Anyone getting a watch with no iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by matt9013, Jan 6, 2015.

1. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

I love watches but don't have an iPhone. Still plan on getting an :apple:Watch though as it looks cool and I like the customizations I can make even without the phone. Anyone in the same boat?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. matt9013 thread starter macrumors 6502

matt9013

For most things yeah but just for the basic watch features like time pieces, telling time etc you don't need the phone. Or I don't think you would as all I want is the time. I don't expect GPS, chat etc to work.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

:D if that's what you get it for.

5. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Really? You can find far nicer, better looking watches that will tell the time for the price of an :apple:Watch. I can't imagine getting the :apple:Watch without owning an iPhone. Unless you just have money to blow for the heck of it.

6. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Seems like a waste of money, if you don't have an iPhone. Maybe at least until WWDC when native apps are coming.
    So, if I were you, either get an iPhone or wait until the middle of the year.

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

There is also the chance that you'll need an iPhone to activate the Apple Watch, like how you used to need iTunes to activate an iPhone.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

No idea if it's an absolute requirement, but I'd wait until it's confirmed you can use it without an iPhone before you bought one...

[​IMG]

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Some people just have more money than they know what to do with...

10. Dave245 macrumors 601

I don't think so, part of the reason why I want to get one is because of the comparability with my iPhone 6 Plus. I think if your going to get the Apple Watch your going to need an iPhone

11. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

You can get a very nice traditional watch for the same amount of money if you are just going to use it for time/date. And it won't even be obsolete in 2 years time :)

12. saschke macrumors 6502

13. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Will the Apple Watch stop telling time in 2 years?

While I personally wouldn't buy the device without an iPhone, I find it kind of funny that people are saying it's a waste of money when the OP has said he just loves watches. People spend way more money on watches that do nothing else but tell time so, assuming the OP doesn't mind spending a lot of cash on a watch, I don't think spending $350 on an Apple Watch is that ridiculous compared to spending thousands on a Rolex or other premium watch.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

After approximately 1000 charge cycles it will.:D

15. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

The difference, I suppose, is that the Rolex will be worth more in years to come. I don't see the :apple:Watch being collectable, especially the entry level model. However, I do agree. It is his money and he can spend it how he likes. I just think it's a waste if you aren't going to have an iPhone to go with it.

16. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Lol fair enough.

17. apple.snapple macrumors regular

I would assume it would work with a LTE iPad... or even a iPod Touch... anything with iOS8 and a connection, wifi or otherwise.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is a tall assumption since we don't know if you can have the :apple:Watch control App on these devices.

19. matt9013 thread starter macrumors 6502

matt9013

Pretty much my reasoning. $350 is nothing compared to the thousand dollar Rolex's or other high end watches. I don't plan on selling it so value going down doesn't bother me. Just something cool to have and wear.

20. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

It's very possible that you won't be able to use it for anything without doing an initial setup with an iPhone.

Just like how past iOS devices had to be plugged into a computer with iTunes before you could use them.

As other posters have said, I would definitely wait for more information before you spend hundreds of dollars on what could end up being a fancy Livestrong bracelet.

21. matt9013 thread starter macrumors 6502

matt9013

I will wait for more information as I'm sure Apple will have a key note or something for the watch. I'm not going in blind just that if I am able to use it as a watch without needing a iPhone, I'll probably get one.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPad, iPod touch and iPhone run the same software, and have almost the same hardware, so what technical reason could there be that the apple Watch will only be able to work with one of them?

23. scott99, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015

scott99 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty much going the same route, but going with the Moto 360 (or if the Moto 360 II is shown at CES), and have no Android phone (have an iPhone 6+). Being a watch fanatic, I like the idea of one day having a Bell & Ross watch face, the next day, a Breitling, the next day a Rolex, the next day a Tag Heuer, etc. I don't have that kind of money for all of those kinds of watches, but I do have $250 and will be rocking dozens of watch faces. Unlike you, I have an Android product (I have a Nexus 7 wi-fi tablet), but like you, I don't really care about the notifications and extras that come along with the watch. I care about the watch itself (love the way it looks), and the ability to change up the look anytime I want. I'm sure the Apple Watch will have the ability to do all of the watch faces as well (eventually), but I don't like how round watch faces look on square watches, and to be quite honest, I'm not a fan of the Apple watch, don't care for the way it looks.

24. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The Health app only is included on the iPhone and iPod Touch, not the iPad. Its very possible (I would even say likely) that when the Apple Watch is released you will need to install a new iOS update on your iPhone which includes the Apple Watch software, as opposed to making people download it from the App Store.

25. ikmisje macrumors member

No

like android wear, you might need an iPhone to activate your apple watch. otherwise you can not use it