iPhone XS Max Anyone else have sharp/rough edges on their Max??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joefrank64k, Sep 21, 2018.

1. joefrank64k thread starter macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Self-quote here...

Just heard from Apple. They sent me a link to upload pics of the phone, which I did. They said they’d get back to me today.

I guess it would’ve been easier to just go into an Apple Store, but the two closest to me (Brea and Pasadena, CA) are total zoos on normal weekends, I can’t imagine what they’re like on a launch weekend. I didn’t want to be within a mile of either, haha!!

2. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

Mine had some leftover green plastic tape on the corner.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2018 ---
    Brea wasn’t too bad today. Was in line for maybe 4 minutes. But, yeah, it’s usually a nightmare there.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Returned mine that had the rough edges tonight and then bought a space gray that is every bit as smooth as my X so now I'm thrilled.

4. joefrank64k thread starter macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Wow, how about that? Well, if I don’t hear back today, I’ll be at Pasadena bright and early (better breakfast options near there haha!!). Thanks for the report. And sorry about the green tape. :)

5. vito macrumors 6502a

Just got back from the Apple store, no problems in getting the unit swapped out. They immediately acknowledged the issue and as I'm on the iUP the process was a bit long. They said they don't need to do a second credit check but rather an update to Barclays in the UK with the new device serial.

6. og3og macrumors regular

og3og

Might try another Apple store to see if I will have better luck getting it swapped out and not have to do another credit check. It should be that way, because when you get your device replaced by Genius Bar, they don’t make you do another credit pull, they just update the serial. Didn’t think about that when I was in the store. Store was super busy, so maybe employee didn’t think about that either.

7. chillenandy321 macrumors regular

chillenandy321

8. joefrank64k thread starter macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

I heard back from Apple. They arranged for a swap at my local Apple Store. Walked in, easy-peasy. New one is smooth as butter all around.

Happy XS Max owner!! Until next year, haha!!

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If someone does have rough edges around the phone, it’s an easy exchange, as Apple can’t deny something like this being it’s not normal and certainly wasn’t intended to be manufactured this way.

10. anthonyochs macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2018 ---
    Apple is making more than one of their products with noticeable sharp edges. And I think it is so that you buy a cover or case. The new iPad is the same way and I chatted them and the guy acted like I was crazy and I told him I wasn’t going to pay for a cover because of their flaw. I think everyone should do that then go to Apple and get a cover. If they tell you you are crazy or they have never heard anything about it and to take it into the store. I along with another person I know have done the same thing. Apple is doing many things to get you to purchase their products. It’s so they can make more money. They can careless about the product they are giving to their consumer. Eith the why , how, what way of pitching things, you can entice and sell anything. It’s all advertisement and emotionally selling. I’m done with Apple. Android is just as good. They even put us Apple and android users against us, do you think that was for friendly banter or was that to get people more emotionally attached to these companies??? ;) catch me there?

11. davedvdy macrumors 6502a

That is pretty terrible actually since I believe Citizen does hard inquiries each time.

12. jackie-chan macrumors newbie

jackie-chan

I have this same problem on my Xs. It's absolutely insane considering the phone costs $1,400. Went in and returned it and the 2nd phone I got was even worse! My iphone X is perfectly smooth... Going to have to take the 2nd phone back for another exchange..

13. Lammy macrumors member

I’m on my 4th one. Each one has a gap in a separate spot

14. Oreon macrumors regular

Oreon

Went through 2 silver Xs max with this issue, settled on a space grey which is pretty much spot on.

15. Tomtank78 macrumors newbie

4th phone here getting my 5th phone replacement delivered this week each one has terrible problems dents,gaps,rough edges,dust under camera,yellow screen seriously not spending £1250 for this unfinished product this why Apple get away with these flaws no one complains or even care about it.

16. Unnamed1 macrumors member

I am now on my 3rd iPhone XS Max and now looking to swap for a 4th in the next few days.

• Phone 1 - Came with a massive chunk out of the rubber gasket (top left).
    • Phone 2 - Absolutely covered in glue all along the sides, so much so that the phone was stuck to the box. Also when you pressed on the screen or picked the device up it made a loud popping noise from the screen
    • Phone 3 - Deep scratch in the gasket (top right) this time and blobs of glue all falling out of the frame
    Every one of these has had the issue with the blobs of glue being stuck in the frame. I just got a small brush and cleared them out, but for £1449 this is really not acceptable.

17. Tomtank78 macrumors newbie

What amazing thing is some people don't even care about the yellow screen and dents or the defects they are indeed happy to be owning the latest phone this why Apple gets away with things like this sod them why spend millions on quality control 99.9% our customers never complain about these issues they are happy to be owning the latest apple product.

Imagine samsung did this will be worldwide news.

18. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

Yes, my first Max had sharp raised edges along both sides. Apple tech noticed it right away and swapped it, and not only is the replacement 100% smooth all around the edges (as it should be), but the display is way nicer than the first (brighter, more even, more contrast). So, I guess I got lucky.

19. Alexrat1996 macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

Mine had a tiny speck of glue on the back dose it affect the phone no so I got a blue case and it’s hidden.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And you decided not to request an exchange? I’m surprised you decided to use a case to hide the adhesive on the back of the phone versus actually ask Apple for replacement, which they gladly would have if it was a factory mistake.

21. Alexrat1996 macrumors 68040

Alexrat1996

Replacing the phone for a refurb is not the same as how it came from the factory and I have other electronics that’s have small defects and I won’t deal with Warrenty till it an issue.

It’s a small cosmetic defect no one in the world will see it and I’m only keep this phone 12 months.

No need to exchange till it gets worse and it appeared after using the phone for two weeks.

While hiding in the case it won’t be able to see it and it’s a hassle also to get Zagg to give me a replacement glass cover.

22. Unnamed1 macrumors member

Yeah it didn't really bother me at first as I just got a brush and cleaned it all out as best I could.

The third time you experience it though and have to clean that glue off again I was defnitely thinking of getting my money back this year.

23. Lammy macrumors member

Can you post pictures of yours?

24. Yunklucy00 Suspended

Crazy for the price we pay for these items I know no company is perfect but glue hanging out of the screen and sharp and rough edges they are taking the p!ss.

25. Oreon macrumors regular

Oreon

I don’t have the ones with sharp edges anymore I sent them back.