Anyone else still happy with my their 5/5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IamSupermannMan, Dec 24, 2014.

1. IamSupermannMan macrumors newbie

I was just wondering who else is still happy with their 5 or 5s? I am still using my 32gb space gray 5s, and feel no need to upgrade. My reasons are: the size, the form and the quality. To me the 4 inch screen is perfect, I love being able to use the phone one handed. I love that it doesn't take up a lot of room in my pocket. The form, to me it simply looks better than the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. I love the metal and glass combo. It looks like a million bucks imho. I don't like the fat antenna bands on the 6 and 6 plus, but I could overlook that. The real killer is the protruding camera lens. I think the whole phone looks cheaper than the 5 and 5s. What is everyone else's view who is still using the last gen iPhone?

----------

Also, what are your reasons for not upgrading?

2. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

I would of been fine with my iPhone 5. The only reason I upgraded to the 6 is because it had band 41 for sprint.

3. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

You shouldn't need to be convinced by yourself, or anyone else, that you are using the right phone for you. If it feels right then just use it.

I think the 6s is the best sized phone ever, but I am using a 5c that works perfectly well and I don't see getting rid of a perfectly working phone for another. I used my last phone until the usb port stopped working (years) and the laptop I just retired, gave to the daughter for web surfing, is soon 6 years old.

I think people read the forums too much and become insecure over not having the latest. Not singling you out, just making the point.

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

Cool story bro. Nothing more original than yet another thread putting down the phone you don't have to justify the phone you do have.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

iPhone 5, Black/Slate 64GB.

Reasons for not upgrading to the 5S: No Black. Closest is Space Gray. The upgrades might have been compelling had the option for black been there.

Reason for not upgrading to the 6/6+: No Black. Closest is Space Gray. Fugly. Fugly bands. Fugly, protruding camera.

7. predation macrumors 6502

8. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I'm using the same phone as you. Tried the 6 for a few weeks and just couldn't get used to it. I put up with it for a lot longer than I should have thinking it would grow on me but all that happened was me losing the option to return and reverse my new contract.

The 5s honestly felt a little small when I was finally able to get rid of the 6 and find one for a reasonable price. Lost out on 32GB (64s are DAMN hard to find) but I'm so much more comfortable with this phone after readjusting.

I started using it without a case and have caught myself admiring the form factor on several occasions which never happened with my 6 even though it was new to me.

I'm definitely in the camp hoping for a 4" iPhone next year. If we don't see it this will be the first smartphone I've ever used longer than two years.

9. IamSupermannMan thread starter macrumors newbie

I too have recently taken off my case on the 5s, after installing my tempered glass screen protector. Feels completely different than it did in the case!

----------

I wish that the 5s would have come in the slate color of the 5!

----------

Simply Expressing my opinion. Not trying to put the phone down. Nothing more original than a jackass commenting on a thread that doesn't concern him. You sir, are a true gentleman.

----------

Understandable. I wouldn't mind having sprint, if only they had service in my area. The only provider that gets signal at my house is Verizon. And it's LTE signal so I'm very happy with that.

10. puma1552 macrumors 601

You must not read these forums much, because there are a million threads just like this and people who are regulars get tired of sifting through people's justifications.

And it's against forum rules to call me a jackass, FYI.

11. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

My iPhone 5 is 19 months old and still going strong. iOS 8 works flawlessly, and battery capacity is around 90% of new.

I like the displays on the 6/6+, but overall still prefer the 5/5S form factor.

12. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

You could always file down the camera lens.

It is okay that you are okay with the 5/5s. Not everyone is deserving of a 6/6+ and that is totally okay.

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I like my 5 alright, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth at 23 months old. Unfortunately I've been in a contract and don't have money or account access to pay the ETF and upgrade.

I also wasn't keen on the increase in size. The 5 is just barely pocketable as it is. I don't mind the look of the 6 though. I would put it in a case and cover the antenna bands.

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have a 6+ and my 5S seems old, however I do swap sims and use the 5S when I go to the gym.

15. coleblk, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

coleblk macrumors regular

Still rocking my iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray. Didn't upgrade to the 6+ like I originally planned because of the very limited availability and overall failure of the pre-order system for me. I got very frustrated and combined with the lack of a ram improvement has me waiting for the 6s+. I'm sure my tech palate will be satisfied by a couple of Android devices until then.

The 5s is still a wonderfully fast performer with a lovely screen and unbelievably good camera. This model is pretty future proof and something tells me it'll be supported for a long time.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Well, my story is that I signed a new contract in 2012 for a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. The camera lens got busted six months in, and it was simply useless for me for that reason. And it was unfixable because the screws inside it were stripped.

My next phone was a Huawei GoPhone, which was doing me good until Google pushed out a Play update that was buggy for a lot of people. On my phone, it prevented me from even unlocking the thing to make a simple phone call.

So I then went with a Lumia 520. A nice phone which I liked, but after my contract finally ended this spring, I just really wanted another iPhone and I couldn't wait until October for it.

So I got the iPhone 5S, and at that point you could buy the 64GB for only $70 with AT&T Next.

I'm definitely happy with my 5S after having to deal with switching out phones for the last two years. I wouldn't mind the new hardware, but I would get the same experience as I'm getting now except for the bigger screens. The manual camera controls work very well too.

17. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I move from a 4S that got its battery life decimated by the ios7 "upgrade". I wasn't thrilled with the new jumbo form factor of the 6s, so I went with the 5S. It's at the max size for my liking. And with iOS 7.1.2, I get INSANE battery life, especially compared to the 4s.

I'm sticking with 7.1.2 as long as possible because of the battery life. The A7 will likely last as long as the 1Gig A8 setup in the 6s. So this thing should last a long time. I can life without, as I like to keep my older macs for a while with periodic updates.

Not moving on for a LONG time.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Everytime I hold the 5/5s I miss the way it feels in hand. If you want the latest and greatest you are out of luck though. I have got so use to apple pay in apps that I cannot go back now!

19. TWD98j macrumors regular

Still rocking my 64GB 5S that I upgraded to on launch day in Sept 2013.

Yeah, while the 6-series phones are amazing, I am still under contract until Sept 2015. I thought about trading my 5S in toward a 6+, but in all honesty, I've been on the "S" cycle since the 3GS in 2009 and I actually prefer that cycle.

So, I'm going to wait until Sept when my contract is up and the 6S/6S+ come out, and THEN I'll upgrade.

That said, performance wise, the 5S still hangs with the 6-series phones quite well. Aside from Apple Pay, VoLTE, and the bigger screens of course, I'm not sure there's much difference between the two in terms of performance.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can go back to it when the Apple Watch debuts, as you'll be able to use Apple Pay with the 5/5s/5c via the Watch.

Oh, OP, did we need yet another thread with unnecessary rationalizing from members insecure about their 5/5s?

21. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Actually a little known benefit of still having a previous generation phone. Less likely to get stolen. I had the 4S for 3 years, after the 5 came out, I just left that thing out as if I was begging to get it stolen.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Leaving an iPhone out unattended is not a benefit but carelessness.

23. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502

Ledsteplin

I still use and like my iP 5. The battery is waning, but still works great. It was one of the last produced. I will be upgrading next month to either the 6 or 6+. No, after all the reviews and posts here and on other forums about these phones, I still can't decide. I have held both in my hands. I want the Plus. But pocketability or how I carry it with me is the issue. I don't have any Cargo pants. But my 5 is still going strong!

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've got a 5 that I'm out of contract on that still works great and is in mint condition. Although I'm tempted by the 6, I'm gonna try to hold out until at least the 6s. The RAM really should have been upgraded on the 6 series but wasn't. They might work fine now but will have a shorter useful life in the long term.

25. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a