iPhone XS Max Anyone else have sharp/rough edges on their Max??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joefrank64k, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Lammy macrumors member

I meant the good phone. I still haven’t found one lol.

2. shadow82x macrumors 6502

Week 38 production. Found one with no sharp edges. It was a first after a few exchanges. (Though I was exchanging because of the screen not edges..)

3. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

My back plate is not flush all the way around. Just noticed it as I got it a few hours ago. I’m going to exchange it tomorrow. If they won’t I’ll just return it and buy it again.

4. jackie-chan macrumors newbie

jackie-chan

On my 5th Xs black now. Will have to change apple stores because they stopped letting me exchange it in my local area. Driving me insane. Seriously considering just returning the phone altogether. Each time you return the phone you can't go back to an old one according to the employees. This last one is better than the rest I had but it's still not flush. If you're charging $1,400 for a product it better be perfect.

5. Zivansi macrumors newbie

Zivansi

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]t[​IMG] i have also this problem. The service provider rejected the reclamation.

6. Manab28, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

Manab28 macrumors newbie

Manab28

this happened with my x but not when i first took it out of the box i had to give it to apple for a display issue and they replaced the screen and after that i started feeling the rough edges.....
    ps i havent gotten any time since to visit the apple store for the same... also the back glass is not flush with the body i do feel a slight ridge and apple denied service for the same

7. macfan406 macrumors 6502

I just got a Xs Max in gold a short bit ago. Those hoping it would be alleviated with more production runs will be disappointed. I got mine this past Saturday.

Furthermore, I took it to Apple and their only answer was to return it T-Mobile and get a different color, or to have it sent to a service depot, and leave me with an iPhone 8 as a loaner for a week.

For someone paying more than 1k for a phone, I’d expect a better answer than what I got.

Heck, if they gave me an iPhone X or Xr for a loaner I’d be ok, but to give me an older, much smaller phone to borrow while they fix my high end product isn’t acceptable.

8. Manab28 macrumors newbie

Manab28

lol well i had the same rough edges on my iphone x and after a month long wait they finally did give me an replacement sadly it too has a slight rough corner (not an entire edge just the bottom right corner ) i coudnt be bothered to go back again so im sticking with it btw they gave me an 16gb iphone 6 as the loner so bruh what u got was still a whole lot better

9. macfan406 macrumors 6502

It's just the fact that a.) they can't do this in house, like really? They can replace it in house and charge me if I break it, but if it's a defect they have to send it away and b.) loan out an older phone? People have gotten used to using their iPhone a certain way. If you're sending an all screen phone out for repair, you should get something comparable. Like I said, even a Xr would have been fine, since I don't have to go back to using the button which I haven't done since I got my 2018 Pro.

10. Manab28 macrumors newbie

Manab28

i know its just sad the company that once used to be praised for their exceptional build quality , quality control and customer service (more emphasis on the last one) has now spiraled down to this

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Do you realize how many iPhones are produced annually? They manufacture almost 6,000,000 iPhones approximately a week, and you want to blame them for poor ‘quality control’ because your iPhone has rough edges? What about all the millions of other iPhone users that likely don’t have concerns, that doesn’t mean the quality control issue has spiraled out of control, it just means that there may have been a certain batch from the early on production that others were experiencing rough edges, but you can’t speak for Apple quality control as a whole, especially given their production levels.

12. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Apple’s customer service is still unmatched.

My XS Max is perfect and I do not have any problems regarding edges, everything feels so smooth and seamless.

If I had any problem, I would head to Apple Store, before creating a thread on MacRumors first.

13. Manab28 macrumors newbie

Manab28

dude so you wanna tell me that my $1000 dont matter and i dont deserve to get a perfectly manufactured product, what u are saying makes no sense to me at all!!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2019 ---
    i already did
    that my friend

14. joajax macrumors newbie

Hey guys! New member here and first post! I recently purchased two XS Max, one 64 and one 256 gb. One is for my use and one is a gift. At this point they have yet to be used but right out of the box just a few days ago they both have the sharp edges around the display. They both originated from different sources but how lucky I can be lol. Anyway, took them to the Apple store and felt every demo in the store and all of them have the smooth edges. None like mine. They said the only option they had was to send them out the depot? to have them looked at. They said they may repair or replace the phones, but also said they could come back with no issues found. I should get them back in a week or so. One I can return as it's within two weeks, the other one I cannot as I got it through a different source. The guy that was helping me at Apple took out his phone to check his and he also had rough edges but not as bad as mine. Haha I told him he should send his back too. Worst case, the guy said if it comes back with no issues found I may be able to call Apple and do a send out repair? Where I say I can't get to a store and they send me a new phone (that I can keep) and I just send the other phone in? He said there may be a deposit required though. Honestly, just like many on here, if I'm paying this much for a phone I want it to be perfect and not have potential for problems later i.e. possible dust collecting, maybe not as water resistant. I will update once I get the phones back. BTW, I live in Toronto and went to the Fairview Apple store.

15. macfan406 macrumors 6502

Except this is not early production. We are almost six months into steady manufacturing of a current cycle. That is not early on production.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2019 at 11:56 AM ---
    I headed to Apple, and came to MacRumors to complain that they could not resolve the issue in house. I would accept a refurbished model to replace mine, and they can send the problem device out to be investigated. That is how the Apple I know would handle this issue.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Ok? Your doesn’t tell me or anyone else anything. The only way to know if it’s an ‘early on model’, is to check the serial number. Somebody could purchase an XS today and it could have been manufactured months ago. So your argument is baseless without knowing the date, because we don’t have proof of when the phone was actually manufactured, unless somebody can elaborate otherwise when the manufacture date was. Now, if the manufacturing date was last month for a XS with rough edges, _that_ would be a better example of ‘Early on production.’

17. puma1552 macrumors 603

This is absurd. This is like the guy who has a Q5 whining that the dealer only gave him a proletariat-class Q3 to tool back and forth to work in for a few days while they fix his car. Oh the suffering and inhumanity! How could one ever be expected to sit their gold-plated ass on a lesser throne??

The point is, you should be lucky Apple offered you any loaner phone at all, to my knowledge this is basically unheard of, period.

18. joajax macrumors newbie

**************************************Update********************************

I just received an email from the Apple Depot saying the phone is on its way back to me, and by the sounds of the email it sounds like nothing was done/found. The email said I could contact Apple support with any questions/concerns I might have. Not too happy right now. Pretty sure I'll be taking this further.