Anyone else regretting their space black stainless steel choice

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by echo44, Apr 11, 2015.

1. echo44 macrumors 6502

Not sure after going to the Apple store today? The regular SS looks awfully nice and is more versatile?

I have a mid May delivery date Hate to loose my place in line
    :(

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I bought a matte black pebble steel and I regret not getting silver it works a lot better with watch band choices Imo, the silver that is

3. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I would have, but when I originally ordered at 3:07am, I got a June delivery and went ahead and ordered a SS with a sport band to hold me over for a month or so. Then I found out about the 2 per household limit, and this morning cancelled my black after seeing more real life pics of both.

4. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Less band choices from jump for sure; unless you get an adapter... but, the Space Black SS is by far more badass than the standard SS!
    You made the right choice, I assure you... :)
    You're going to own this for an entire year!! I am certain so many perfectly matched band choices will become available for you that it will be staggering...
    This was my 1st choice... unfortunately, some expenses came up & I am getting the Space Grey aluminum, but I definitely envy you. I think SS Space Black is by far the most handsome variety available.
    I am getting the the black & white sport bands from Apple, a band from Casetify that has streaming Matrix Code down it... & along with a Click adapter, a 22mm Space Grey Milanese that perfectly matches, as soon as one shows up on Amazon.
    Definitely on the 2nd gen though, I'm going the route you went... lol, I haven't even got my 1st one, and I can hardly wait for that day. :)

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Did they even have the SS black at your Apple Store? It seems they're not doing try-one for it. I'm sure it'll look better than SS.

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I hope more and more people regret it 'cause it's like the hardest to find SS out there.

7. echo44 thread starter macrumors 6502

They had it in the display case but not available for try on?
    'interesting a guy next to me in the store was complaining that you couldn't order it without a link bracelet. I guess I can always return it.

8. splogue macrumors regular

splogue

Nope.

A few months ago I bought a $400 black DLC titanium Citizen as a daily driver. It was my first black watch, and I love it.

When the Apple watches were announced, I knew that one would be the most expensive, and would cost accordingly. But, for me, there really weren't any other choices. It was either buy that one, or wait until next year for the new models.

No way I'm buying something I'm not happy with. Now that really would have been a waste of money.

Next year they need to drop the gold and add titanium. And a camera. That would catch my interest enough to buy a second one. Well, it will if it isn't ten grand. I'm not stupid.

9. tmf3lehigh, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

tmf3lehigh macrumors newbie

Canceled my space black SS order (May 13-27 delivery). After seeing it in store, it just was not what I was expecting. I was hoping for a graphite colored band and it does look graphite, but only under direct light. When viewed at angles "shielding" the direct light of the display case, it was a pure, dark black. And that may be desirable to some, but after wearing watches with silver links for at least the last 15 years, it wasn't for me. I hope this helps with others' decision.

10. matrix07, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Graphite look will be Space Grey. If it's not completely black people will be mad.

I saw my wife PAM1970 and I fell in love with the color combination right away
    [​IMG]

It's complete black in real life and it looks great. I hope if I got black SS I will find a nice leather band to go with it.

11. bobTX10 macrumors member

I tried on the stainless steel band and loved the quality but did not like the color. it looked plain. The SB SS looked much nicer in person. But to be honest, it was the SB SS watch face that i wanted. It will have that weighted premium feel and durability with the DLC coating.

12. echo44 thread starter macrumors 6502

will the sport band in black with "space grey pins" look ok with this?
    the "space grey pins" comes form apple's web site

13. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Space Grey is very close to black on the polished pin piece, so it will match very well.

14. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I'm a watch fanatic and black is definitely a hard color to make look elegant. After all these years, the only black watch that impressed me was my Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon (see attached), which is made completely of ceramic and is black all over. But now, the Space Black SS has joined the ranks of VERY RARE elegant black colored watches in my opinion. All those who ordered one, including myself, please enjoy it to the fullest extent. Silver watches are a dime a dozen, a slick black watch is hard to come by.

Attached Files:

15. zacheryjensen, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I nearly bought it myself but realized near the last minute that the all black watch I have been wearing over a year now is just... kind of boring. I mean, it seems cool in theory, but, it fades away, it does a bad job at being jewelry. I think the Space Black SS looks great, as a novelty, but, I decided I would rather have a little flash and shine this time around so I went regular SS + White sport and separately ordered a link bracelet for better estimated ship times.

I actually think I would've been more interested in the SB if it was a little bit more graphite-colored than it is, or, if somehow the case could be textured like the band. Without texture, the black shiny case just looks like glossy plastic to me. Band looks much more interesting, but, only close up. From afar, it's just an obscure black band on your arm.

Well, that's my take anyway. I'm weird in that I actually totally wish I could somehow have that full gold one of a kind watch Apple gave to ol' Karl :eek: Not even really into gold normally but that thing is just glorious.

----------

This watch works because of a huge amount of fine white detail all over its face, all the time. However, the SB Apple Watch is going to have no detail 99% of the time. I think that makes an enormous difference in its passive appearance.

It'll probably be enjoyable to the owner for a while, but, overall, I think it will become somewhat less interesting and more disappointing before the SS does.

But that's all taste, and there's no accounting for that...

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

If your store is anything like most, the display case model is nothing like the shipping model. The color of the display case models seem to from an early batch. They are very light black almost gunmetal colored as opposed to dark black. The stores that have a try on version are dark black, almost like a different model.

17. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Maybe they are a "dime a dozen" is because more people like them.

A "slick black" watch may be hard to come by because so few want them that they aren't made.

I thought long and hard between the SS and Space Black SS. There was an initial attraction to the black as it was more unusual. But with more thought, it just became obvious to me that the gimmick effect of the black would wear off and the more elegant and beautiful SS would be eternal.

18. H3rman macrumors 6502

I've seen the ones in stores on the tables, but my store never had any to try on, however if they look even remotely like any of these 2 pics I'll be very happy....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You say the actual in store try on ones are darker. I'm assuming you mean like the first pic? As the 2nd pic is more grey-ish. To be honest, I actually prefer how it looks in the first pic.

All look good to me though.

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Have you seen the SS black in the flesh? Only reason I say, comparing it to the omega dark side of the moon, they are a world apart , in my opinion . The silver SS looks a lot nicer and elegant, with the bracelet. The black SS looks great in pictures, that did not translate for me in the flesh though. Neither have anything on the omega though, it's in a league of its own against these smart watches.

20. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I agree, it's much darker than I was expecting in person. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something worth considering.

21. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Nope. I tried on the SS as well and it does look nicer I admit, but I can't justify the cost right now (it is a huge amount of money for something I simply don't need), plus I'd rather invest once I know that this product is actually useful for me, and once I see what the hardware progression looks like (and once Apple Pay is launched in UK).

Beware of getting caught up in the 'grass is greener' viewpoint - just sit back, relax, and when your watch arrives, enjoy it. If in time in turns out you'd prefer something different, I'm sure you can make that happen - there's no need to 'regret' anything right now.

22. Wishbrah macrumors regular

Can't wait for my Space Black! June is so far away...but it'll be worth it. It's so sharp looking.

23. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

Anyone else regretting their space black stainless steel choice

I agree! I can't wait and, not to rub it in, I only have till May!

24. Aeons macrumors member

this is my daily watch, love it.

But the black on the DSOTM is a lot darker and nicer than the apple watch ss space black. i would actually call it the apple watch ss really dark space grey

25. tmiw macrumors 68000

If anyone regrets theirs after receiving it I might be open to taking it off your hands. ;)