Anyone else tempted to eBay their iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zcott, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Zcott macrumors 68020

I reserved mine for store pickup on pre-order day for £499, and now I'm seeing them go in eBay foe £800! Anyone tempted to flog theirs and make a tasty and quick profit?

2. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

I would be, but then I think of all the people that want one and will miss out and if I don't really want one I'd rather another big Apple fan like myself got one on day 1 for the right price.

I really want one on day one, so there's no chance I'd consider selling. Once you have that nice box in your hand, it'll be difficult to let it go!

eBaying in demand stuff to make a profit annoys me in a way. I think of all those people that wanted Xbox 360's and Wii's but struggled to get one because someone bought 20 to make a profit on eBay.

3. nednarm macrumors 6502

I'm tempted, it would be an easy £200+ but then I'd have to wait about a month to get one for myself. If I was in desperate need of the money I'd sell it on :D

4. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

Do you see auctions being completed for those prices, and most importantly, the sellers reporting they have actually collected those enormous funds from the buyers.... or do you see hyper-inflated bids designed to gain the attraction of the news media? You DO know that goes on frequently on eBay, right? People use fake accounts and get their friends to bid on thousands of items to do this. Do you know how many people bid on things with absolutely no intention of ever paying for them? You might be surprised. The amount of fraud on eBay is incredible...

5. twelve56 macrumors member

I brought a 16gig yesterday for £600 cash on collection. So i ended up paying the extra £100 for someone else to reserve it and collect it from the store, so i dont have to mess about waiting in line. But sadly i wont be picking it up until friday.

The going rate for a 16gig is around £650-£680, but i can see that rising higher as the days get nearer to launch day!

6. Aaron J macrumors newbie

I remember when I stood in line for the first gen iPhone will all intent to sell on eBay. While in line (this was in San Diego) we were already hearing about folks on east coast that were closing eBay bids for around a grand! I was ecstatic. I got home with that little box in my hand, started reading forums and how cool it was..yeah, I lasted about 5 hours before I tore it open and activated for myself. Being using iPhone ever since. If I was able to get more than one, yes I would try eBay, but since I am holding out for a White, and can only get one. It will be mine.

7. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yep I have seen complete auctions for those prices.... and have collected said moneys. There is a lot of fraud on e-bay, that's why it helps to not be a moron.... it it sounds to good to be true guess what, it is.

I sold one of my pre-orders before pre-orders even started for $905 with shipping. Sold a second one for $900 with shipping. (yes money has been collected and secured) After paying fee's and shipping I am walking away with a free 32g iPhone 4 AND $640 or so in my pocket. I am giving my 3gs to my brother (after exchanging it on Tuesday for a "brand new" refurb for dust under the glass and cracks. We still have my wifes 3gs which we will probable keep.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120583892172&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120583870961&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT
    [​IMG]

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Maybe tempted to sell locally for cash, but not eBay.

Other then misc things I want to get rid of that have little value, I don't really mess with eBay anymore.

That said, I may be tempted but my iPhone 4 is not going anywhere.

9. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

10. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

When you consider that the iPhones being sold on eBay are essentially unsubsidized there not really that much higher than retail price.

11. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yep but it's guaranteed and no waiting in line. My buyers (one not in Guam any way) will get his the day after they are released (if it shows up in time to ship it back out). For a few bucks more it's worth it to some to avoid lines.

12. Icculus macrumors 6502

Personally for me, this is the iPhone I have been wanting since the original. There is no way I will be selling this...but that is just me. To each their own.

13. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Selling a brand new iPhone for profit on eBay creates an unintended consequence. Because this has been an ongoing problem from Apples perspective, it's the reason we are limited to only one per customer under a well defined criterion.

14. army91c macrumors 6502a

But it's not "oner per customer". It's "one per eligible line".

15. JuiceZ macrumors newbie

Same here!

16. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

Definitely not selling mine, although I will think about selling my 2G and 3G if I can't find someone I know to bequeath them to.

- Steve

17. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Thats exactly how I feel.

18. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

From some of the posts I've been reading, it's been thought some of the recent cancellations may have come from folks trying to pre-order more than one. Don't know if that's true, just putting it out there.

19. Illusion86 macrumors regular

Illusion86

I couldn't possibly love a human baby more than im going to love this phone! No way i could sell it :)

20. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I am upgrading the line I use my 3GS on to get my I4..

I still have 1 available line under my family plan. I don't like the idea of buying 1 on launch just to sell. I was a selfish person for a long time until recently and the idea of taking from the guy behind me, just to profit to a bidder doesn't sit well with me. (i have no beefs with those who are. to each their own)

Now once the first month of hype is over, for another $10 per month I can buy another iPhone 4 with that line at full subsidization. Who knows. All I know is that I am grateful to AT&T for the early upgrade date, providing me options concerning my 3rd available line.

Blonde Buddhist

21. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

No. It was a gift, and I'm really looking forward to using it and playing with it.

22. Sinfire macrumors regular

What Apple should do is release the phone on the 25th as scheduled but charge $2000 a phone, and then drop the prices every couple of days until it reaches the intended selling price. This way, the people that are foolish enough to overpay for a cell phone will get their wish.

23. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I thought when you ordered an upgraded iphone that in order to activate the new phone you had to enter the same phone number as the phone number you used to order it. Though I am not sure because I have always had my iphone activated in store.

24. electronicmale macrumors newbie

heck yes

i made quick money on the 3GS launch, and i'll do the same for iPhone 4. ordered my phone through AT&T, and have one reserved at the Apple Store for Thursday morning. keep one, sell one, and hopefully pay for the one I keep with my profits!

did the same thing with the iPad...