Anyone else hanging on to original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wattage, Mar 22, 2009.

1. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

I got the original iPhone on day 2, wife got 3G iPhone last year so it is my turn this year. I know of a few friends that hocked their iPhone for good prices last year before 3G came out but I think I am just gonna hang on to it ya know.

Any other peeps keeping theirs just for nostalgia or collector status, or just because you don't want to hassle with selling it?

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I still have mine, and I still love it. There was no point for me to get the 3G since I'm still using it on T-Mobile. Works well for my intents and purposes.

3. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I still have my Classic. Purchased on iDay. The wife uses it so she gets the next new one while I continue to use the 3G w/3.0

It needs a new battery as sadly it is no longer holding a full charge. I will replace the battery after I get her the next released iPhone.

4. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Yep, I use my 1st iPhone as an iPod touch and remote for my ATV.

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'll be keeping my 2G iPhone and using it as . . . my iPhone (dundunduuuuuun)

The thing's not even 18 months old.

6. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Still keeping mine as I got it a few months before iDay so it reminds me of some really good memories at work! :)

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I still have my 4 GB :)eek:) original iPhone I got on iDay.

Saw no compelling reasons to upgrade to the iPhone 3G so I skipped that.

This year may be different, however. Time will tell.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My wife and I still have ours for their superior build quality and battery life. If we do upgrade to 3rd-gen iPhone, we can use them as back-ups.

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My story:

Bought an original refurbished iPhone 16GB.
    Used it for 3 months.
    Realized that AT&T was rolling out 3G in my area.
    Gave my iPhone to my girlfriend for free.
    Bought an iPhone 3G and had it replaced 3 times for different issues.
    Used my iPhone 3G for about 6 months
    Bought a used original iPhone 8GB, but it was all scratched up.
    Bought a refurbished original iPhone 4GB in mint condition.
    Sold my 8GB and kept the 4GB.
    Activated my 4GB iPhone and put my 3G in a drawer.
    I like the original iPhone and 3G doesn't live up to it's hype. It's still pretty slow for me.

The end.

At least I always have the option of switching back to my 3G again. I just think the metal case on the 1st gen iPhone is a lot better and smoother in my hands. The plastic just gets super greasy and dirty too easily and that bothered me to the point where I was afraid to touch my iPhone if I didn't wash my hands. I hated wiping it off every time I used it.

10. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I'm hanging onto mine.

Although I use a 3G iPhone as my main personal phone, I'm gonna use the 2G iPhone as my "test unit". I've already got 3.0 running on it nicely.

11. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Hubby has original. I have 3G. I absolutely love the GPS, and it's very useful to me!!

12. AppleDudeAxion macrumors newbie

AppleDudeAxion

Still have mine!!!:D And don't believe I will ever be able to let it go. While the whole 3g did excite me. It just didn't have the class i was looking for. I mean who could ever think that by having a plastic back it would be cool. Now if the guys at the big A:apple:. Design something with another plastic back. The only way i could see myself jumping to up grading. Is if the new iphone has some very cool hardware added. Other then that ill be rocking my very sexy, and very envied original iPhone, for another year.

13. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Yep

I intend to hang onto my 7-month old 1st generation iPhone at this point. If Apple introduces an aesthetically compelling revision in the summer (i.e., replace the horrible plastic), I will purchase it. Otherwise, I will hang onto my phone for another year.

I would love to have MMS, and it's unfortunate that Apple has decided not to make the feature available to original iPhone users, but I have made do with it, and I imagine that I will continue to do so.

Jude

14. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

wattage

Yeah, I agree that the plastic is not pleasing. The MMS might put me over the hump to get a new version, along with HD size. Now that i use it for nursing apps for work I have to constantly drop music or video for space.

15. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

16gb 1st gen. I'm on tmobile paying virtually nothing for internet. I personally don't see how paying 80 a month for a cell phone is worth it, on top of paying for a land line internet. People are crazy imo. **** that!

16. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I have to agree that the build quality and battery life on the original iPhone is
    the best reason to keep it.

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I still have it as an iPod Touch if that counts :p

18. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I have an original iPhone but it's in a horizontal speaker dock and it's only function is to serve as my alarm clock.

I recently traded my Blackberry Bold for an iPhone 3G last week so that's what I use now. Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in. :eek:

19. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

I still got my 2G :) I'm going to give it to my mom to get the new iphone this year if I can, but I won't sell it because it is a collectible to me and plus the baseband doesn't get updated....yay!

20. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I see you're also a G1000 fan too!

Good choice!

21. ryvetted macrumors member

1st Gen, 8G

I don't want to give it up.
    But I need MMS and GPS.

22. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Hopefully if a new iphone is coming this year it will feature the sexiness of the 2G and the features and capabilities of the 3G + 3.0!! :D GPS is not that OMG but MMS I would really love since my friends and family all are txt addicts and I'm the only one with a text-crippled phone.

23. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Yeah, love the G.

24. ayasinsk macrumors regular

Still got mine original 8GB iphone 2G, got it June 29th, 2007 (the day it came out). Last summer didn't find the 3G compelling enough to upgrade. If this new iphone that's coming out a week or two before June 29th will be a big improvement (which I seriously doubt), then I will upgrade. Also Palm Pre user interface and multi tasking is far more advanced so that's something else to think about.

25. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef