Anyone else with brand new defective MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KumoWarrior, Jun 5, 2011.

1. KumoWarrior, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

KumoWarrior macrumors newbie

My niece bought a brand new MBP 13" and so called apple genius insulted her resulting in a complaint filed against him... she had her defective MBP in the store at least twice and sent to apple and the story was the same, computer is fine it must be software... and still it freezes.. oh did i mention the only software on the unit was OSx? Additionally, we met an older couple who their new 13" was freezing... with theirs though it turned out to be a defective hard drive... their unit was four weeks old.

With Steve Jobs now not very active we are wondering if apple is going down the tubes again just like it did the last time....

One thing is for sure, the shine is definitely off the apple especially when it comes to so-called genius'.

Is anyone else having problems with brand new MBP 13"? Did apple finally honor its obligation to you?

=
    Should also mention that Apple Inc was unresponsive to our demand for a replacement or refund initially, so we had our attorney send a demand letter, and yesterday our niece got through to someone who said he will send a file to the engineers and only they can approve a replacement... meanwhile here sits a young college kid wanting the best computer to finish her educational experience and is working hard to MAKE PAYMENTS on a computer that does not work and my wife and i are eating crow because it was our recommendation to her that she could never go wrong with Apple even though it is more expensive. Steve Jobs please come back... we have had GREAT working Macs ever since the Lampshade iMac and that computer NOW 8 YEARS OLD is STILL working great!

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

With any product there are gonna be a some defective units out there. Sorry to hear that you've been having problems with your 13" MBP and hope everything gets settled soon.

Typically on the forums you'll hear more problems than praises. But I recently bought my 13" MBP a week ago and I've had no issues.

3. KumoWarrior, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

KumoWarrior thread starter macrumors newbie

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

5. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Well I definitely don't know what happened at your genius appointment, but have you tried to reload the OS?

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If it was defective and they were giving you a hard time... why not just return it then buy a new one?

7. KumoWarrior thread starter macrumors newbie

===

With regard to the idiot genius, the applecare guy spoke with the manager and apparently the idiot genius did admit his wrong behavior and an official complaint was registered...

Yes, after the first game was played saying that it is not the computer but the software we completely erased and re-installed JUST the OSX software so unless Apple inc. is ready to state that their operating system is defective (which I don't believe it is) then they would have to admit the hardware problem. Prior to this re-install the only software on the MBP was OSx and MS Office for Mac. Yes one idiot tried to blame it on MS so I called MS, they of course were most interested in the name of the idiot claiming such a thing because MS Office for Mac is Apple tested and approved. So as I said to avoid that sort of game playing on the new re-install it was JUST the OSx and it froze, locked tight...

8. KumoWarrior, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I usually give posters the benefit of the doubt, but from your post alone it reads like you were probably less than pleasant to work with so, while still not appropriate, said Apple employee refused to help you constructively.

As I learned myself, you catch more bees with honey. I've found that simply being nice gets me much farther along than threatening behavior. My last issue was with my iPad, and I walked out with a replacement unit in under 15 minutes.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

You might want to re read your post, you don't mention that at all.

Not to be mean but I think jenzjen might be on to something...

11. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I felt the same way, but I thought it was just how I was reading it.

12. crush500 macrumors member

Sorry you're having trouble with your MBP but you aren't doing yourself any favors by being a dick. There's no need to send demanding letters from your attorney. There's no need to mock the Geniuses or engineers. If something is truly wrong with the computer Apple will fix it. It might take a few tries for them to catch the problem but sooner or later you'll get someone who can tell something is defective. Apple isn't out to screw you. If something is wrong (and they are at fault) they'll fix it.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

+1. I don't see how your bad experience with one laptop results in the company going down due to Sjobs health issues. The first thing that will go down is the stock.

14. mikeytwice macrumors member

Same... this guy is a darsh.

15. KumoWarrior, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

=======

Thanks Jenzjen.... Actually I have spent a great deal of time in diplomatic issues. For this purpose I am basically venting as Apple dealt primarily with my niece not me... I have stayed in the background a bit so my niece can learn the skill set necessary to deal with difficult people and stand up for herself in an assertive manner.... I am glad you received a replacement but I am not sure what your timeframe was... in the present case the MBP was just about one week outside of the refund/return time... this is of course why I recommended to her to purchase APPLECARE because apple would never let her down.... we are having to eat those words... and our niece is learning another lesson, if apple STILL does not step up to the plate this week and issue a replacement, she has the opportunity to experience being cheated. Her options then as our attorney has stated that she could easily take apple to small claims court and with her documentation it should be easy to obtain a favorable judgement... but if she has to go that route apple's reputation would be greatly diminished. Let's hope that apple steps up to the plate and help this young college girl be happy with her apple mbp....

It is my hope that apple retains its reputation for being the best company out there.....

It is my personal hope that apple does indeed retain its reputation for financial reasons as well... i bought into apple at $35.00 a share... I REALLY like apple. But even that does not give apple the right to mis-treat a little girl just wanting a reliable computer.

16. Cole JM macrumors regular

Could be a batch of them. A buddy of mine had to help a woman with a bad mbp

17. KumoWarrior thread starter macrumors newbie

====

I don't know how old you are but I watched apple go down the tubes when steve left the company the last time... apple had one horrible ceo after another selling computers that did not work and that no one wanted... and yes our stock did suffer, but believed that steve would not let his company go bust and he did come back, that gamble paid off because we bought in at a very very nice stock price.... so am sensitive to apple performance... It is our hope that steve makes a full recovery and is able to go back to apple and kick butt again....

18. sketdansu macrumors member

very true

This is very true. My iphone developed glass splotches(from zagg skin) and they gave me a new iphone 4 no hassle whatsoever. These "geniuses" are people too, so treat them with respect and you will be better off

19. dslrjunky macrumors regular

why do i get a feeling that im almost like reading a letter from a Nigerian prince who wants me to cash his check and would pay me millions of dollars for just doing it, because his dad, a king is unable to do it because of a failng health..

:D

20. KumoWarrior thread starter macrumors newbie

====

Cole, we are suspecting that as well. We met a very angry couple who have an identical mbp 13 as our niece and they were badly treated by apple as well. In their case it was discovered almost too late that the problem with their brand new mbp was a defective hard drive which kept locking the computer.

Now having said that it is known and understood that no company can produce 100% defective free products. The issue then is how the company stands behind their products, or does not stand behind their computers...

21. KumoWarrior thread starter macrumors newbie

===

sketdansu: this situation was reviewed by the store manager and the idiot genius admitted what happened, the complaint my niece filed was made permanent... It is the idiot genius that did not respect apple customers especially little girls. this idiot genius has no business being an apple employee, he will not mess up this good company....

22. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I'm sure this will greatly hurt their reputation.

23. dslrjunky macrumors regular

on a serious note what is it that you expect apple to do in your case? they stand behind their product, you demanded an outright exchange which is not the norm behind any companies warranty policy, unless it specifically says on their contract which usually has a disclaimer at the "company's own discretion"

have they take a look at the machine itself? yes
    have they sent it out for repair? not yet, I guess they can go that route send it offsite for repair or if you are nice they can bend that rule (as for others have mentioned) replace it out right..
    but going to court? i dont think its a practical way to handle this, but thats just me..

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

You smell like a troll, but I will bite. I like how you used the wonderfully vague verb "resulting." Who filed the complaint? I assume it was you. Who did you file it with? I assume it was the Better Business Bureau. Do you have a case number or any evidence for your claim?

How do you know? Did she spill something on it? Did a friend use it and install something bad on it? It seems like you are jumping to conclusions.

Really? Your niece bought a professional grade computer and did not purchase a single app? What is she doing on this computer?

Great anecdotal evidence. In fact, we know nothing about their situation. And, you don't know what Apple did for them. It may well have been a defective drive that Apple immediately replaced. You might be surprised to hear that sometimes electronics don't work, Apple is aware of this, and they tend to bend over backwards to fix stuff.

Holy cow. Way to jump off the rails and slide down into non-sequiter zone. A store employee didn't treat your niece the way you think she should have been treated. I doubt you treated him the way he thought he ought to be treated. And, now Apple is collapsing under the weight of the 13" MBP tragedy? I doubt it.

Well, you have a point there with the genius label. That is a silly name for their staff. Geniuses aren't necessarily nice. But, you know what? They have managers, and rather than berating the guy and filing complaints (with whom?), you might try going that route instead. They are "geniuses," not necessarily "generous, compassionate, super-beings."

It runs beautifully. People I know with last year's MBP love theirs as well. I saw no sad faces in the Apple store. In fact, nothing but good stories about Apple, and good experiences so far (I had to return one keyboard cover, and they were cool with that).