Anyone else notice this on Apple's website about the Macbook's description?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aplqna, Jan 28, 2011.

1. aplqna macrumors 6502

When the unibody white Macbook was released in 2009, I read this description (which is still on the Macbook's webpage: http://www.apple.com/macbook/features.html ) "And the display is greener than ever: power efficient, free of harmful toxins such as mercury, and made of arsenic-free GLASS." Everyone knows that the Macbook's display is NOT made of glass, but rather, plastic. The edge-to-edge glass was one of the reasons I went Pro.

Also, if you go to this page http://www.apple.com/macbook/ and click on the 360 view, you will clearly see the Macbook is pictured WITH edge-to-edge glass. You can see the reflections around the bezel.

Anyway, I contacted Apple in 2009 and the representative didn't even know if the screen was glass or plastic. After 20 minutes of being on hold, the representative returned to inform me that the display was not glass, but plastic. I asked why it was advertised as glass and the answer was "I don't know".

What is up with that? Was it intended to have edge-to-edge glass and at last minute they pulled it?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The site may be talking about the Late 2008 MacBook. Which is just like the 13" Macbook Pro.

3. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

What in the world are you talking about? I am referencing Apple's current websites that describe the current white unibody Macbook. I have included the links. Follow them.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I did follow them and came to the only logical conclusion. Apple didn't update the listings since the Late 2008 model.

5. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

That doesn't explain the 360-degree image of the current Macbook with edge-to-edge glass. Also, you are wrong, Apple updated every inch of the description when this new Macbook was released. Either way, definitely false advertisement and it should be fixed.

6. al2o3cr macrumors regular

I suspect they're referring to the glass the LCD panel itself is made of, not the cover...

7. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

The LCD panel is not glass...

Also, please explain to me why it is shown with edge-to-edge glass in the 360-degree image on the page of the second link I have provided.

8. altecXP macrumors 65816

Plastic reflects too, also thats not a REAL photo, its an image.

9. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

The plastic bezel around the Macbook's screen is matte and does not reflect anything. It is not shiny like the palm rests. It is depicted with edge-to-edge glass... either way, the depiction is not accurate and can easily confuse someone shopping online who is hoping to buy a Macbook with the more premium edge-to-edge glass display. Not to mention the description in combination with the image is bordering, if not qualifying for, false advertisement.

10. altecXP macrumors 65816

Look at the images of the Dell XPS14 on the site it has a shiny bezel, in reality it's flat black.

Also.. your whining about a bezel... get real.

11. aplqna, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011

aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not "whining about a bezel". The image of the Macbook and its description is what draws people to make decisions about buying the product. It is about false advertisement. Apple is fully capable of composing images that are accurate to sell a product. The way they describe and depict the item suggests that it has a glass display. The fact, too, that I called Apple and their employees couldn't even answer a simple question like that in less than 20 minutes is concerning. I also called to inquire about the display on the new Macbook Air when it was released and they did the same thing. Both times they returned saying "it's not glass" after 20 minutes.

12. alectheking macrumors 6502a

For real lol. Even after they said the bought a MBP. I see no edge to edge glass it the 360 view. Its just their glossy renderings.

13. aplqna, Jan 28, 2011

If you have two eyes, you can see while turning the 360-degree view image that the keyboard reflects evenly off of the screen and bezel as it does on a Macbook Pro with edge-to-edge glass. The 360-degree rendering is there so that people get an accurate and complete look at the product before they decide to buy. Looking at that, it undoubtedly appears to feature edge-to-edge glass. Also, as I have provided in my first link, Apple goes a step further to propose that the display is made of glass while its own employees state time and again that it is not. It may seem like a small point, but in the legal world this is a concern. It is comparable to the latest Macrumors report in which a man is disputing Apple's bogus claims that iPhone 4's glass is hundreds of times stronger than plastic, yet it shatters at impact.
    Defend if you must, but there are holes in these lofty, and at times inaccurate, claims.

14. Phil A., Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5153d Safari/6533.18.5)

All LCD panels contain a glass substrate inside them. This will be the glass Apple are talking about. You may think the picture looks like a glass cover over the screen, but Apple make no such claims.

15. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

A glass substrate is not the same as stating "MADE OF GLASS". Also, if you read, Apple told me twice over the phone that neither the Macbook or Macbook Air's screen is glass. Bottom line.

Also, a visual depiction included in an ad for a product does indeed fall into the classification for a "claim". It is clear that the entire display is shown as glass, or at least a reflective material, when it is in fact not. If you know anything about law, Apple has a problem on its hands with both this and its claims about iPhone 4's "engineered" glass.

16. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

The bezel on the MacBook is matte. Apple made a mistake, and in the images shows the white bezel shinny. And OP, just because its shinny doesn't mean its glass. The palm rests are shinny....not made of glass. My mouse is shinny....made of plastic.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5153d Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple are making the claim with regard to the green credentials of the display: the important thing they are saying is that the glass in the display is arsenic free. They are not making claims that the display has a glass cover over it, but that the glass in the display is arsenic free.
    IMO, it's pretty clear and not at all misleading...

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Maybe it's being updated in the coming months and the 360 got updated already since it's so similar.

19. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

People might take your claims a bit more seriously if you didn't come across as so abrasive and disagreeable. There's nothing wrong with being cordial.

In any case, I think you're right that the 3d render is incorrect, and maybe slightly misleading. I don't think it's a result of a sinister plot on apple's part though; it's probably just a slight oversight on the part of the designer that put together the renders.

As for your qualms with the description of the LCD, I think it's pretty clear that apple is referring to the physical LCD panel and not to the glass cover over the screen. On the MacBook Pro page they refer to that panel as a "Glass Enclosure." If they had said the same about the white MacBook then you might have been on to something, but they didn't.

20. aplqna, Jan 28, 2011

If you look, it is clearly a level pane of glass. There is no distortion from bevel to screen. Either way, false advertisement on Apple's part. If they are not capable of composing an accurate image of their own product, there is something awry.

I would hope so, but not likely because, as I said earlier, the website has been this way going on a year and a half now.

For one thing- I never said "sinister plot", but it is indeed misleading and indisputably inaccurate. It is a big mistake for people like me who view the display as the most important part of the entire machine.

You have to understand that in the description, Apple claims the DISPLAY is made of glass. In every description of every Apple product, Apple uses the term "display" to refer to the DISPLAY and not the LCD within it. If they mean the lcd within, it should definitely say so and be clearer in the description. And you're wrong- Apple generally (there is only one place on the entire website where I have found the term "glass enclosure" that you refer to) refers to it as a "glass display". Taken from the Macbook Pro's description: "That edge-to-edge, uninterrupted glass display does more than look good." (source: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html ) They then go on to describe the Macbook's display as "made of glass". It is not unthinkable for the casual consumer to be fooled into thinking this is the same thing - a glass display - especially with the accompanying false 360-degree depiction.

21. pt0016, Jan 28, 2011

pt0016 macrumors regular

pt0016

Every display is made with glass. What is inside the display is made of arsenic free glass. What is so hard to understand about that? Notice Apple mentions the "display" not the "glass cover" which covers the display? The MacBook doesn't have a glass cover, but the display itself contains arsenic free GLASS, which is NOT false advertising on Apple's part.

If the edge to edge glass is the reason that you went Pro, then why are you posting in the MacBook forum? I think most customers will be content and wouldn't worry that their MacBook doesn't look like what a rendered 360degree picture looks like. All the other pictures seem to point out that it is not a glossy bezel, and even if it were glossy, like the other poster pointed out, it doesn't need to be glass to be glossy.

I'm not sure you understand, but the DISPLAY is the LCD. LCD Display. (Liquid Crystal DISPLAY). What sits in front of you when you are looking at your laptop is the LCD. Apple specifially mentions that the DISPLAY is arsenic free glass, sounds about right, doesn't it? And yes, it is essentially made of glass, without the glass, it wouldn't be a display, would it?

Lastly, what are you trying to get at? The description is wrong? No it's not. The 360 is misleading? Not really. What do you want us MacRumor's to do? Complain to Apple?? No, no one else has noticed, because they aren't so pedantic as some other people...

22. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not what is clearly implied. As stated many times prior, Apple's own customer service reps were thoroughly confused by the description when I called and took over 20 minutes to get the correct answer.

I can post where I want, nice try.

Doesn't matter. Not the point. Point is, there is a problem of representation in the depiction and description and it could hold legal ground- this no matter how petty you view it or how much I bug you.

It doesn't, but as I pointed out, it does indeed depict a seamless single pane of glass without reflection distortion. Either way, it depicts the product not as it is - nitpicky? Perhaps. True? Indisputably.

23. pt0016 macrumors regular

pt0016

"I can post where I want, nice try."

Yes, yes, you can, but some people don't appreciate it when you come to the forum and complain on the littlest thing, what do you expect us to do?

"Doesn't matter. Not the point. Point is, there is a problem of representation in the depiction and description and it could hold legal ground- this no matter how petty you view it or how much I bug you."

GO AND FILE A LAWSUIT THEN.

24. aplqna thread starter macrumors 6502

Wrong. Take Apple's cinema DISPLAY. And as I have said before, and I will say again, when Apple means LCD they say LCD... in almost every other case, when they say display they are referencing the complete viewing unit.

It is misleading in combination with the 360-degree image. Apple's own employees were mislead by the description and image when I showed them - LMAO!

Oh yes it is.

Seems to me you think the conversation is worth having - you must be pretty pedantic yourself to engage with me then. Call me what you will, however it will not change the description and certainly will not change the flawed 360-degree rendition.

25. 184550 Guest

Only if ones reading comprehension skills are up to par. ;)