Anyone else plan on returning their i4 if the proximity sensor is not fixed on Sept 1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UCF-ENG, Aug 25, 2010.

1. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

I sure will be, been through two iPhone 4's trying to get it right. No Dice. I have my trusty 3GS waiting in the wings just in case Jobse fails miserably on the proximity sensor issue front...

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Proximity sensor issue is not wide spread, so I don't think it is as serious as Antenna issue. Why don't you just ask apple to replace your iPhone 4? They will do it at no cost. You don't even have to go to the store. Have them ship it to you.

3. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Jobs said they're working on a software fix. I think they'll come through hopefully by next week.

4. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Who said that Sept. 1st was the date it was going to be fixed or is that just your deadline?

5. celticpride678

The proximity sensor issue has been fixed in the third beta of iOS 4.1. Expect it to be announced on September 1st for a release shortly after that.

6. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

So the almost 400 page thread on apple's forums is considered not wide spread? They shut down 2 threads due to to many posts twice and is now on the third thread for this issue.... not to mention the hundreds of post on this forum!

Its wide spread bro, and if you had any clue before posting this crap you would know that this supposed "fix" in the next software update is suppose to address this issue so when you call apple or go to an apple store we are all told they will not replace our phones for this issue anymore since its suppose to be addressed in the next software update!

Lets get all our facts straight before we post in threads here guys!

So this is true how... I have read countless posts saying they have the PS issue and Beta 3 DOES not fix this issue... thanks for the reply but where do you get your rock solid info from?

The reason he is saying Sep. 1st is that's when the next Apple special event is being held and there is a HUGE chance that this issue will be discussed in this keynote from Jobs or whomever addressing the new update for 4.1. So basically on this day we should have an update or be given a date on when the update will go live.

I wont be returning my iPhone if there is no fix on this day (hell I've waited 2 months now whats another week or 2) but I will be replacing my phone 100 times after the update does come out and we all finally realize there is no fix for this issue until I get me one that works right!

7. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

so complaining online members makes this widespread

haha please

its such a skewed group of people its embarrassing

My iPhone has zero reception, screen or proximity issues

even if I think the proximity sensor is a bit pickier than the 3g/3gs, theres no reason I'm going to replace my perfect phone

8. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I still haven't had this issue! Maybe this bug happened to my girlfriend once as she moved her phone to hold it to her face with her shoulder, but that's to be expected anyways!

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm not sure what to do yet because my 30 days ends on Monday Aug 30th, and Apple now has an event scheduled for Sept 1st (just 2 days later).

10. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Sooo when a huge screen saying 'Proximity Sensor" Next Software Update .... Just POPED up behind steve jobs during his last keynote that wasn't much of a sign that this was a "Widespread" issue?

Come on guys lets not be ignorant here, he took the time to make a whole damn slide and said some folks are having issues with this and we are working on a fix, at that point they had sold how many Millions of phones........... YA Bro Old Man Jobs wouldn't take his take to waste his billion dollar breath on saying this is an issue and having his geeks create a whole slide for this issue if it wasn't an ISSUE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets keep our personal thoughts and experiences to ourselves and if you have not had ANY issues and your phone craps gold bars then stay off these threads and enjoy your PERFECT phone bro.

ALOT of us have issues and we want to discuss them.... stop trolling! :mad:

11. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

If you like your iPhone 4 then just don't worry about returning it, what will happen is one of two things. 1. They will release and update that actually fixes this issue (doubtful though) or 2. When the update does release there will be no fix and at that point cant tell us to wait for a fix anymore and we can exchange our phones for one that doesn't have this issue (and keep exchanging it till they get it right).

I am on my second phone and still both have had the same issue but of course now have to wait for this update before I can replace it again.

If you enjoy your phone as much as I do and Really want to keep it... then keep it... you will eventually get this issue resolved.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I love my phone, but I do suffer from the common known issues like the Proximity Sensor, Photos with Green/Blue Spot in the center, Phone Calls cut in and out on the other end (mic issue) and I have some minor screen problem.

A part of me also would like to see if Steve Jobs gives an update on the White iPhone. if I had to keep the Black iPhone, I would still be happy, but I have this little voice telling me "get the white one, get the white one" (metaphorically, not literally).

13. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

Not planning to return my phone if there is not a fix next week although it woud be nice if there is one. It is an annoyance, but one I can live with alongside all the other great features of the iPhone4.

14. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

how can software repair a supposed hardware problem? my sensor is fine, I'd prefer if Apple not tinker with what's working fine for me and many others

the issue is NOT widespread.... just a very vocal minority who for some reason refuse to just go EXCHANGE their iPhone for a new one...it's a hardware issue....how can Apple release a software update that not everyone possibly needs? what effect would this update have on phones without the "issue"?

15. celticpride678

Who said it's hardware. It's a software issue, not hardware.

From actual technology sources. Where are you getting your info from? Individual users? People have been reporting the proximity sensor issue has been fixed since beta 2.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My wife and I haven't had this issue either.

17. WilliamG macrumors 604

I love it. You can truly expect the fix to be announced on September 1st at the "Event." And then everyone will rejoice that their iPhone 4s finally work! lol I love Apple. They can sell you a product which gets you excited, and then they excite you all over again when their products finally work! :D

18. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

im on my 3rd iphone and have had the prox issue with all of them

19. shandyman Suspended

i don't think it is a hardware issue, as i had the problem, did the 'reset network settings' fix and i now do not have this issue. ergo it's a software issue..... even apple have said it's a software issue...

20. dark55 macrumors member

I've had three iPhone 4s and they all have had issues with the proximity sensor. I don't make many calls, so it's not a big deal for me. I'm surprised the news didn't pick up on this problem instead of the antenna issue. This problem is much more hindering in the real world.

I wouldn't doubt if a very large percentage of users are having the occasional problem and not speaking up. Of course the degree of this problem varies from no problem to can't even make a single call without muting, putting on hold, etc. Most users are likely in the occasional issue, not worth returning the phone, or don't use the phone as a phone very often category. This problem needs to be fixed soon, especially if Apple wants to keep their great reputation with users that are having this problem.

21. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

We Cant "EXCHANCE" Them !!!!!!!! :mad:

They say its software and there is a fix "Coming"

If you knew anything you would know that most cant get any replacement phones for this issue due to that!

I would exchange mine a thousand times to get it right but I have sat on my thumb for over a month WAITING cause stupid A$$ Jobs says "A Fix Is Coming" so now I have no choice but to wait.

Whats the point in all these people replying that don't have this issue? Why in the world if your phones are so PERFECT would click on this thread and post.

Let us with this issue talk amongst ourselves please! :rolleyes:

22. shandyman Suspended

my neighbour exchanged his 2 weeks ago and got a week 36 that is free of the proximity issue...

23. fasttimes macrumors newbie

Like hell it has been fixed in beta 3. I have Beta 3 and can say in no uncertain terms it does NOT fix the issue.

EDIT:

Just to prove I'm not trolling, here is my FREE workaround for the PS issue.

1) Install Callguard from the app store http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/call-guard/id386251981?mt=8
    2) If you JB'ed, use Activator to create a quick shortcut to start CallGuard.

It's annoying cos you have to remember to do it, but at least its better than hanging up on important calls.

24. Harrelson macrumors member

Mine is a week 32 and no proximity issues. Just return it and buy a brand new one on the spot.

Thats what i did when i wasn't happy with my refurb. Battery seemed poor and had no legitimate reason to return it

25. fasttimes macrumors newbie

I'm on my third 4 (i live near an apple store so its not a big deal to exchange), so unless I have incredibly bad luck its not a hardware problem related to manufacturing, but rather a hardware DESIGN error.

I'm just waiting for someone to tell me to hold the phone differently so I can tell them to shove theirs up their crack. Sideways.