Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Walk into the gym, raise my wrist to start a workout using the workout app, and I just stand there, with my wrist in the air, like an idiot while the application loads, then for the watch to registers my finger pushes and then the app starts a workout. A good 15-25 seconds pass by..

Raise to respond to a text?.... I've stopped using the watch for anything other than a watch due to the fact that I look like a clown just standing there waiting for my watch to catch up. And these are Apples OWN native apps. I can understand if I was using Google Maps or something. But WOW.. This thing sucks. If I had not gotten it for free, I would have returned this for sure. It makes for an awesome watch given its look and different faces. But besides telling me I have a new text (while simultaneously DRAINING my cellphones battery thanks to Bluetooth) when my phone is in my jeans or bag... This watch is proving less and less useful as time goes on.

Using Hey Siri, I'll spare the execution on this one and just not bother. But LMAO at this feature.

Last edited:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
No, it's cool. Really.

19-1506030ZF0.jpg

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
It's a hopeless situation and its clearly not an item for you. How about if we offer twice as much as what you paid for plus shipping which will provide you the relief you are looking for?

AmazingGraceTx

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
San Antonio Texas
I do feel like cracking up whenever I take a call on the watch. I know it looks funny and I'm old enough that it reminds me of the old Dick Tracy comics when he would talk into his watch. As for looking stupid, I'm looking stupid with an Apple Watch. Just leaving that out there.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...I've stopped using the watch for anything other than a watch due to the fact that I look like a clown just standing there waiting for my watch to catch up.....
Believe it or not you are not the center of the universe or even the center of other peoples' thoughts. People look at you with passing judgment or indifference the same way you do to other strangers. No one goes home and 'obsesses', cares or even gives a 2ed thought over your actions. We always OVER estimate our importance or impact on strangers beliefs.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Mine Works Perfect. Life is good don't waste it with useless products, toss it in the bin

Reactions: lg251

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
Using Hey Siri, I'll spare the execution on this one and just not bother. But LMAO at this feature.

LMAO. I've seen a guy using siri on his watch. He looked weird AF talking to his hand. Jesus! I've even made fun of him: Talking to your GF, huh?.
:))

Reactions: Reidan

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
They do need to address the slowness of apps loading. For example, if you are in line at starbucks, you should be able to say to siri "Open wallet" and it should immediately load up. It doesn't, and never does. I now say it 1-2 customers before I am at the front of the line.

This seems like a little thing, but this happens with every app loading. In fact the only thing that instantly loads for me is apple pay.

Reactions: Arran

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't think it makes you look stupid, but when I saw someone using one at the airport the other day it looked really awkward to use and got rid of the last bit of interest I had in getting one.

SlyMaster13

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Arizona
Its not for everyone but I personally like using my watch in public and showing it off. Ill purposefully take it out when I don't need it to show it off. I get a lot of questions and compliments on it.

Reactions: Mr.C

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Baltimore, MD
While I don't give a hoot about what anyone thinks of me, I do agree that the lag and delay to simply start and stop a workout is pretty slow.

I've got into the habit now of, after I tap the workout app, I'll spin the crown until the watch reacts to the spinning, then I know it's ready.

Same at the end of the work out... swipe-swipe-swipe-End, scroll around with the wheel until any lagging clears up THEN push "Save Workout" - once I didn't and the lag registered my tap as "Discard". That was pretty annoying.

Finally, because many fitness apps aren't updated yet, my current workout work flow is......... start the workout app, go through the motions mentioned above. Go to my phone, launch my actual workout app (iSmoothRun), put my phone away in my backpack or running belt. Go back to my watch, load iSmoothRun there, wait for it..... wait for it.... okay, Run/Ride.

#complicated

In the end, I've got my flow down. I tend to start Apple's workout app earlier (and stop it later), say while I'm still upstairs or whatever, because I'm not using it for Strava or actual route/speed/etc tracking or any of that, just for filling circles and heart rate & calorie monitoring.

Judging from this post - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/watchos-2-and-fitness-apps.1924209/#post-22058075 - I'm a little alarmed & concerned about what this watch is going to be capable of in the future. I had high hopes, but I'm worried that once again, Apple's limitations will, well, limit what their devices are truly capable of.

We'll see.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
The only thing I've had to deal with is people who think I'm in a hurry, because I'm looking at my wrist more than usual. Since smartwatches aren't ubiquitous, and people aren't used to them, yet, I try to warn people that looking at my wrist isn't a signal of me being in a hurry and wanting to get out of there. :)

Reactions: SlyMaster13

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
The Apple Watch is not for everyone. You are not alone as it was not for me either, but for different reasons.

Not replying to Newton...

In all the time of owning the Apple Watch and reading this forum, I have come to two conclusions:

1) If you have OCD, don't get this or any smartwatch. Especially gen 1.

2) If you lack confidence/esteem and worry too much what others might think, don't get this or any smartwatch.

On the flip side...

If you want one device to wear with a suit or jeans/shorts/casual - while swimming and showering and have it track weather, play music without the need for another device, use Bluetooth headphones without another device, track your daily meetings, notes, tasks, to do, etc, without another device and track fitness without another device - no matter what that fitness may be and you are not (see 1 above). This device might be for you. I love it and it is spot on 100% accurate for my running and walking and tracking heart rate.

I just went for a long walk in the beautiful weather. I raised my arm and clicked the crown and picked the workout icon... It loaded in half a second and I chose outdoor walk, accepted 300 calories and hit start. I walked a known and measured distance using just the watch and my jaybird headphones listening to music and having the outdoor walk exercise workout going. Final results for a one hour walk.

Apple Watch 3.71 miles, 359 calories 60 minutes of exercise. Avg heart rate 109bpm not once losing the pulse.

I measured the distance with three different devices; my car gps, my phone gps and online.

They all measured 3.7-3.76 miles. Calculated calorie burn for a man my age and weight and height and sex was 350 to 370 calories.

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
They do need to address the slowness of apps loading. For example, if you are in line at starbucks, you should be able to say to siri "Open wallet" and it should immediately load up. It doesn't, and never does. I now say it 1-2 customers before I am at the front of the line.
How is this worse than pulling out a real wallet ahead of time? Bugs me when the person in front of me waits until the cashier gives the price before picking up their purse and digging around for their wallet.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i am mostly embarrassed by the fact how long it takes to do anything. friend just asked me for the weather forecast and by the time the stupid thing opened he already went like "nvm ... and took out his phone". i only really use it as a notification extender so i dont have to check my iPhone wvery minute to see if i missed something

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Don't worry OP. Nobody notices you. They've got their noses buried in their own devices. :)
This is more true than I would have guessed. Say that one of my coworkers and I get the same text message -- I've already sent a response via my AW's canned replies while he's launching his Messages app. I didn't have to look down for more than five or six seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.