Anyone else returning or selling theirs?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dexterbell, Apr 25, 2015.

?

Did you cancel or return an Apple Watch?

1. Yes, I cancelled my order.

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Yes, I returned my order.

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. No, but I sold it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I am keeping the watch and/or my order

27 vote(s)
    87.1%
  1. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

I wasn't sold on the Watch, haven't worn one since I was a kid. Didn't order one but played with one in the store last week and yesterday decided to buy a 38mm Sport off Craigslist. After a day with it, its more annoying then helpful. Firstly, it lags and/or stutters doing pretty much everything. Second, even at full brightness its too dim for me. Third, maybe Im an old 40 but just using it for more than 5 minutes hurts my eyes as everything is so small. Lastly, I just don't see a use for me. Pretty much every email says it can't be viewed on the watch and to use my iPhone...so whats the point of using the watch for this? Messages are nice to just look at your wrist but I don't want everyone around me to hear what Im texting someone as I talk into my watch. Not to mention the text is small and making it larger has you scrolling with the crown continually. Calls, no thanks. I don't need everyone within earshot hearing my conversations. Im never going to look at my photos on a tiny display. In the end, I can't think of anything Im really going to use this for at all. I think its mostly a fashion statement and a niche product for those who like to show off new tech. I own an iMac, iPad Air 2, MacBook, iPhone 6 plus, iPod Touch and an Apple TV. So this will be the only major Apple product I don't own. Hope everyone else enjoys theirs though!

2. Leeabe macrumors member

What are you doing where you stare at it for 5 minutes?

3. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using it? lol

4. AS90 macrumors regular

AS90

First up, get the 42mm version! Then give it a few more days and then see how you feel. I would be lost without my pebble now.

5. gerball macrumors newbie

Think I'll be returning mine. It doesn't seem to do any one thing particularly well - least of all show the time - unusual for an Apple product. For me, the watch needed another 2 years in the R&D lab.

6. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thought about it but all the issues I have with it won't go away with a slightly larger display except maybe not as much scrolling thru texts.

7. Leeabe macrumors member

You might be missing the point of it then.

8. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whats the point then? I read and replied to a few texts, looked thru some emails (which was pointless) looked at scores on the ESPN app, that was easily 5 minutes use. I would hope no one is spending $349-$17k on a device you glance at for a minute and then pull out your phone to do the work on.

9. CChrisG macrumors member

CChrisG

10. anez macrumors 6502

anez

For me, it's knowing who a mail is from without taking out your phone.

50% of the emails I get don't require an immediate response (or in many cases, any response). Having the Watch means I don't have to bother getting out my phone to check if this is one I need to stop and deal with or if it's something I could have ignored.

It's also nice to be able to check and filter texts on the same basis.

Mostly, though, it's not having to carry my phone around with me at all times. I can leave it down and wander around the area of my wifi network, but still get notifications. Considering I have a 6+ and most of my indoor clothes don't have pockets large enough to comfortably contain it, this is a big bonus for me.

There are a few things about the Watch that aren't perfect, but I am definitely keeping mine.

11. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Just a hunch, but you won't be the only one complaining about this issue in the coming weeks. Apple hasn't really included any killer features in this device. If they made it capable of operating meaningfully without an iPhone, that might be a different story. But as it is in its current form, many people won't really see the point of it.

12. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Keeping mine.

Upgraded, so to speak, from a Pebble Steel. Apple Watch feels lighter, and I got the 42 SS w ML.

I am sure software updates will fix many of the concerns people have. It is not meant to be an iPhone on your wrist, after all.

I was used to looking at my wrist whenever I got a notification, so this is similar.

13. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

It's a WATCH. It is NOT an iphone on your wrist. If you haven't worn a watch in years, and don't like wearing them, then yes, the Apple watch probably isn't a game changer for you. Some folks just don't like watches. Fair enough.

I think its pretty simple. The following questions self-select:

1) do you already wear a watch?

2) do you own an iphone?

3) Would you like to reduce your interaction with the iphone for many tasks?

If you answered YES to all 3, then the watch is going to be useful. If you answered no to any of them, it's much less likely you'll be happy with the watch.

See, simple.

Bonus: you get fitness functions and health tracking. That may or may not matter to you.

14. Leeabe macrumors member

To get quick information and to track fitness. Did you buy it thinking it was good for reading long emails and replying? The impression I got from ads and reviews is that if you need to read long emails or more than simple texts, you are better off pulling your phone out.

15. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I think you may be missing the point of this product. It's really not meant to be used for more than 30 seconds at a time (developers are actually aiming more in the neighborhood of 6-10 second interactions). It's mainly to alert you to incoming notifications, allow you to quickly act on those notifications without always pulling out your phone, as well as provide features like fitness tracking, quick access to Siri, etc.

It is not a miniature phone/iPad/iPod. If you try to use it that way, you will quickly get frustrated, your arm will get tired, and you will run down the battery. Of course the tendency when getting a new gadget is to play with it as much as possible, and I too am guilty of overusing my Watch the past couple of days. It's to be expected. Just try to think about what the device was intended for and whether you can be satisfied using it that way.

16. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I call pure BS. No way that guy paid craigslist prices for something he seemed to plan to not like. At least he can put it right back on craigslist (if he even bought one in the first place).

17. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

The point is this. We (wife and I) wear a watch everyday. The Apple watch adds a ton of info at a glance of my wrist that I don't otherwise get. It lets me leave my phone in my pocket. Better yet - while at home - we can leave our phone with my keys, and still get messages, phone calls, and alerts.

The is huge huge huge for my wife. She doesn't carry her phone with her, she's always working in the garden and house. About 2/3 of the time when I call or text her, she doesn't have her phone with her. She LOVES the Apple watch. Been using it 2 days now, taking many calls and texts. Game changing application for her (and me). I've been teasing her for months that when she misses my calls that I can't wait for her to get an Apple Watch so that doesn't happen again. And it hasn't! Fabulous use-case, here.

Fitness tracking and health apps are just a bonus.

18. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

I always have my phone out. If Im sitting down at a restaurant or pretty much anywhere, its on the table or somewhere I can always glance at it when something comes in. I was hoping the watch would replace the need to pick up my phone and text back or email someone but it appears not. Seems more like an extra step to look at the watch and then go to the phone. Yea, seems like its not for me but testing it for a day was the only way to really know.

----------

Was only $500, will be easy to get that back reselling it.

19. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Similar thoughts here so far. It's like a slow, gimped iPhone after 1 day of use. Maybe I'll adjust but it seems to be a $700 accessory that allows for some notifications (when they work). Hard to justify the expense even when money isn't the object. Just feels like one more step instead of simplifying things.

Again the watch seems to be a solution in search of a problem that does not exist. For most people I think they just need to better manage their phone usage. The watch won't do that for these types of people.

20. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Yeah, your not supposed to use it OP. :D

21. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly. I mean, my $199 iPod touch is more useful for replying to a text or email while I'm using that around the house on wifi than the watch is. It feels exactly like a slow, gimped iPhone, and a much smaller one.

22. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

I've yet to get mine.

But this forum now worries me. Not a single "I love this" thread. Usually it's all heart throbs during the honeymoon.

This thing looks doomed out of the gate :D

It's just so costly, and rough around the edges, from what I can tell.

I really hope it's a big hit. Really

Sorry

23. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I love this. And there are threads where people are saying how much they love it, so keep looking.

----------

Mine hasn't lagged or stuttered at all, so I would wonder whether there wasn't something wrong with the one you bought on Craigslist.

I love it, and I also love watches, and I really love the design of this one and how it feels on my wrist. I love the messages, being able to see what they are so I know whether I want to respond to them or not. If I'm with other people, I don't want to be rude and take my phone out all the time, so this lets me see if a message is important or just see what someone's saying without having to respond unless I need/want to. And I love the activity, the prompts to get up and move, and my desire to fill those rings! I have kept it on silent so far since getting it yesterday morning, and prefer the taptic taps to sounds. And I don't use it at all for mail. I only want to see my mail when I want to see it (if someone wants me right away, they need to call or text), and so I have no plans to use the watch for mail.

All in all, I love it. I'm happy with my purchase and can see myself enjoying it for a long time.

24. simsdaniel macrumors regular

I love my  Watch!

• Extremely comfortable
    • Easy to use
    • Looks and is VERY high quality [Stainless Steel]
    • Customizable using different bands to match the occasion
    • Reply to texts within seconds without pulling out your phone
    • Apps are a bit slow but very useful. Today I requested a Uber in about 15 seconds and tracked my driver from my Watch seeing him pull up to where I was right from my Watch without having to pull my phone out.
    • Checking the weather right on my watch face and seeing a detailed view of the day/weeks weather in a simple tap from my Watch Face.
    • Definitely one of the best fitness trackers.

I could keep going with features that I have been using and loving with my  Watch.

25. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

That sounds like fanboy garbage, but it's kinda true. If you're the kind of person who loves playing with your new gadgets this isn't for you. It works best when you only use it in short burst to reply to stuff.

Checking emails, looking at pictures, all stuff that's best saved for the iPhone.