Anyone else think they might regret buying the 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Now that the Galaxy Nexus and ICS has been announced... Who here thinks they might regret buying the 4S?

We all have the option to return our phones... That's what makes the choice tough.

I've had bad experiences with 4 Android phones in the past, but this might fix most things.

-hardware acceleration (?)
    -enough storage
    -improved stock launcher
    -browser bookmarks are synced
    -big screen WITH high resolution
    -background processes are more easily managed

Those are things that were fixed. Then there's all the things that I'd benefit from that Android already had:

-Flash
    -better multitasking
    -widgets
    -faster (you can turn off animations)

Those are MY reasons. And I realize I'd be making trade offs as well... It's tough. Anyways, what about you guys? Regret, or no regret?

2. z3r0inc macrumors regular

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Nope. Not interested in futzing around with my smartphone all the time -- I've got better things to do.

iPhones just work.

4. pirarre macrumors 6502

5. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

That's something I'm worried about... My days of custom ROMs are over. If I switched to an Android phone, it'd need to have what I need from the start, and no crazy issues

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I am not impressed with those huge screen phones. If I want a huge screen, I'll carry my iPad. The iPhone screen size is perfect. No regrets with the 4S purchase.

7. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

Not even for a second. I love the hell out of this phone.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If you bear with the rest of the users who, like you, desire more than just stock iOS, Dev Team is working on an untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5 and the 4S. It might take longer to Jailbreak the 4S, but the iOS 5 Jailbreak for the 4 should come pretty soon.

With Jailbreaking, you can achieve most of what you desire. Even more Widgets. Non-interactive Widgets, but Widgets all the same.

9. cfairbank macrumors 6502

In the AT&T store as I type reactivating my old 4. Don't get me wrong, Siri is awesome and the camera and speed are sweet but the battery is killing me. I know an update will probably come out soon but who knows. The 4 is a great phone and think I may be more happy if I hold out for the 5. Worst case I pick up a 4s again if things get worked out.

10. micvachon macrumors newbie

I'm about to get the 4S. I have an Android right now (HTC Thunderbolt) and am just sick of everything that goes wrong with Androids. No matter what they do to the hardware and software it will still suffer from fragmentation issues. SO MANY different phones using different versions of Android at different levels... it's ridiculous. It will always be glitchy and unstable because there's no one dependable software for one dependable hardware. That's why I have concluded that although iPhone doesn't do EVERYTHING Android does, it does amazing things still and it JUST WORKS. With Android, half the stuff they advertise as being something that they beat Apple on, doesn't even work right because of all of their issues. I can't wait to switch to iPhone and know my phone will just work.

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Theres only one way to find out. Buy one and see if you like it, if not, return and buy the other one.

Simples.

12. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Trust me, I've been in your situation. That's why having a Nexus phone is nice, it helps with compatibility. And of course, updates. NEVER trust a non-Nexus phone to get updated or cared for

13. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

If you want a Nexus phone, turn in your 4s and get it. You don't need our approval.

14. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

No regrets for me, but then I'm not interested in the techno-babble associated with specifications, just in what the device can do for me. Knowing that new Android devices plop out of the sky like raindrops, and having played with a few, I bought an iPhone because that was the device that was closets to meeting my needs. The direction Android is going with larger screens and greater complexity is simply not suited to me. The iPhone 4S is.

15. gsears3 macrumors newbie

3gs upgrade

'Nuff said. I have absolutely NO complaints!

16. OSMac macrumors 65816

4S is a great device, only disappointment is the small screen and lack of text reflow.

17. zman98 macrumors member

Personally don't like the larger screen of the Nexus. Go for it if you like it.

18. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Since owning the first iPhone, there has been no other phone that has really even piqued my interest. The iPhone just works for me.

19. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Love my 4S. Performs just as well, if not better, than most, if not all, other Android phones. I really do wish it had a bigger screen though (not a deal breaker at all though). Battery life also seems like a step down from the iPhone 4 though. But I still make it through the day and charge it nightly (as I did with my 4), so no big deal.

20. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

regrets?

NOT

A

SINGLE

ONE.

i love my iphone 4s!

21. jade macrumors 6502

22. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I've had Blackberry, WebOS, Android, and of course IOS. Before IOS, I found the platforms to all have their pros and cons, but they were all lacking in some way.

Blackberry had great battery life, and it was fairly stable, but it was getting old, outdated, and lacked personal function, primarily apps.

WebOS offered incredible multi-tasking, but the hardware was severely lacking, and now it just....um....lacks

Android was great. I enjoyed the customization ability, great choices in device forms and functions, but the battery life was dreadful if you used it a lot, it was fairly unstable, and like the PC market, it seemed that if you bought something today, it would be outdated too soon with a release tomorrow.

These all worked as perfect stopgaps for me until I got what I REALLY wanted. A Verizon iPhone. I have not found myself looking back. Excellent form factor, smooth zippy interface, battery that will last the entire day, with the new 4S I got the perfect capacity that I have been seeking forever with 64GB.

Nope, no regrets. :D

23. Fusion79, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Not at all.

I got antsy waiting for the new iPhone and decided to give android a try. I bought a Bionic. Keep in mind just one month ago this was the best android phone you could buy on Verizon.

LTE was awsome, overall the phone was fast but there was still lag. The battery life was awful. My 4S easily gets through the entire day with battery to spare. My Bionic was often down to 20% by 5PM daily. Having to remember to turn things on and off like Wi-Fi and 4G to try and save juice got old. I also would have random reboots often. Once while I was using the navigation to find a house the phone decided to reboot (not the best timing) and thus I missed a turn that was coming up.

The last straw for me was a couple weeks ago. I was at the Nebraska v Ohio St. game. Cell reception is always spotty at the stadium due to the crowd, but this was rediculous. When the game started, I was at about 80% battery left. 4G and Wi-Fi were off. I barely used the phone during the game, and by halftime, it was down to 20%. Since I was going to meet people after the game, this was a huge issue. Between the reboots and this, I could not trust this phone at all.

I returned it and I got a 4S. I have never had an iPhone reboot on me and overall it just feels more stable. The nexus may be a great phone, and android does have features I wish iOS had, but overall my experience with iOS and iPhones has been very satisfying and I have no regrets at all.

24. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

No way. The phone is one of the ugliest I have seen yet and ICS still still loos like someone rummaged through puke. ;)

25. Ronnoco, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Concur...I don't like the big screens either...I am very happy with my iPhone 4S but I am admittedly not an OS tweeker so I don't jones for Andriod...