Anyone else live without air conditioning?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Jul 27, 2008.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I was just wondering how many people here don't have an air conditioner? If not, why don't you have one?

I haven't had AC since....god, its probably been 5 years...since I lived in Japan. Never had it at my cheapy college apartment in Pennsylvania and its not really necessary here in Germany, rarely gets above 30, and not really all that humid(at least where I am at). Don't really miss it and it does some pretty horrible things to the environment. However, I will have it on when I go to Osaka next month!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i couldn't survive in the summer here (Melbourne, Australia) without Air Con. the 40 degree days get to you after a while...

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

If I had to live with out it, I would, but by choice, I prefer cooler climates anyway.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

your not truely aussie if you rely on air con. :p haha im pulling ya mate.

i have a pool to swim in for those hot 90% humidity 35°C days.... the beach is only down the street aswell haha.

yet to see how ill cope in the middle of the goldy at summer (started uni this year). probably only bearable.

6. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Haha same here.

The only reason you really need air con over here is for computers to keep cool in the summer, in places like schools and offices where mass groups of people congregate.

However, that said, it has been BOILING for the past few days and I kinda wish I DID have air con... (or at least a fan :p)

Doesn't help that my iMac heats up like HELL when it's hot.

7. gonyr macrumors 6502

I didn't have it for a long time, now I have it just in my bedroom. It really makes for better sleeping in the summer. The rest of the day, I'm fine with just a fan.

8. bandaros macrumors member

The AC in my room has been broken for about 12 years now. I live in Sabah, on the island of Borneo - which a lot of Western tourists think is unbearably humid :D

I get by...

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i hope your octo has readily access to some water!!!! or even nitro lol

10. foidulus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have 2 mac pros in my office, along with a powermac g5 and powermac g4 and a couple of minis, all without AC :p I always put them to sleep when I'm not at work though.

11. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

summer in NYC on the top floor of a 100+ year old building without AC? not gonna happen...

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Air conditioning is something we generally do without here in Englandshire, due to the fact hat it's usually only hot enough to warrant it for three days each year. :eek:

Today is, however, mafting. A much cheaper and delicious alternative to AC is an ice lolly, which I think I might go and have now. Ace. :cool:

13. Queso macrumors G4

We don't have it, neither in London nor Barcelona. In Barça we have an atico (basically like a penthouse, only smaller) so we just have a couple of ceiling fans installed to circulate the sea breezes coming through the windows. It helps that the main living space also faces south-east, which means it doesn't catch the full force of the sun in the afternoon.

And as already stated, you don't really need aircon in your home in London, only in the office.

Or indeed a nicely chilled bottle of wine, the like of which I have just opened :)

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Today is what?:confused:

EDIT: and chilled wine > ice lolly.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My office is f r e e z i n g
    I wear a jacket

On the flip side, in the winter is it like an oven

Building maintenance never can seem to get it right

The "right" temperature is something people rarely agree on

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be fair, you're only thinking that because you're sitting there on a bag of ice... ;)

UGA VI-uga on ice.jpg

And bartelby – mafting = unbearably hot in the local parlance. As opposed to when it's freezing cold, in which case it's nithering.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I was just downstairs fanning myself with the observer. It's 29 and I feel like I'm melting :D

18. bartelby macrumors Core

I was walking the dogs at 8:15 this morning and it was 25ºC. So I've spent the rest of the day sat in a small room with a toasty hot PB G4 and G4 QS :rolleyes::eek:

19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Got it here and have two units at home but one for upstairs is broken.

In NC, USA it's almost a necessity. Can get pretty hot and sticky June-Sept.

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Have you seen BBC news today? All the beaches are packed. I do love the English sometimes.

Stereotypical bastards we are.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And yet or forefathers seemed to get along without it
    and it is a relatively new invention in the grand scheme of man's lifetime

Must be global warming :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

22. calculus Guest

calculus

Two of these have just been consumed in the calculus household. What did you have?
    images.jpeg

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I must have air conditioning. I'm in London right now, and it's driving me nuts not having it. It's not all that hot, but it's so humid that the heat really gets to me and I just don't feel "fresh". This is probably due to the fact that I live in LA, which has air conditioning in every single indoor space. Everywhere.

24. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

AC is a major reason why the population in the South is growing so fast now. We've had more than 10 days so far this year of 100º F or hotter and even riding a motorcycle, it's hot!
    Foregathers didn't worry too much about productivity when it got that hot - it was more like survival.;)

25. calculus Guest

calculus

Which is why it is getting warmer everywhere...