Anyone Else Prefer The New (MacBook) Style Keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pbasmadj, Oct 6, 2016.

1. pbasmadj macrumors 6502

I have to admit, I was a bit unconvinced about the new style of keyboards but after using a MacBook of a family member's for quite some time, I prefer it. I anticipate that the new MacBook Pro and other models will include it to facilitate new thinner lighter style designs which I know a lot of people were opposed to. When I type something out on it and then switch to an older style, the old style just seems a bit more clunky and dated. What are other people's thoughts on the two? Either way, it is very likely what we are going to be seeing in the new computers.

I think this writer had the same feelings.

I will say, if you aren't too fond of them, give it a try for an hour or so just typing things out (typing this on it currently), and it may grow on you.

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-macbook-keyboard-review-2015-6
    1.jpg

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nope. Don't like it. Feels as if I'm typing on a flat surface. Difficult to touch type accurately.

Not that it's a bad keyboard. I just prefer the ones in the MacBook Pros.

3. pbasmadj thread starter macrumors 6502

At any rate, it is likely what is going to be the norm. I suppose they could assume that the pro level computer needs a slightly more robust keyboard and not go that way, hard to say.

I do like the direction they are going, I would say if there were one in between the two, I would probably like that the most.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Having both a MBP and the new MacBook, I am very satisfied with the new MacBook's keyboard. While I don't think it's for everybody, I certainly enjoy using it. My rMB is my delegated couch-surfing device, so I will admit I haven't done as extensive typing as I have on my MBP. But I don't think it would be an issue.

My only qualm with the MacBook keyboard is the durability/longevity. There are many documented issues on the forums about people having stuck keys, defective keys, etc. While I did experience these issues on the 2015 MacBook, I now have a 2016 MacBook and have been satisfied with my device's keyboard since day 1. Aside from this fault, I love the Macbook keyboard about equally as much as the MBP keyboard.

I do think/hope that the new MBP will be in-between the MacBook and the current MBP. I think this would be ideal as it would require less pressure-per-keypress, but would offer a more comfortable amount of travel. While the travel doesn't bother me much on the MacBook, I know when speaking about the population at large that many would strongly dislike the current MacBook's keyboard config.

5. cornishbrooksy macrumors member

Same as OP.....sceptical when first used it, expected it to be terrible, especially as hate typing on an iPad.....but a couple of hours later and i almost fell in love with it.

I am hoping the new MBP has this style keyboard....don't know what it is about it, just felt nice to me.

6. pbasmadj thread starter macrumors 6502

It is going to be a very interesting couple months here. I am so shocked at the sparsity of rumors on the new pro. It is mind boggling.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, not me. I like the key travel and feel of the current ones over the new keyboard.

8. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Nope, been using for like 4 months. I miss characters constantly from the stupid thing

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That's the Magic Keyboard.

10. thettareddast macrumors member

its not bad for pure typing, in that i dont type slower than i did before, but it gets stuck often, and it has ****** feel.

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I only tried the keyboard briefly in the store, but I could definitely tell touch typing would require more refined precision than its predecessor. The keys are just so shallow it was easier to strike an adjacent key, because you had no time to correct if you came down on the wrong one.

12. jerm13 macrumors member

I also tried out the new Macbook in the store and hated it instantly. The Pro keyboard is my favorite of any laptop I've used.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've tried the retina MacBook keyboard repeatedly and every time I can't stand it.

14. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I know most people will disagree, but I love the new keyboard on the MacBook and hope the new MBP gets it too. I also prefer the new, more shallow Magic Keyboard than the old Apple Wireless Keyboard. I know it's a matter of taste and personal choice, but I don't really understand how depth of keys relates to typing precision. I am just as precise on the MacBook keyboard, and I really love how the keys don't wiggle when I press them off-center. I'm a bit OCD, so I don't like it when I press the side of a key and it tilts a bit.

I love how solid the new keyboards feel. They are still tactile, it's not like you're typing on glass, but at the same time they are easy to press, firm, and even have slightly larger keys, if I'm not mistaken.

As I said, it's all a matter of taste.

15. jozero macrumors regular

I liked it. I like the external magic keyboard even more (though I will never understand why its "magic"). Something in between the key travel for the Pro would be welcome.

16. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

It really depends on adapting to that thin keyboard. The feedback is quite satisfying actually, if used correctly. I started typing on it like I do always on different keyboards, it made me feel no travel at all. I push the keys faster normally. When I tried to push gently to the keys, the feedback was so great, it was a stiff click. If it had only a little bit more travel, I'd have fallen in love with it.

17. jerryk macrumors 68020

I tried it at the Apple store and walked away shaking my head. I cannot imagine typing much more than a 1 page memo with that keyboard.

But, I can barely handle the keyboard on my rMBP. Give me a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX brown switches for any serious typing.

18. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Me? I personally prefer the old IBM Selectric keyboards of the 80s. Changing type styles was as easy as popping in a new ball. What a huge improvement over those swinging and banging type arms of old. It was a bit heavy though and portability meant I had to find a plug in.

Considering I have a 2015 12" rMB, the keyboard works very well. But not everyone can use the Selectric nor do they find its touch pleasing.

o_O

19. Tarek macrumors 6502

I've tried both and I prefer the old style. I actually had a difficult time typing properly on the new MacBook's keyboard, mostly because there is basically no travel and it feels annoying. Perhaps if I had bought the new MacBook, I'd have gotten used to it after a while, however in the time being I'd vote for the old style keyboard.

20. Silvestru Hosszu macrumors member

It is a very personal thing. At my office I'm using a mechanical keyboard with cherrry mx blue switches, on the road and at home I used macbook pro, and now I have the rMB.
    While I can easily type on this new shallow keyboard, if its up to me I will chose every the old style keys and for serious typing the mechanical keyboard is my way to go.

21. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

You all do realize there is a compromise here; if one wants a very thin and portable computer then the new keyboard is a better option and getting used to it is mandatory.

After using the new touchpad going back to the older one seems really antiquated. I think eventually the same will be said with the keyboard.

22. Silvestru Hosszu macrumors member

Not necessarily. You are probably true regarding notebooks. But desktop keyboards changed a lot less over time and may I say that the gold standard (mechanical in my case) is still the same from the 90's onwards.
    It is very possible that the desktop space will stay virtually unchanged till a totally new/different input device will take their place.

23. pbasmadj thread starter macrumors 6502

On this note, it would be cool if the MacBook Pro had something in between, but I guess we will see. Honestly, it seems like the MacBook Air is sort of at odds with having a place. Now, as the MB is now the "Air" by far.

24. Freyqq macrumors 68040

So far, I like the keyboard on the 2010 MBP the best out of all the computers I have used - even better than the rMBP. Macbook keyboard has too little key travel for my taste.

25. pbasmadj thread starter macrumors 6502

Wouldn't that be, the keyboard that is basically on all of their laptops minus the rMB