Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
My answer is based on similar length of experience, although I apparently pay more attention than you to spot pricing of memory modules. Based on variables in supply and demand, several times in the past decade memory prices have increased. (one would think that if you truly worked on computers for the last 15 years as you say that you would have noticed the occasional price increase)

Oh, and I pay attention to the storage available on iPhone models.

iPhone ≠ more storage every year. There was no storage increase from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4.

Geckotek, do you think the next iPhone will have a 64 GB model?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Geckotek, do you think the next iPhone will have a 64 GB model?

To be honest, I haven't researched the current spot pricing of NAND chips compared to the price @ launch of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3Gs so I an not going to claim to be able to give an educated guess.

And I'm too busy w/ work to take the time right now. Perhaps someone else has the time and desire to do so?

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
you're right, the very last iphone update did not increase storage. I feel like this is more because of the size of the phone vs. internal space. Almost every other refresh of every other ipod/iphone has doubled storage and kept the price inline with the last one. RAM/HD is constantly dropping in cost, and while NAND is different, tech almost always goes down in price over time. Maybe just not quite as fast as usual lately with the advent of new SSD tech.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
The iPhone has always used a single NAND chip. Space was not an issue from the 3Gs from the 4 because that did not change. 64 GB NAND chips were available. However, they were not the same price as 32 GB NAND chips were at the launch of the 3Gs, therefore Apple could not include them unless they wanted to raise the price of the top storage model. And since we agree the top storage model is always the same price.....we end up w/ 32 GB.

You still seem to be ignoring the fact that many times over the years memory prices actually went up due to certain market factors. The biggest one that comes to mind was the burning down of one of the largest manufacturing facilities. Another was when Samsung got busted for price fixing.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
I don't see them discontinuing the iPod touch. It was originally made for those who want that iPhone like device but can't have it for some reason. Saw someone mention this earlier.

^^^ +1

I am personally hoping for 64 GB iPhone and do not think it will be impossible for the high-end 5 one.

twitt3r

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2009
And I'm too busy w/ work to take the time right now. Perhaps someone else has the time and desire to do so?
You have the audacity to say that on a forum? If you are so busy, what are you doing on here in the first place?

TechZoomOrg

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
I wasn't too sure about seeing the inclusion of 64GB in the iPhone 5 before, but now I'm thinking it's likely we'll see. It just makes sense. What does everyone else think?

Apple likes to stay ahead of the game, and releasing another 32GB model a year and a half later could be seen as a disappointment. Memory prices have dropped, we know they have tested 64GB iPhones before, etc.

iCloud is nice, but still it would be nice to have 64GB.

I will +1 that and would love to see that happening. :)

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Well... this and this suggest that there'll only be 16 and 32gb flavours. Still hoping it's just placeholders and they aren't fact :p.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Vodafone disagrees, just posted this:

See the Apple devices.

Screen%20Shot%202011-09-11%20at%2004.38.14.png

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I don't think the Vodaphone proof is anything to hang your hat on. I think their web posting is simply a guess at this point.

I still say we will get a 64 GB model this fall. If we don't, get ready for countless MR members (including myself) bitching about it.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
according to the rumors .. only 16gb and 32gb

And what rumors are those? None of them are talking about how much storage.

I hardly think the Vodafone posting is something to go by. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I've already posted, but none one commented on it, in this very thread, that it's not likely ,given that there is no further space to put another chip. The next would eradication 16GB, by having two 32GB chips, with the price increasing further.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I've already posted, but none one commented on it, in this very thread, that it's not likely ,given that there is no further space to put another chip. The next would eradication 16GB, by having two 32GB chips, with the price increasing further.

64 GB chips have existed for a while. The question is if they are cheap enough yet. I don't think Apple would introduce a third $399 64GB model. They like small, simple product lines.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
64 GB is only possible if flash manufacturers can create 64 GB flash chips. The iPhone can only hold one flash chip, while the iPod Touch can have two, which is why they have a 64 GB GB iPod Touch already.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
64gb flash chips have been around for a while now. Shortly before the launch of the iPhone 4. The question is, what is the current cost?

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
I really hope they come out with a 64GB version, 32 just seems extremely small.

A 160GB option would be amazing. :)

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I don't put much stock in that. I don't think there will be a 64 GB version (though I hope I'm wrong). At this point I think it's either speculation on their part and/or a placeholder.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
64 GB chips have existed for a while. The question is if they are cheap enough yet. I don't think Apple would introduce a third $399 64GB model. They like small, simple product lines.

And yet, there are 3 iTouch models and one of them is, you guessed it, $399 and 64 GB.

Plus throw in the fact that we are likely getting a 4S model.

I think 3 iPhone 5 models makes perfect sense.

$199 iPhone 5 16 GB
$299 iPhone 5 32 GB
$399 iPhone 5 64 GB

Also.....

This prototype iPhone from earlier this year (if you believe it to be real, and I do) was sporting 64 GB. Doesn't mean we will get that in a few weeks, but I'm still thinking we will. God knows there is a STRONG market for a 64 GB iPhone.

Last edited:

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I would be excited to see the iPhone 5 in 32/64 flavours, not because I need a 32GB iPhone, but because it would mean the iPad 3 would come in 32/64/128. Then I could go back to the lowest priced iPad.

However, I doubt this will happen. I think 16GB is more than enough for most people and if Apple had 32GB for the base memory of both the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 then they would lose a lot of money from people who otherwise would have paid $100 because 16GB isn't enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.