Anyone else trade in iPhone 6 Plus because of bezels

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markusbeutel, Oct 9, 2014.

1. markusbeutel macrumors regular

Anyone else feel this way?

Background info - initially was on board with Apple, had the very first model and the 3g, and then moved to Android's Note series for the bigger screen.

Note 3 term expired last month, and needed a new phone - loved the screen of the 6+ and purchased it on the day of release. 3 days later I returned it - I just couldn't get around how much wasted space there was and kept imagining what the 6+ could have been if it had smaller bezels. (And I won't lie, bendgate had me worried as I work in trades and even in a case, my phones take some decent abuse).

My search for an optimal screen with not a lot of wasted space led me to the Blackberry Passport (I know, I'm crazy, but I liked the square display), and the Huawei Ascend Mate 7, which has an amazing screen and hardly any bezels. Went with the BB in the end.

The thinness on the 6+ is nice, but would anyone really object to a thicker phone, smaller bezels, and a bigger battery, or am I crazy for thinking this way?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Well, the bottom bezel isn't go anywhere due to the home button... and I would assume the top bezel will remain the same size as the bottom one for continuity. So just gotta:

[​IMG]

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Its hard to take anyone seriously that uses the word bendgate. Since you are not the designer of the phone it is not really up to you to decide what space is wasted.

This would have been better posted to your blog or Facebook page rather than here.

4. markusbeutel, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014

markusbeutel thread starter macrumors regular

There's ways around having that home button take up space though, like the Ascend Mate 7 I mentioned, it has a fingerprint reader on the back of the phone. I suppose on-screen buttons are an option, but I wouldn't be in favour of that either...

Hardly any phones have continuity between the bottom and top bezels though so I don't buy that - if the aesthetics of the phone were that restricting, we wouldn't have gotten the protruding camera.

5. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

There have been several hundred million of them since 2007.

Its kind of pointless to buy a product and then post on one of their competitors fan sites about why you didn't buy their product. With a join date of Sept 2014 its not hard to believe that you are a troll.

Like I said, your blog or Facebook page.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I wouldn't have picked the Passport over the iPhone 6+ I'm glad you are happy with your choice OP.

8. markusbeutel thread starter macrumors regular

So you didn't even read my cool story, bro? I clearly wrote that I DID buy the 6+, I mean, it's right there in the title of the post. Do you just zoom in with hate on every post that doesn't glorify Apple? C'mon.

Love the screen, annoyed by the bezels. That's it. Curious if anyone else felt that way. If someone makes a post after having recently purchased their 6/6+ where they talk about loving the their new phone, do you
    also automatically disregard it because of their join date?

Maybe if I take pictures of all my Apple gear you'll take me seriously? smh

----------

Cheers - still have a week left to return the PP - and the 6' is something I'm still debating over as the bezels for some reason don't bother me as much when the device is smaller, (the PP also has a top bezel that ain't the slimmest, so deciding if I can live with it :p)

9. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

It's certainly possible to reduce the size of the top and bottom bezels at least slightly in the future though, while maintaining horizontal symmetry.

Case in point, the fifth generation iPod Classic had the same footprint as the fourth generation, despite adding a significantly larger, higher resolution display. Why? Because they reduced the size of the click wheel ever so slightly.

I think Apple can shrink the home button a tiny bit in future iterations to allow for a larger display to device ratio, this is of course, if they don't do away with the home button entirely for a different layout (eg. onscreen home button, completely touch-sensitive home button, possibly of a different shape).

10. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

Really?? A Blackberry? I used Blackberries for 3 years and moved to Apple for the 4s as Blackberries were lacking so much. Enjoy your choice, as long as your happy. I love my 6+ and for me, of all the choices you had, Blackberries are like take a step back in time. The Passport look surprised me, it looks like one of the very first Blackberry designs they released. Glad you found what makes you happy.. Choice is a wonderful thing.

11. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Cool ERB as a screen name.

12. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I like the bezels. Perfect amount of width for my thumbs in landscape.

13. JobsGang macrumors regular

JobsGang

Lmao@ a blackberry passport. One of the ugliest phones ever created.

14. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Speak for yourself, the passport is an ****ing beautiful piece of tech IMO (and many others).

[​IMG]

People like yourself probably laughed at the Galaxy Note when it was first unveiled and called it a failure...

15. stasha macrumors 6502

I thought it was serious until i saw the word blackberry

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

So you're saying you walked over 4mm? hmm.

17. fabio.lordelo, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

fabio.lordelo macrumors member

Anyone else trade in iPhone 6+ because of bezels

Also felt this way when I got the 6 Plus, really thought they should've shrunken the bezels I order to reduce the phone's footprint. But after giving it some thought, I can really understand why they didn't go this way.

I used to have a Moto X (2013 model), whose bezel is really thin, and I remember having some problems with it, especially when using it one handed and trying to reach something at the other side of the screen. Part of my palm always touched the screen accidentally and activated something. That also happened with a Galaxy Note I had, but never with the 6 Plus. Guess the decision to go with bigger bezel was conscious.

18. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

If that happened to the iPhone, it would become #Edgegate. :mad:

19. stasha macrumors 6502

Do you know crackberry? Its where people like you talk about your phone

20. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

the passport is appealing to me only due to the 'prestige' that somehow still sticks with me about the blackberry brand and the industry that im in.
    alot of people in my industry still use blackberries.

given that, i love the iphone's platform and ecosystem and cant imagine trading down to BB's

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.;) Personally, I think it is ugly as sin.

22. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Very true, to each his own!

I know most people will be used to the rectangular shape with rounded corners and no physical keyboard, but there will be others (myself included) that really think the passport is a thing of beauty.

BRB gonna go have mental sexy time with the BB Passport...

23. cathyy macrumors 6502a

what is this I don't even.....

No seriously, I can't believe the blatant fanboyism of some Apple fans that they would come up with ridiculous statements just to defend the iPhone. I can't believe either how there are people calling the OP a troll when they are the ones giving troll-ish replies while the OP has explained clearly why he has this opinion.

The whole point people are willing to put up with the large size of a phablet is because they want a big screen, not to get huge bezels. Look at how the 6+ is so much taller than the Note 3 even though the Note 3 has a larger screen at 5.7".

[​IMG]

----------

Yeah, I can understand it totally. Initially when the plus was first announced, my opinion was highly swayed and I was considering getting that instead. However I decided that I would be going for the iPhone 6 instead the moment I realized that it's taller than the Note 3 while having a smaller screen.

Also the iPhone is ridiculously thin. If you could reduce the footprint by making it thicker then it's probably a good trade-off.

24. fabio.lordelo macrumors member

Using this picture as comparison, how can you say the 6 Plus is MUCH taller than the Note 3? Lol
    You've gotta be joking. Another thing there are some usability problems with a huge phone, like a phablet, with too much thin bezels. In fact, it doesn't need to be a phablet, I had problems handling the Moto X first gen, accidentally touching the screen with my palm when using it one handed.

25. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I don't disagree that the top and bottom bezels could be a bit slimmer on the new iPhones, but there's also a good reason to keep them from getting too slim. They make it significantly easier to hold the phone one-handed when it's in landscape mode (thumb on the bezel, other fingers on the back). I don't think the benefit you get is as large as with an actual iPad, but it definitely helps.