Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I for one can't wait. I've been a long time player since the first game came out. I just got my level 100 in Gears of War 2 and that's about the only game I play for the 360.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nope. Way overblown series, IMO (tried playing through 2 in co-op with my girlfriend, shes a huge fan).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No not really. Kind of sick of the whole 3rd person run and gun, take a bit of cover etc.. gameplay.

Mind - a lot my sickness is tempered from the fact I found Gears 1 & 2 a slog and never managed to complete them, and never played online much either as I was always thunderfecked within a few seconds of play.

I'm sure it will sell by the bucket load though. :)

Now if you were asking about SKYRIM on the other hand ;)

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I am. Been trying myself to make it to 100, but it's slowing going if you do mostly horde mode ( like I do ) and don't boost. Been playing all the XP weekends but getting annoyed at all the dead weight that just sits in a corner for points not helping. I can't wait for the new horde mode, already getting a few regulars to play that.

I may actually go to the midnight release to pick it up.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
YES! :cool: It's going to be an amazing game.(hopefully). Gets people out of the "military/Call of Duty/I'll quick scope you, you quick scope me" trend.
Personally Halo and Gears of War > Call of Duty. CoD is still fun though

----------

Now if you were asking about SKYRIM on the other hand ;)

Took the words right out of my mouth

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
YES! :cool: It's going to be an amazing game.(hopefully). Gets people out of the "military/Call of Duty/I'll quick scope you, you quick scope me" trend.
Personally Halo and Gears of War > Call of Duty. CoD is still fun though

It's like arguing over which is better; Macdonalds or Burger King...

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I'm looking forward to it. I was thinking about going to a midnight launch, but considering I have to work the next day, it's not like I'd have much play time before needing sleep.

I did just read that it sounds like Target has a special this week on it. Buy the game and get a $10 gift card to use at Target.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm pretty excited :D

4-player co-op *drool*

I'm home Tuesday, so I might go to a midnight launch...my nearest midnight opening is miles away though :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I popped home four hours ago at lunchtime and mine hadn't been delivered yet, but hopefully it'll be there when I get off work in 20 minutes :)

So the verdict so far is rather thin! Also, there's a world outside the US :p

Edit: Pics!

Edit 2: Oops, third one is upside down but you get the idea...

Attachments

• IMG_20110920_163656.jpg
    IMG_20110920_163656.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20110920_163908.jpg
    IMG_20110920_163908.jpg
    959 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20110920_163931.jpg
    IMG_20110920_163931.jpg
    823.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Pic I posted in the last purchase thread...

securedownload-5-1.jpg

It's the game from the midnight release. Best Buy was also offering Live memberships for $39.99 instead of $59.99. They also gave out tote bag things and a t - shirt. Only disappointment is that the code for the pre order Mechanic Baird bonus wasn't in the box, but instead you have to wait for them to mail it.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I haven't gotten too far through the first act yet, but I'm quite happy with it so far!

I played through act one and this game rules! The graphics are cutting edge and gameplay is polished. However, sometimes I don't get to pick up ammo off the ground because of a cut scene, but not a big deal. There is plenty of ammo spread throughout the single player campaign thus far.

This game is the standard for every video game. Epic had a long time to complete this game and it shows. When I play the game, I can tell that a lot of time and effort was exhausted to make this game right. Meaningless details were hashed out over lunch etc.... If you are a critic and feel that gameplay is weak, then you are wrong. This game has something for everyone! Hence, if you passed on buying the franchise, don't make a mistake, buy this game.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I received mine at 11:58 pm yesterday, as I will play the game tonight. I hope the single player is "epic" lol.

I am envious. Like me, there are still quite a few that haven't received their codes yet. Some are saying it's a screw up on BB's part based on the way the salesperson recorded the sale, and they don't realize to send out codes or some such nonsense.

It's annoying, but I can get over it. It has made me more wary of BB's pre order offers though. If I see that it says the code is being emailed, I am going back to Gamestop or going with Amazon who have always been reliable with their emails. Seems BB is having a problem with this email thing, starting with Madden & Resistance, and the complaints are piling up.

Aw well.

It's still a hell of a game. The graphics are impressive! Not completely sold on the online still, the game is still heavily bent towards shotgun hos.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Not completely sold on the online still, the game is still heavily bent towards shotgun hos.

I'd rather snipe someone, but sometimes it's so much easier to sneak up on someone and mash them in the back of the head with a shotgun :D

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I'd dig that as well, if it seemed to work consistently. In the several games I've played with friends, we've noticed that for some shottys are completely hit or miss. I've walked up next to people with the sawed off, they are completely unaware, fired, and... nothing. I'll be in other games and will completely clean the other team with just the sawed off & pointing it in their vague general direction.

I know with dedicated servers it's supposed to eliminate the host/lag issues, but there are still examples of players being shot 'thru' walls. Lag can't be completely eliminated, just hidden well. Which is why like you I prefer to shoot from a distance. With my 'Downer', the Hammerburst, and rack up my assists.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I got the game on the 20th and already have about 32 achievements lol. The campaign was a real tear jerker this time. Hands down the best game of 2011 IMHO.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There is a definite possibility, but then again, maybe not. 2 was good, but I started to see some redundancy. This is a good example of where a demo would be appreciated.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I am envious. Like me, there are still quite a few that haven't received their codes yet. Some are saying it's a screw up on BB's part based on the way the salesperson recorded the sale, and they don't realize to send out codes or some such nonsense.

It's annoying, but I can get over it. It has made me more wary of BB's pre order offers though. If I see that it says the code is being emailed, I am going back to Gamestop or going with Amazon who have always been reliable with their emails. Seems BB is having a problem with this email thing, starting with Madden & Resistance, and the complaints are piling up.

Aw well.

It's still a hell of a game. The graphics are impressive! Not completely sold on the online still, the game is still heavily bent towards shotgun hos.

Did you receive your code? I finished the game and it rules!

----------

I got the game on the 20th and already have about 32 achievements lol. The campaign was a real tear jerker this time. Hands down the best game of 2011 IMHO.

If Gears does not win something in 2011, then the process is rigged! Yes, R.I.P. you know who!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.