Anyone else out there still totally satisfied with their 1st generation iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tangledweb16, Sep 14, 2011.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I've been using my friends's iPad 2 for the past few weeks, and I've decided that as a first generation owner, I am still quite satisfied with my decision to wait for a retina display to come to the iPad.

The iPad 2 is slick in how thin it is, and it's visibly faster, but I prefer the squre sides of 1 to the tapering of 2.

I dunno... Just stoked that I've gotten this much uninterrupted enjoyment out of my current iPad. Anyone else?

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

After having both, I completely miss the feel of the original iPad. I wish I could take the iPad 2 and put it in the original housing. Other than that, I'm happy I moved on.

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I use mine primarily for video watching and surfing. Other than wireless mirroring in ios5 next month there is nothing on the iPad 2 that I would really use. As for upgrading I will be waiting for the next gen. And hopefully there will be some big tech jump besides retina display.

4. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I am still satisfied with my ipad1. The main limitation I find is the amount of memory, particularly since upgrading to the iOS version that supported multitasking.

5. TarBuckI macrumors newbie

TarBuckI

Still enjoying our iPad1. We use it to control our DirecTV DVR, IMDB app when watching movies, and for casual web browsing. More than adequate for those tasks. Have no need for a camera.

6. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Still satisfied with mine. Sometimes i wish it had a camera, but then i realize that those that do have a camera on their iPad, almost never use it.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I kept my 1st gen iPad. Then I bought iPad 2.

While they both have pros & cons, I do prefer the original. I learned a long time ago that newer is not always better. :)

8. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Still have both of my original iPads.

Nothing about iPad 2 has compelled me to upgrade. Faster? No doubt. Better graphics? Sure. But I haven't run across any apps that I use that take advantage of those improvements. More memory? Now that is one thing I would like, since I am careful to close all programs (curse you, iOS4!) after using to avoid the dreaded safari page refresh.

If the iPad 2 had offerred 1GB of memory instead of a paltry 512MB, then I would have upgraded. If it had offerred a 128GB storage version, I would have bought it.

Thinner? Lighter? Don't care. I already found iPad 1 thin and light enough. Plus, I worrried about the sturdiness of iPad2 in my house with little kids. IPad 1 is built tough.

9. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Love my iPad 1 and its offical case,

Dont like the stipid magnetic cover on the iPad 2, offers zero protection to the the actual device whilst on the move, so you end up needing a case to protect it anyway and the cover becomes redundant, gimmick for the sake of it i think.

iPad 1 does what i want, lets me watch over 2 TB of itunes movie and TV content whilst in bed/the garden/on the loo/in the shower and thanks to the elgato eyetv app and turbo h.264 hardware enocdeer, i can watch TV on the train/in my hotel when travelling for work.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I bought my iPad when the 2nd one came out if that tells you anything:)

11. penfan82 macrumors regular

Me too

12. Skika macrumors 68030

You liked the price drop?

13. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

I only have an iPad 2 because I dropped my iPad 1 and the screen cracked:(. Now I have the iPad 2 I can honestly say I wouldn't be missing out if i hadn't had to buy this one

14. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Still happy with 1, not enough change in 2 to get me to switch, have an envelope full of cash marked "iPad 3."

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yup, might take a look at the iPad 3 but frankly I don't see a need to upgrade yet. Especially with iOS 5 coming soon. iOS 4 made the iPad feel completely new with all the functionality it brought and iOS 5 looks to bring some awesome usability enhancements so who knows, maybe the iPad 3 won't get a look in either?

iPad 4 maybe? Who knows? All I know is that the iPad 1 is still a brilliant bit of kit.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Still love my original iPad. Might upgrade to the 3 but only if it has a kick-ass screen.

17. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

I gave mine to my 4 year old granddaughter, and yes - she is totally satisfied with it.

18. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Its not like the device would stop working when newer version comes out. Its as great as it was:cool:

19. err404 macrumors 68020

I have both (actually my wife has the iPad2). Unfortunately, there have been few apps that show much difference between the two. The biggest down side of the original is that background safari tabs tend to reload frequently. Other then that, I have very little need to upgrade.
    I use my iPad1 daily and am still very satisfied with it. The iPad2 is somewhat held back by developers writing for backwards compatibility, then by technical limitations. But, let's be clear; the iPad2 is better in nearly every way. If I were to buy one, I would NOT consider a cheap iPad1 as equivalent to a more expensive iPad2.

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Still crazy (about it) after all these months. (apologies to Paul Simon)

21. Skika macrumors 68030

I had the iPad 1 and i only got the 2 because i got a really sweet deal on it( both in seling the old and buying the new part). I really enjoy the speed and RAM( especially the RAM). But somehow the iPad 1's aluminum felt different i dunno... Anyone has more information about that? I am really curious. I know they have different designs, but just the sheer materia itselfl felt different.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Totally happy with (now 18 month old) iPad v1.

I couldn't imagine using the rear-facing camera. And while the idea of Facetime chatting is intriguing - I can't actually see myself, my friends, or my family ever actually doing it.

The faster processor and more memory might make doing some thigns a little smoother, but overall I've been tremendously happy with the iPad 1. I certainly never feel like I'm using obsolete or even "last year's" technology. My iPad has been a near-constant companion during my travels, in my living room, while entertaining friends, and enjoying quiet time by myself. My iPad delights people when used as an impromptu slide-viewer, portable encyclopaedia (and all-around argument settler..), artistic sketchpad and music recording studio, splash-proof cookbook, and emergency night-light.

I'm actually very excited about the prospect of iOS 5, and look forward to transitioning more of my digital treasures to the Cloud. Go Apple!

23. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I bought my iPad the month it came out. I use it every day to read books, surf the web and read and answer e-mails. It works well and I see no reason to upgrade yet. I'll wait and see what iPad 3 looks like, and if it has advantages for my use, I'll upgrade. So far, I'm a happy camper.:)

24. skyton macrumors 6502

Also totally happy
    When you look at how the original iPhone aged so quickly and compare its a different story. The current OS runs fine on my iPad and I can still download all the apps.

When I can't get the latest OS will be the time I look to upgrade I think