Anyone else running around with the stock plastic wrap?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spinedoc77, Apr 1, 2011.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I have mine with a black leather smartcover, but I'm paranoid about the back so I initially left the plastic wrap from the factory on it. I ordered two cases from Marware and they are both preorders, and I ordered one of those TPU cases off of Amazon that I'm still waiting for. So even though I have cases coming, I'm still using the plastic wrap as protection, it's really not that bad at all, but I can't wait to stop using it.

Just wanted to see if anyone else was as "ghetto" as I feel with this plastic on.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

OMG! Dude, you need to take it off! While that is "Ghetto-fabulous" you really should enjoy the product and not worry so much about getting finger prints on it. You do know that dropping it with that thin piece of plastic will not save it from scratches and such, right? As a matter of fact, i'd say the plastic is more prone to scratching it than your finger tips.

3. srobert, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

My grandmother used to cover all the couches with plastic so the fabric wouldn't get worn or dirty. It worked but… it was very uncomfortable and unsightly. Defeating the purpose? ;)

I personally use my iPad "buttnakid". I personally think that a scratched iPad looks better than iPad in a protective case. (No scratches on mine yet though, had the iPad 1 since launch)

That being said. Whatever works for you! Don't let the man tell you what you can and can't do with your gear. :p

4. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Agreed unless you have sand paper for fingers take the plastic off and enjoy it.

5. PBz macrumors 6502a

PBz

I am pretty damn OCD but you got me on that one. I once had a co-worker that kept those little films on his PDAs forEVER. I think dude eventually required medication. Save yourself now.. peel that badboy.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Yea thats pretty bad. LOL. So far, it looks as if u are alone in this category.

7. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Pervert. :D

8. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

Hahaha,

I'm guilty. I still have the plastic on mine, I bought it a week ago today. I'm just keeping it pristine as possible until I can get a Zagg or something similar on the back. Not that big of a deal really, I hardly notice it. I cut the tab off near the dock connector so it just feels like it's wrapped in a protective cover.

9. srobert, Apr 1, 2011

srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Oops. I see what you did there. :eek: I guess it can be interpreted that way too.

Edit: Heck! I read my post again and it's pretty much how most people will interpret it. Well, live and learn. :)

10. luckysob macrumors regular

Still have the plastic wrap on it, until I get the Power Support film in hand. Just don't need a 2.5 year old placing his dirty fingers all over it, yet.

11. rspec7 macrumors member

I thought I'd keep the plastic on until my case order came in. But I ended up ripping off the plastic because dust started getting in between the plastic and screen and I couldn't get it out. Plus the plastic was starting to bug me like crazy!

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I've had such bad luck with iPhones getting banged up, I plan on basically wrapping my iPad in a condom. It has not arrived yet, but when it does, I will be putting a screen protector, a rear protector, and a case on it. When I'm transporting on the train or to and from the train station, it will also be in another case (a zip up style case, kind of like the old CD storage cases) just to keep it from getting wet and to protect it from drops.

Question though--for those of you who have left the stock rear plastic on the back of your iPad--how thin is it? If it's really thin and I can get my rubberized case on it, I may just do the same thing.

13. BergerFan, Apr 1, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

With the naked iPhone 4, I'm wary of what surfaces I place it down on, because of the glass, but with the aluminium iOS devices(iPhone '2G' and both iPads), I don't give the back a second thought. I find the aluminium to be robust.
    A Smart Cover will suffice, this time.

14. bmat macrumors 6502

I only need it to last 11.5 more months until the iPad3, so the plastic came off right away.

15. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I have it on mine but that's only because I may take it back within the 14 days so I want to avoid scratches as much as possible. Just a precautionary.

16. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I mean I am all for taking care of equipment, but keeping the plastic on it? :eek:

17. ben12 macrumors newbie

I've kept mine on since getting it last night, but I think I've been shamed into taking it off. :(

18. FutureStan macrumors member

I'm planning on using the Smart Cover + Zagg for the back. But I'm still hesitant about it as I'm not sure how will the Zagg feel for the back, I'd hate to put it on and then take it off the next day, anybody tried this Zagg? :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm definitely not going to keep it the plastic, that would drive me nuts lol.

19. klover macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't keep it on past your return period. The plastic has a slight graininess that will make it hard to spot dead pixels until you remove it.

20. nomik2 macrumors regular

21. spinstorm macrumors 65816

If you can get a version 1 invisible shield you can cut it up to protect the back.

Alternatively wrapsol do next day US delivery and 2 day international delivery with fed ex. Order one of those. They are in stock.

22. jcbauerca macrumors member

jcbauerca

If you think that's bad, my buddy, the CFO of a large insurance company, wraps saran wrap around his TV remotes so they don't get dirty.

23. apd8 macrumors member

Well well, I do, but only for now since I just got my iPad yesterday and I'm waiting for iPad cases that I ordered. Once the cases arrive, then the plastic will be off.
    :p

24. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

lol.. My folks did the same thing. Sit down and the couch would make all this noise and if you dozed off, it would be really cold!

25. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

ewwww. I've only seen that in movie, and shows like "hoarders".