Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
iOS 11’s multi-tasking has taken some getting used to. I’m getting the hang of it.
But I wish when in an app, you could swipe down from the top of the screen and get a search option which led to being able to bring apps into split-screening or slide over. At the moment you get the “new” lock screen which you can swipe to the left to get to widgets and search, but you can’t drag apps from search results anywhere.
This would be a nice solution that fits within the iOS 11 design.

That’s an excellent point, I hadn’t noticed it myself. I mostly use spotlight (which I believe can only be invoked with a hardware keyboard?) and from there pull in apps to multitask with. They should really extend that function to the search that’s on the widget page as well.

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
I do agree they can improve on it ten folds. We probably won’t see big improvements to it until iOS 12. I like the ideas you have for it.
I would say take it a step further. From your screenshot, allow us to grab a tile and place it anywhere we want and size it any size we want. That's what it *feels* like we should be able to do.
I had the “windowed” multitasking while jailbroken on iOS 8, and while it sounds super neat and better, it isn’t. The windows are too small to work with, it’s hard to get it in a position where they’re easy to use, and there’s a lot of screen relistate that’s wasted. One big benefit to it though is you can do it with any app, but I’m hoping all the apps that make sense for it support native when iOS 11 releases.

Reactions: jalyst

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
Eh. To be fair though, my point isn’t that the new multitasking method is “confusing”, I’m sure anyone can figure out. — all I’m saying is that (1) the old method was far easier as it took less steps: drag from right, and (2) that there is a far more elegant and easier way to implement the iOS 11 functionality imo (i.e. swipe up to activate multi-tasking, drag the apps you want to the sides) without manipulating some bloody floating window via a tiny gray handle. That’s the part that frustrates me.

I guess one can always argue that something fits their workflow better, I totally get that, but like objectively one is worse because it’s just harder.

If there’s a way to take the elevator, why force users to take the stairs to get to the same floor. The argument that “well, if you’ve never taken the elevator you’ll be fine with the stairs anyway” is probably true, but why would you do that?
[doublepost=1503875141][/doublepost]Just to balance out my bitching though and so I don’t come across like a douche I do want to say that one thing I do REALLY like about the new multi-tasking is being able to drag apps from spotlight right onto an existing app. So I’m not just huffing and puffing.

Reactions: jalyst and profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Eh. To be fair though, my point isn’t that the new multitasking method is “confusing”, I’m sure anyone can figure out. — all I’m saying is that (1) the old method was far easier as it took less steps: drag from right, and (2) that there is a far more elegant and easier way to implement the iOS 11 functionality imo (i.e. swipe up to activate multi-tasking, drag the apps you want to the sides) without manipulating some bloody floating window via a tiny gray handle. That’s the part that frustrates me.

I guess one can always argue that something fits their workflow better, I totally get that, but like objectively one is worse because it’s just harder.

If there’s a way to take the elevator, why force users to take the stairs to get to the same floor. The argument that “well, if you’ve never taken the elevator you’ll be fine with the stairs anyway” is probably true, but why would you do that?
[doublepost=1503875141][/doublepost]Just to balance out my bitching though and so I don’t come across like a douche I do want to say that one thing I do REALLY like about the new multi-tasking is being able to drag apps from spotlight right onto an existing app. So I’m not just huffing and puffing.

I hear what you’re saying. I think it’s a pretty fair argument for the old system. It definitely felt so quick to just pull from the right and choose an app. The only criticism it seemed to have garner though was scrolling through a long list of apps to choose from. That part of the function I definitely got annoyed with at times as the list could get long and tedious to look through.

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
The only criticism it seemed to have garner though was scrolling through a long list of apps to choose from.

Totally - I 100% agree that part of multi-tasking on iOS 10 sucked, so the fact that Apple added the ability to drag app icons into the split screen rather than scroll forever to hunt for them in iOS 11 is definitely a huge improvement.

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
Eh. To be fair though, my point isn’t that the new multitasking method is “confusing”, I’m sure anyone can figure out. — all I’m saying is that (1) the old method was far easier as it took less steps: drag from right, and (2) that there is a far more elegant and easier way to implement the iOS 11 functionality imo (i.e. swipe up to activate multi-tasking, drag the apps you want to the sides) without manipulating some bloody floating window via a tiny gray handle. That’s the part that frustrates me. I guess one can always argue that something fits their workflow better, I totally get that, but like objectively one is worse because it’s just harder. If there’s a way to take the elevator, why force users to take the stairs to get to the same floor. The argument that “well, if you’ve never taken the elevator you’ll be fine with the stairs anyway” is probably true, but why would you do that?

Thanks, that FULLY clarifies things for me!

Just to balance out my bitching though and so I don’t come across like a douche I do want to say that one thing I do REALLY like about the new multi-tasking is being able to drag apps from spotlight right onto an existing app. So I’m not just huffing and puffing.

Interesting, thanks!

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
A swipe from the right, at the moment, brings back the latest dismissed “window” app

It does only in the event if the app was a “floating” window - if it was a proper split screen it doesn’t work.

After thinking about it, my only desire is to still have the ability to swipe from right to bring back whatever app you had COMMAND+TABbed away from into split screen OR if you dismissed an app from split screen by dragging the handle to the right, to be able to bring it back.

That one interaction (dragging from right) is just a huge timesaver, and having it doesn’t take away from any of the functionality Apple introduced in iOS 11 anyway, so my vote is to bring it back.

Last edited:

jalyst

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2009
All of this is totally alien to me; anyone know of any great tutes to learn all of these trick moves in iOS10/11?
I'm still on iOS10x, but will probably move to iOS11x in ~1wk...

Relax.wealthy.enchant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2017
Help system? I mean there’s a “Tips’ app but I find it a piece of junk you should be able to delete, but can’t. YouTube is your friend. ;)

Reactions: jalyst

FatalFallacy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
A swipe from the right, at the moment, brings back the latest dismissed “window” app
Really love that one, as this allows me to float in e.g. the messages or twitter app in an instant.
I hardly used the iOS10 way to swipe in the app list, as scrolling through the list and identifying the app i wanted to use took way to long for me.

Reactions: canesalato

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Really love that one, as this allows me to float in e.g. the messages or twitter app in an instant.
I hardly used the iOS10 way to swipe in the app list, as scrolling through the list and identifying the app i wanted to use took way to long for me.
I agree with you. Seems we are a minority...at least here

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
iOS 11’s multi-tasking has taken some getting used to. I’m getting the hang of it.
But I wish when in an app, you could swipe down from the top of the screen and get a search option which led to being able to bring apps into split-screening or slide over. At the moment you get the “new” lock screen which you can swipe to the left to get to widgets and search, but you can’t drag apps from search results anywhere.
This would be a nice solution that fits within the iOS 11 design.

Spotlight search needs to be at the ready with keyboard up by a single gesture like it was on ios10. Used to be able to do a small pull down anywhere in 10 and there it was. Now as you described, it’s relegated off to an afterthought.

Ios11 is supposed to be a productivity, pro user update, and this not being available in some form is baffling.

I vote for a 3 stage swipe from bottom. Currently on iPad there are 2 stages, 1 the app bar, 2 the tasks/control centre. Swiping to the top should reveal stage 3, trigger spotlight with kB at the ready.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Spotlight search needs to be at the ready with keyboard up by a single gesture like it was on ios10. Used to be able to do a small pull down anywhere in 10 and there it was. Now as you described, it’s relegated off to an afterthought.

Ios11 is supposed to be a productivity, pro user update, and this not being available in some form is baffling.

I vote for a 3 stage swipe from bottom. Currently on iPad there are 2 stages, 1 the app bar, 2 the tasks/control centre. Swiping to the top should reveal stage 3, trigger spotlight with kB at the ready.

I mentioned this in the “personal reflection” thread. It’s a bizarre omission not to have this available without a hardware keyboard attached. I usually have mine on their but, on the occasions I don’t it really breaks my workflow.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
The new multitasking is easier to use. Infinitely scrolling through whatever order iOS 10 used to show compatible split screen apps was awful. Plus iOS 11 literally tells you how to work it during setup.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
1. I read that you are able to drag an app from the dock to the middle of the screen and it becomes a floating app on top of other apps? When I drag to the middle it only seems to want to docked to the right of my screen.

2. When dragging all the way from the dock to the app switcher, how do you start multitasking with 2 apps in this view?

Thanks.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
1. I read that you are able to drag an app from the dock to the middle of the screen and it becomes a floating app on top of other apps? When I drag to the middle it only seems to want to docked to the right of my screen

To put an app in split, drag it all the way to the edge. To put an app in slideover (the thing you're talking about) drag it a little way from the edge. You'll notice a difference in shape before you even let go.

2. When dragging all the way from the dock to the app switcher, how do you start multitasking with 2 apps in this view?

If you're already in multitasking view, trying to take an app from the dock and merge it with an app that's already open simply drag the icon and hover over the existing window until it expands, keep dragging to edge (or near it if you want slideover) and let go. If that wasn't the use case you were asking about, describe it and I'll try to help.

Reactions: kat.hayes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.