Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fsolano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Since I've gotten my new iPad i've been looking for the right case for it. I finally decided on the Red Incipio Smart Feather as it became available today. I was planning on pairing it with Apple's Red smart cover (Red is my favorite color) but now that I think about it, $70 bucks is ALOT for a smart cover even if it is leather. I'll probably end up with it anyway :( but I really wish they offered it in Poly. What are your opinions?

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I feel $70 and $40 is too much for the leather and poly smart covers but when I look at the cheaper alternatives, I feel I'd rather just get the real thing.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought the same as you, and I ended up buying it. I did get a $6 discount from my work lol, but it still was expensive. Although the leather Smart Covers are quite nice, I really like mine.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Nothing special about the Red that makes it $70.

It's leather and all Apple leather smart covers are $70.

I wanted the Red but wasn't about to pay that.

MacMall has/had the best price, $49.99 for authentic Apple leather ones.
But sadly, they don't carry Red, at least when I ordered.

I picked up the Navy one and love it.

fsolano

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
poly cover with icarbon CF stripes - much better and does not fade or nick

Does it matter which poly you get? I'm asking because I want to know if any of the smart cover's color is shown when you put the icarbon on top?

Retzius

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
I thought the smart cover price was a little overpriced. I believe $40 for the leather would've been a good set point. However, I wanted the quality of leather because it would wear much better over the long term.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
poly cover with icarbon CF stripes - much better and does not fade or nick

What I find funny about the iCrabon site is it says the carbon fiber strips should only be on the poly smart covers, but in most of the pictures it's on the black leather one lol.

On a serious note, this is a good idea, I actually just ordered the black and white carbon strips to go with my red smart cover.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
What I find funny about the iCrabon site is it says the carbon fiber strips should only be on the poly smart covers, but in most of the pictures it's on the black leather one lol.

On a serious note, this is a good idea, I actually just ordered the black and white carbon strips to go with my red smart cover.

you can use them on leather but will pull some of the leather off if you remove them...they come off the polys fine.

----------

Does it matter which poly you get? I'm asking because I want to know if any of the smart cover's color is shown when you put the icarbon on top?

either grey looks good with black CF stripes

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
you can use them on leather but will pull some of the leather off if you remove them...they come off the polys fine.

Yeah I read that on the site. Not too worried, I plan on having the black stripes on my red cover for a while, and then switch to the white stripes...

I wonder if I should exchange my red cover for a black one to match better...I really like the red though.

Decisions, decisions..

nd3eb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Yes it's too expensive, but I bought it anyway and love it!! A lot nicer than the green poly one I had on my iPad 2

Pumapayam

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009

Product RED items support AIDs research.

It's an Apple Store exclusive.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Found a used black leather cover on Amazon for 32 dollars shipped. Not too shabby... Pretty sure it wasn't a knock off either came in a beat up apple smart cover box and it actually says "Designed by Apple of California. Made in China" on the cover it self.

The cover itself is in perfect condition.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Product RED items support AIDs research.

It's an Apple Store exclusive.

Yea, I know all about Product Red, the question was, is $70 too much for the Red smart cover?

My answer; doesn't matter if it is pink, green, or purple, if its leather, its $70.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Yes it's too expensive, but I bought it anyway and love it!! A lot nicer than the green poly one I had on my iPad 2

Just bit the bullet and bought a black leather one. I sold my green poly one with my iPad 2. Now I can actually carry around my iPad in the office without it standing out too much.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012

They say it will take away the shine which is artificial to the leather. I removed that from my leather less than a day after I got it. Now if I clean it I get barely any ink coming from it and it looks overall much nicer than the way I got it. Plus it looks, feels and smells like leather now.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I just want a black one...and they try to rip you off by offering it in leather only.

So I'll go with another alternative.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I just want a black one...and they try to rip you off by offering it in leather only.

So I'll go with another alternative.

Yeah, when I was going to buy one for my wife when she got her iPad 2, I was pretty bummed and ended up getting the dark gray poly one. When my iPad 3 came, I really wanted black so I sprung for it, but it was painful.

Pumapayam

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009

I picked up the Navy one and love it.

----------

MacMall had them for $54.99, too (All but the red one). At least they did two days ago. :)

Hammie, see above, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.