Anyone else pick up new MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rewardsguy, Apr 30, 2014.

1. rewardsguy macrumors newbie

I ordered the new 13" MBA this morning (sadly none of my local Apple Stores had it in stock). Was debating holding off until WWDC to see if 12" rMBA comes out but after testing out the 11" MBA I think I prefer the larger size. I know it's just a minor spec bump but I'm still excited since this is my first MBA!

2. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I ordered mine last night and it arrives fingers crossed tomorrow. I went for the 11" as I want to carry it around on my travels. I already own an iMac and a retina.

4. parestailor macrumors member

parestailor

Yes my... 11.6-inch MacBook Air (late 2010) 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo / GeForce 320M 4GB RAM 128GB served me SO well

but hello new MBA 11” 2014 8GB 1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 256GB

The price point was attractive and ssd / CPU and gpu specs have massively improved since 2010

5. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Went to pick one up and started playing with it while I was waiting, then I moved over to the Macbook Pro Retina.........wow. bought the Retina right on the spot. Just remember that you get what you pay for and that applies to the Air's. Not saying that they are bad but, the solid build just isn't there. Plus the lack of ram makes it a bit slow.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Umm, what? I find my 13" MBA to be very solid, and 8 gig of memory is more than sufficient for the use cases I've got.

A bit slow? That hasn't been my experience.

7. twintin macrumors 6502

+1

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

The retina's are nice I like mine, but I am also happy to have a much thinner and lighter machine, that I can take anywhere and do the basics:)

9. woodynorman macrumors 6502

+2.

I sold my maxed out 13" rMBP for a maxed out 13" MBA. I never did like the speed of the rMBP. Got the beach ball all the time.

Doing the same tasks with the MBA, I never get the beach ball... it handles anything I can throw at it (which really isn't all that much)

10. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

You clearly know very little.

11. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

So, just to clarify, you felt like the MBA was laggy? I didn't know Apple allowed people to download Adobe Photoshop and play with their photo library on demo equipment..

Side note: I own a 2010 MBA with 2GB of RAM, and RAM is never a bottleneck for me.

12. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Whatever you were playing with wasn't a MacBook Air. They are very rigid superbly designed machines.

I have a brand new 13" rMBP and a 2011 MBA and the Air screams. The 4GB of RAM in my Air has never caused a problem.

13. michaelsviews, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014

michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Why ? Why wait when it's more than likely going to be end of year or 1st qtr of 2015 before the air's are updated. Granted no one know's for sure but if the rumored Retina come's true it's going to be a redesigned MBA

Your post makes no sense, which MBP did you buy ?

14. paulkerdot macrumors member

Wow, I thought I had a lot of APPLE products.

15. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Too funny, you have no idea about computers, Apple saw you coming. RAM has no bearing on speed, ram is temporary working space. Instead of being able to run 50 apps at the same time, you can only run 25 on the air (figuratively speaking).

What you experienced as the CPU difference.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

... You should read up on what a swap disk is.

17. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I am cutting back its an addiction:) On the plus note my new 11 has just been delivered.

18. Dave351 macrumors newbie

Dave351

My 5+ year old 15" MBP continues to serve me well, but my tax return has been burning a hole in my pocket and I decided to pick up an 11" MBA refurb (256/4).

Though I would have liked 8GB RAM, there were no refurbs with a 256/8 configuration (and 512/8 was more than I wanted to spend) so I'm hoping that 4 will be enough for me to use it while shooting tethered to my DSLR via Lightroom when I'm on location. I know the screen isn't retina, but it's still better than the camera LCD. And I have calibrated IPS panels at home connected to my desktop for the heavy-duty editing.

If anyone shoots tethered and/or uses LR5 with a 4GB MBA, I'd love to hear of your experience.

19. rewardsguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea how long it takes Apple to ship via standard shipping? It's been stuck on processing for over 24 hours even though the website says shipping within 24 hours.

20. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I ordered mine tuesday night and it arrived this afternoon.

21. Khabbi macrumors member

I ordered a 11" with 8GB Ram and 1.7Ghz processor... I feel that 128GB will be fine for me and my specific needs for this machine as it will be my travel machine and not my workhorse. I figure a USB 3.0 memory stick can provide me any extra space I happen to need also.

I currently have an iMac at home, 15" MBP (gets the most work at home unless I am processing movies/photos), and Ipad3, and I found that the MBP was too big to lug around, and I really wanted a full OS on something I use everyday as I find IOS limiting and frustrating for me personally for a lot of tasks. Sure I wish the new MBA would have been upgraded to the Retina screen, but I'll enjoy my new MBA and probably just upgrade at the time they release the rMBA.. if the price and battery stats are good.

22. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Because he asked a question. So its either a yes or no.

23. dazz87 macrumors 6502

Was able to pick up the new 2014 13" for $899.00 and able to get the student edu discount of $150.00 off. I also have last yr MBA brand new. Both were the same price with the discount. But I dont know which one to keep. Read about the slower ssd on 2014 vs 2013. The notebook is for my sister and all shes going to be doing is basic tasks (surfing, skype, and netflix) Which one will you guys keep? Thanks

24. robeddie macrumors 68000

robeddie

most of us with 4 gigs of ram, and especially those with 8, will almost never have any slowdown from swap disk under normal usage.

those of us who buy the 11 inch air don't tend to run 10 programs at a time anyway.

All you have to do is be relatively diligent about not leaving a bunch of programs open (that you don't need) and you'll be fine.

25. HeyHeyHeyy macrumors member

Just ordered the Macbook Air 13 inch model... newest version with a 1.4 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, and 128GB SSD.

With a promo code, it came out to $1,061 at MacMall. No sales tax or shipping charges either. Also had cashback on my Discover card so the real price is around $1,011. Not too bad! Basically a free RAM upgrade.