Anyone else going to check out the Bionic 4g before iPhone 5 release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

after having tested iOS 5 now for a few months I do like it, but still, it's the same OS it's been(looks wise) since the iPhone came out. Anyway I tried the EVO spring last year and was really not impressed. Washed out colors, a lot of stuttering while navigating and so on.

I figure before the iPhone 5 comes out I might as well try out the latest and greatest droid phone, which seems to be the bionic 4g to be released on 9/8. The retail price is $587 so I figure I could sell my 32gb iPhone 4 for about $450 hopefully and only pay $140 for the bionic after its all said and done.

Watching a couple YouTube vids of the thing is very very smooth compared to other droid phones I have seen or used. The big thing though us th battery life, a couple of review sites were saying they were getting about 15hrs out of it which is great!

I figure if I don't like it I can sell it for $350-$400 afterward and then just pay the differenc for the iPhone 5.

I really don't want to leave iOS for droid but wtf is up with Verizon and windows 7 phones? Are they ever going to get more? I love the UI of it and would most likely switch to that it Verizon had a decent W7 phOne like AT&T or sprint.

Sorry for the rant, just checking if anyone else was interested in the bionic.

2. shadrap macrumors 6502

Yes, I will probably be giving the Bionic a try. LTE is my reason. Most of my state is covered in 4G. I am gonna get it and hope android can hold me over until LTE iPhone comes.

By the way: the reason for the long battery life is Motorola built it's own LTE chip. Their chip allows better battery life and a slimmer phone. Wished Apple would have done this.

3. jonrando macrumors 6502a

The Droid Bionic is just another Droid. Really nothing different except for LTE. Besides, iOS is nice looking than Motorola's Application Platform (Motoblur, essentially).

4. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I'm not interested in another Android phone until I've at least tried an iPhone...one more month......

5. Dunbar, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

Dunbar macrumors 6502

I'm eager to see the video reviews of the Bionic. I feel like the hardware is going to be kind of dated at launch though. With 1.5Ghz dual core phones, and 720p displays, rumored to be 2-3 months away I'd be tempted to wait. Part of that is just the bitterness of having to wait eight months for the Bionic since it was announced at CES.

If the iPhone 5 doesn't have a 4" screen my next phone will definitely be LTE and Android.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, since I have AT&T. I won't lie though, it looks pretty nice.

7. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Wait the iPhone 5 is out? No. Maybe they did make their own LTE chip.

8. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

The Bionic sounded really cool when reports of it were first coming out, now it just seems like a somewhat dated piece of hardware upon release. I wouldn't want to be locked in for an upgrade cycle with much better handsets coming out not too many months after the Bionic.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Not to rain on your parade, but is the resale on motorola phones as good as iPhone's? I think you need to downward adjust your estimate on resale value.

10. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I am a little intrigued by the Bionic, only because LTE is arriving in my area right around the time the Bionic is going to be released. I've already been back and forth between iOS and Android: I went from a 3GS to a iPhone 4, only to return the iPhone 4 to get a Droid X (last August). After using the Droid X for about 9 months, I sold it and went back to the iPhone 4 and switched to Verizon.

I am on iOS 5 beta and it has some really nifty features. But if battery life is pretty decent on the Bionic, LTE may sway me back to the dark side (at least for a year until the iPhone 6 comes out with LTE).

Apple really needs to diversify their iPhone lineup. There's no way they are going to continue being competitive by releasing one phone per year (and this year it's an even longer wait). They should release one cutting edge phone (an LTE iPhone this year would have been nice, for example), and one lower cost phone to compete with the gluttony of Android mid-range phones.

11. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't recommend anything Android other than the Nexus line. These manufacturers try to put too much of their crap onto the OS, and eventually slowing it down. Just look at Nexus S - "ancient" hardware but still top of the line performance.

12. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

So you want to switch because of video? That seems to be a small reason to completely change your phone. the LTE part I get, however there is wifi in so many places now.

13. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Nope.

What ecosystem does the droid live in?

I've had separate stuff forever that had to be made to work together.

14. Shockwave78 thread starter macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

relax :cool:

Oh well, if i sell it for a $100 less than i thought then oh well...At least i have tried it and gave it a chance.

15. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Releases tomorrow, not gonna lie, this is a nice looking phone.

YouTube: video

16. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

You should have no problem with getting $100-$200 less than retail, provided you don't beat the phone up too bad. Hell, the LG Revolution held its value pretty well up until recently. I bought one for $200 from ebay, and then flipped it on eBay again for $400.

Anyway, if my past 2 droids have any indication about the LCD, you're not going to be impressed. Compared to the samsung galaxy s, or the iphone 4, most motorola phones' LCDs look like crap.

17. darster Suspended

No, I wont be checking ut the Bionic. Of course I wont be checking out the iphone 5 either.

18. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Ooh, Apple must be quaking in their boots. See ya'

19. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It's kind of crazy how people are willing to switch entire OSes if a certain feature isn't in the iPhone 5. I mean, really? Then I guess you're just with the iPhone because you feel like it.

Anyway, I thought about testing about the Bionic but probably won't since I don't want to go through the hassle.

20. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

Honestly I will look at the Bionic after the iPhone 5 is released. If the iPhone has LTE then I will get the iPhone without thinking twice, but if it doesn't i will have to mess around with both phones for a few hours and make a decision. I have had a couple blackberries (Curve 8330, Storm 9530) and an android device (Droid X), so I really want to try iOS next, but we will see what happens. I want to try the iPhone but since both cities I reside in most have 4g LTE, I will need to see if it is worth it to stay with android.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have many problems with my Droid X and I like android. I would just like to try all of the major mobile Operating Systems and then choose which one I like the most.

21. SooneratND macrumors regular

I trust Motorola to do this. They've been doing for decades. I don't trust Apple. Apple is great at the computer and OS portions of the iPhone, but the phone portion? Not so much. The problems with the call drops and antenna-gate show that Apple still has a long way to go in learning "phone" design.

22. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The bionic is really an ugly phone. And it looks to plasticy. Haven't held it of course, but it's still ugly. And it doesn't do anything any other droids don't do

23. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Meh, most iphones I see are in cases and look very bland. The Bionic is the first dual core LTE phone sold in the US. That's a big deal if you're willing to step outside the iOS bubble.

24. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Cripes, why are those Droids so damn thick? I expected this to have a slide out keyboard, it's so thick.