Anyone get a HUMMER?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PowerFullMac, Feb 10, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hi, im interested in cars so im just curious here, does anyone here have a HUMMER here? And if so, what one is it and what do you think of it?

They seem pretty cool, but I thought I would get input from owners.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You're interested in cars and you're asking about Hummers?

I thought the two were mutually exclusive.

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

last night....anyway, i think they are awsome SUV's. My friend has a H3 and it is truly a awesome vehicle

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Just here to defend you,

<talking to everybody> Don't turn this into a "Don't buy a hummer, go plant trees and swing from them to go everywhere" conversation.

I've rode in a H2, and I liked it but not more than any other car. so nothing special.

5. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Cool!

HUMMERs are cars...

EDIT: Thanks, Fearless Leader!

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I used to own one, i loved it because i go off-roads with it and it was great at it. I used to drive the H2 SUT (google it and click on images), i loved that car but it was a bit difficult to drive. We do have big roads here and even thou it was a bit challenging. I traded my H2 for a 2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT, I find it much better for driving and not much worse in off-roads and i am glade i pick it.

If you want a Hummer car but not so big I would recommend that Escalade, once i tested it out i knew it was my kind of car.

If you have any questions throw me a PM.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

There's only one Hummer, and that's the H1. The others are just reskinned & overpriced Chevys. 10 mpg on a vehicle that costs twice as much as the one it's based on? I don't think so.

The H1 discontinued production on '06, and will still cost you $95K+. I guess the good thing about buying used ones is that most owners never took them off-road. Twunts.

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hey, thanks crazycat! Im only 13 so I wont be buying one soon, but I do advise people because im interested, also I do intend on buying a HUMMER.

EDIT: I saw a 2007 HUMMER for £31k, so not so bad, fuel econamy sucks though.

9. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

If you want an all terrain vehicle, get a Land Rover Defender. If you don't get a car that gets more than 15 mpg and feel better about yourself :)

Getting a hummer in the UK would ostracise you from just about everyone, you'd also get the general public holding out their little fingers at you as you trundle past :eek:

10. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I don't like the H2, its just way to big and wide and you'll have every tree hugger scraping their key along side your car. It's a symbol of wasting gas but really doesn't get that much worse of gas milage than a 6.0L pickup, denali, or esclade.

The H1 is cool buy obviously not a practical car at all. The H3 seems to be a cool little car, and gets decent fuel economy, visibility must suck in it though, along with the H2.

Personally I would just go off and buy a Land Rover. Much more prestige, Much nicer car, much more advanced car, much more heritage, and people actually respect them.

[​IMG]

11. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

Why not get a cheaper car that's better for the environment (and easier on your wallet)? Unless you're going off-road a lot, of course. Forgive me if you are.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't own one...but I've been in them

Nothing great...I don't think they should be sold now.

13. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

The H2 is based off a Tahoe/Yukon/Esclade. If it performs anything like a Yukon off road, you're not going to want to be driving it. I took one off road once and it absolutely sucked. Too mushy of a suspension and just not enough feel.

14. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Well no one will get in your way when your driving! :D

15. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I used to have one, they are okay, nothing special, same thing as an avalanche (well almost) it would be very nice to still have it with all this snow...

16. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

He should get a Defender TDI. What do those get like 25-30mpg? I can only imagine how slow it is though.

Here in America we'd die to get our hands on a new Defender.

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The H2 is based on the Suburban's 2500 HD frame. Which sucks for off roading. If you want a Hummer that can truly go off road you have the H1 and H3 which is based off the GMT-355 platform( Colorado). The H1 is still king of off roading Hummers, but the H3 is decent. The H2 though is just horrid. But, the 2008 H2 has the 6.2 V8 with a 6 speed along with a new interior.

I personally am neutral. If I was going to do some off roading I would go out and buy the H3 Alpha( 5.3 V8). But, for daily driving visibility sucks and the I-5 is a decent performer, but that V8 is the better engine to choose from.

18. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Ten year old Defender's go for well over 7 Grand in the UK. Fine vehicles, that they are.

I think Hummers look ridiculous personally. If you are planning to go off road then there are better alternatives, if not, American's are more foolish than I had originally thought... :rolleyes:

19. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If we are just talking about looks, I think hummers are better than all SUVs I have seen!

20. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Am I missing something...?
    [​IMG]

Mate you're British, you have slight respect for the environment surly?! lol.

21. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Ok, H1s are ugly, but H2s and H3s look verrrryyyy cool :D

And not really, I do recycle though, but only because you have to.

22. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

I am not trying to be patronising, honestly, but you are only 13 (I know 13 year olds that know far more than me about macs etc!) but I was playing with matchbox cars at 13...

I drive a 1ltr Toyota Aygo, the thought of a 6ltr beast would horrify me. I work as a trainer in insurance and we consider anything over 2ltr's a large vehicle!

23. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Well, like you said, im only 13, perhaps when im older I will decide to buy a different car.

24. dogtanian macrumors 6502

dogtanian

Landrover Defender! :p

25. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

It's still a few years before you are allowed to buy one (13!) but:

- When you'll be 18 gas will be VERY expensive. I'm not sure about my estimations (I had to look for specs and UK gas prices on the net), but right now, filling the gas tank of an H2 would cost around 120 pounds, to get around 320 miles.

- Everytime you'll see people in the street staring at you, don't think "Wow, they admire me because I drive a Hummer". Actually, most will probably be thinking: "Wow, what a jerk". (This is true in Europe, I guess in the US it's different, given the amount of SUVs...)

- It's just ugly. The H1 at least looked like a real offroader.

Even Jeremy Clarkson wonders why would anybody buy a Hummer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6be7fwGgksY