock/button and HD front cam for HD FaceTime/Skype..ect..