Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I've had three laptops in my life, and my progression has gone from a 17" Dell to a 15" HP and now to a 13" MBP. When I first got the MBP I thought the screen was on the small side and was seriously considering going for one of its larger cousins but now after using it for a few months...I really don't think I could go back. It's the perfect size for a portable computer; especially when I'm on the go like in a car, a Motor-home or an airplane. When I use larger laptops now, they just seem so bulky and unwieldy.

Now, I can understand why people who do editing or similar work on their mobile computers would need more screen space - but for someone like me who mostly uses my computers as media consuming devices along with some very light word and photo editing, it's just the perfect size. If I seriously wanted more space I'd look into an external display...but 13" is the sweet spot for me now.

Just wanted to hear what you guys think is the sweet spot.

And well.... Here's a 20 inch Dell for your viewing pleasure...or shall I say, disgust.

UKdellm2010-320-0-24657-20061109_150015-320x240.jpg

Unpleasant

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
13" is the sweet spot, I wish they had a Hi-Res option tho.. That would make the 13" sweeter lol. I have to scroll too much when I edit photos/video sometimes. :(

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Just wanted to hear what you guys think is the sweet spot.
Isn't this like asking everyone what their favorite color is? All responses will be entirely subjective.

Statistically speaking, 13" MB's are the biggest seller. That doesn't mean everyone preferred the size, just the price.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Yep, 13" is where I want to be also. I do wish they offered a high-res screen(1680x1050, even of it was $250/$300 more or whatever for glossy/AG I would go for it), but I don't see myself giving up the 13" form factor. The lack of a dedicated GPU doesn't bother me, I can still push 12+GB .mkv BluRays to my TV, so it's fine for me.

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
13" is the sweet spot, I wish they had a Hi-Res option tho.. That would make the 13" sweeter lol. I have to scroll too much when I edit photos/video sometimes. :(

Yup. My 2010 i7 2.8ghz 15" HD screen is so much better visual wise than my 2010 13" c2d.

Processor aside. The monitors are not comparable. 13" HD would make a HUGE difference.

The Air is HD right? that'd be better.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010

Lol, definitely agree with you there. The fact that the 13" MBA has a higher resolution screen than the Pro is ludicrous...but oh well, hopefully we'll see it in the next major refresh.

Isn't this like asking everyone what their favorite color is? All responses will be entirely subjective.

Statistically speaking, 13" MB's are the biggest seller. That doesn't mean everyone preferred the size, just the price.

What's your point? I entirely expect the responses to be subjective...that's what makes it interesting.

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
What's your point? I entirely expect the responses to be subjective...that's what makes it interesting.

His point is the 13" is cheaper than any other MBP. Therefor people will buy it because it's the cheapest mac.

IMO 13" is not the best at at all. 13" is the worst.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'm debating for the 15" or 17" for next year

It'll be better to get the 17" since it's better to have the higher res available than to have the 15" and to need the higher res and not have it?

Hmmmm

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
13" is definitely best size for mobility

not best if you want a high res screen with all the performance bells and whistles

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I'm debating for the 15" or 17" for next year

It'll be better to get the 17" since it's better to have the higher res available than to have the 15" and to need the higher res and not have it?

Hmmmm

15" is available in high res, so is the 17". 13" is the only one that is not.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
His point is the 13" is cheaper than any other MBP. Therefor people will buy it because it's the cheapest mac.

IMO 13" is not the best at at all. 13" is the worst.

Except that this isn't even a conversation about the different Mac models. I soley meant for this to be a conversation about screen size; mac or not. I'm pretty sure Sony makes some pretty decent 13" computers that are spec-wise way above the 13" MBP.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
13" is definitely best size for mobility
Aye, and exactly the reason I bought a 13" too; portable computers are meant to be portable after all. :)

not best if you want a high res screen with all the performance bells and whistles
True, but generally you can attach a standalone screen to compensate for that. If you're out and about on the move, then you're already most likely not in the best working environment so complaining about the screen res when on a bus or an airport terminal is just one minor inconvenience on top of a bunch of others that'd still be there even with a higher res screen. :)

Also, the poor wittle Intel GMA GPU in the 13" would have to work harder to keep a high-res screen updated. I feel the current screen really is quite sufficient for the level of performance the GPU offers.

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Well, "high-res" on the 15 is still lower than the standard(only) resolution on the 17.

That's like buying a 60' old tube television and saying mine has high resolution than your 20' 1080p television.

Very misleading. Most people consider 'resolution' to be how defined objects can be in the picture, not simply the number of pixels.

(p.s. i didn't double check my numbers, or yours for that matter)

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Except that this isn't even a conversation about the different Mac models. I soley meant for this to be a conversation about screen size; mac or not. I'm pretty sure Sony makes some pretty decent 13" computers that are spec-wise way above the 13" MBP.

You're whole post didn't have a single question mark except for the title.

Maybe you should rephrase you're "question".

The 13" has the worst screen resolution BY FAR. What else do you want to know? Worst screen= sweet spot for you? OK.

Sounds like you're looking for people to agree with you and tell you how great your MBP is. I have a 13" mbp. it's not the "sweet spot".

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
The 17 has a higher dpi than the high-res 15 as well, so either way you want to look at it(screen real estate or picture quality), the screen on the 17 wins.

An where can I get a 60 foot, or for that matter a 20 foot, TV?

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
The 17 has a higher dpi than the high-res 15 as well, so either way you want to look at it(screen real estate or picture quality), the screen on the 17 wins.

Higher dpi? I'll take your word for it. I didn't know that. My 15" 2010 HD is awesome. The 17" must be unbelievable.

60 foot, or for that matter a 20 foot, TV?

Send me 5k+10k shipping to my paypal and i'll send it right out, i have the only one in the world. :p

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I had a 15" Dell monstrosity, which was so unwieldy I only took it out of the house once, and then after the wifi broke, I mostly used a 10" netbook instead. That felt tiny to begin with, and after a while, it still felt tiny. 1024x600 is simply not enough. How did we manage when 640x480 was high resolution?

Finally I saw the light, and got a 13" MacBook Pro. The physical size is pretty much perfect, but I would like a slightly higher resolution - like in the 13" Air. If only it had a lot more storage, that would be my ideal computer.

kyle1320

Suspended
Apr 23, 2011
In my own little world
I'd probably have gone for the 15" if I did more gaming or serious photo / video editing. Otherwise, I agree with you that the 13" is the perfect size. When I use my old 15" windoze laptop, I just feel like the screen is way too large.

rienrah

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
Now, I can understand why people who do editing or similar work on their mobile computers would need more screen space - but for someone like me who mostly uses my computers as media consuming devices along with some very light word and photo editing, it's just the perfect size. If I seriously wanted more space I'd look into an external display...but 13" is the sweet spot for me now.

I just stepped UP to a 13"-- from my 12" iBook G4. I love the big screen!:D

ThirtyThr33

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Boulder, Colorado

I love it when people are rude on forums about "stupid questions" yet they answer anyway. If you're on this site you prolly have nothing better to do.

as for the OP, i agree with you. I think the 13" has a certain coziness to it that the 15 and 17 dont have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.