Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
There is no USB (or any other type) connection. The only 'connection' is by using the BT/WiFi 'AirPlay' of the iPhone.
Thought it had a charging connection? If not than maybe these things will be useless without an iPhone.

Kinda stupid on Apple's part as I don't see these being big sellers as an iPhone accessory. Being able to use these without an iPhone would cater to a much larger market. Iphones sell a lot but the market is much more than just iPhones and they automatically loose all those customers right out of the gate.

Even letting me use my Ipad would be cool.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Thought it had a charging connection? If not than maybe these things will be useless without an iPhone...

It is inductive (wireless) charging.

It's also possible (or likely) that you will need the iPhone master app to even get the watch faces. So it is highly possible that you can't even tell time without an iPhone or be 'stuck' with one (default) watch face.

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
It is inductive (wireless) charging.

It's also possible (or likely) that you will need the iPhone master app to even get the watch faces. So it is highly possible that you can't even tell time without an iPhone or be 'stuck' with one (default) watch face.
On the Apple website they show the charger and say it's a MAGSafe type charger that wouldn't be wireless.
flow_endframe.jpg

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I don't see the point of the watch, it just doesn't do anything new or interesting over any of the other products you can already get.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Also how do you propose to put music on the :apple:Watch without an iPhone?:eek:

I hadn't thought about this, but that would make putting music on the watch a pretty convoluted process. What if I have music that I want on my watch but not on the phone?

Oh, wait, iTunes has wireless syncing. Although it hardly ever works for iOS devices, I had nearly forgotten about it. :p

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Oh, wait, iTunes has wireless syncing. Although it hardly ever works for iOS devices, I had nearly forgotten about it. :p

...but NOT with wOS devices. Apple is crystal clear about this. The only way to pass any data into the :apple:Watch is through there iPhone's :apple:Watch master App.

The :apple:Watch has no way of connecting onto your WiFi network.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I already have a Galaxy S3 and truth is I hate phones. I hardly use my phone as it is now and just don't need a new one.

I just want to be able to use the watch to tell time, listen to music over bluetooth, camera at times and that's about it. I don't mind Apple requiring the iPhone for other features but find it funny that they may require it for all features, even ones that don't need an iPhone really.

They wouldn't be doing anything different to the other smart watch manufacturers. You'd be better off getting a smart watch which works with your phone, that way you'll get far better usage out of one. But if you're really after an Apple Watch then I guess that's entirely up to you.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
...but NOT with wOS devices. Apple is crystal clear about this. The only way to pass any data into the :apple:Watch is through there iPhone's :apple:Watch master App.

Really? Must have missed that detail. Where did they say this?

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
They wouldn't be doing anything different to the other smart watch manufacturers. You'd be better off getting a smart watch which works with your phone, that way you'll get far better usage out of one. But if you're really after an Apple Watch then I guess that's entirely up to you.
That's my point though. Other smart watches aren't selling like hotcakes and now Apple wants to introduce there own and more than likely price it up more than the competition.

These won't sell well for Apple I'm guessing. They would sell a lot more if you could do more with it without having an iPhone. Even open it up to iPad users or something. No one is going to spend $350+ on a phone accessory.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
That's my point though. Other smart watches aren't selling like hotcakes and now Apple wants to introduce there own and more than likely price it up more than the competition.

These won't sell well for Apple I'm guessing. They would sell a lot more if you could do more with it without having an iPhone. Even open it up to iPad users or something. No one is going to spend $350+ on a phone accessory.

I'm betting they will sell very well. And future updates will enable the watch to do more without the phone.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I'm betting they will sell very well. And future updates will enable the watch to do more without the phone.

Yeah. You always have to start somewhere. I can see the second generation being lighter and thinner, more software capabilities, more strap options...

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Another thing to consider is your ability to update Watch OS without an iPhone. Will it require the companion app to update?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Really? You think Apple watch would need to be charged daily for simply displaying the time (no notifications, customisations, app use etc) ?

All lith-ion batteries average about 1000 full charge cycles in practical life usage.

This has nothing to do with predicting the battery capacity of the :apple:Watch.

As far as what I think the :apple:Watch capacity will probably be. If you cut HR monitoring off and only use for time and just look at once or twice an hour you could probably get 3 to 7 days life.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Oh, wait, iTunes has wireless syncing. Although it hardly ever works for iOS devices, I had nearly forgotten about it. :p

We now have the best evidence as to how Music will likely work on the :apple:Watch. Here is the way Pics are done and since music is the only other controllable external storage allowed it will probably work the same.

Looks like you can view (and listen to all) iPhone Pics (and Music) while the iPhone is pared. You can then select what Pics (and Music) you want to "include" on the :apple:Watch and set the amount of Storage allowed.

companion-8_zps64ee4560.jpg

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009

Where are they clear about this? It's seems like assumption to me.

Don't get me wrong, I understand there will be major dependence on the iPhone, but communication will not be locked between the two to enable things like Handoff between it and OS X. There's no reason to use iPhone as a buffer in cases like that.

The  Watch's Wifi capabilities haven't been explicitly told to anyone, yet. The SDK devs themselves haven't offered any specific evidence other than, "you shouldn't anticipate how data is transferred to the device." With that said, I would be surprised if  Watch required you to put music on your phone and then transfer it to your watch each and every time you wanted to update. Assuming  Watch's Wifi antenna is used solely for BT high speed, iPhone can add it to the network via Bonjour protocol which seems much easier and straight forward, plus pushes the device ever so slowly towards independence.

Edit: Though, after seeing the companion app, you may be right. It might have to go iTunes -> iPhone ->  Watch

Last edited:

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
We now have the best evidence as to how Music will likely work on the :apple:Watch. Here is the way Pics are done and since music is the only other controllable external storage allowed it will probably work the same.

Looks like you can view (and listen to all) iPhone Pics (and Music) while the iPhone is pared. You can then select what Pics (and Music) you want to "include" on the :apple:Watch and set the amount of Storage allowed.

I'd love to see what other options are under "Photos Limit". It could suggest how much space we're getting?

I think you're right that storage will be managed through the app. Similar to an iPod connecting to a Mac through iTunes, the Watch will connect to an iPhone through the app. I hope they have some cool 'shuffle' style features for loading music (like a 'smart refresh'), so we can still cycle through our libraries with ease.

There's a chance the inductive charging port could support a USB data connection for iTunes (I'd assume there's a USB connector at the other end of that MagSafe cable), but who physically syncs devices with computers any more?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Really? Must have missed that detail. Where did they say this?

Where are they clear about this? It's seems like assumption to me....

Edit: Though, after seeing the companion app, you may be right. It might have to go iTunes -> iPhone ->  Watch

Besides the Companion App evidence (or lack of) here is how we KNOW.

1) During the Keynote Apple said the :apple:Watch connected by BT. Apple was carful not to mention the word WiFi at all. So as not to confuse people into wrongly believing you could use your WiFi.

2) Also Apple implied or said (in other words) several times that all external communication would be through the iPhone.

3) To the best of my knowledge the only time Apple has said WiFi and :apple:Watch in the same sentence (and this is the only way we know it has WiFi) is in the hand out printed press release that accompanied the Keynote. It is 100% clear as to what WiFi is used for. Here is the sentence.

Apple Watch Press Release said:
Apple Watch also features Wi-Fi 802.11b/g and Bluetooth 4.0 to pair seamlessly with your iPhone.

Last edited:

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Besides the Companion App evidence (or lack of) here is how we KNOW.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you. All I am saying is that it doesn't mean that  Watch won't be "pairable" (not sure of the term in this case) with a Mac to enable things like Handoff.

e.g.: Messages.app on  Watch -> BT messages session to iPhone -> iPhone BT's session to Mac -> show option for Handoff/pass user session

It makes much more since allow a connection like: Messages.app on  Watch -> BT messages session direct to Mac

If all of the apps were localized on the iPhone, I could see a reason for using the iPhone as a conduit for connection to OS X, but since that is not the case, I think we will see more applications of interconnecting devices, in which case BT can trigger high speed (Wifi) if needed.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with you. All I am saying is that it doesn't mean that  Watch won't be "pairable" (not sure of the term in this case) with a Mac to enable things like Handoff....

It is an 'AirPlay' connection between the :apple:Watch and iPhone. Just like AirPly it will be a 'secret sauce' of BT and WiFi that is 100% transparent and completely inaccessible by the user. It will just "invisibly" work.

Just like AirPlay there will be no evidence of any WiFi connection to the end user.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Part of it will depend on how Apple presents the watch. Some will be bought by posers and narcissists. Some will go the those who worship the logo. Who cares anyway, it's all revenue for Apple. :)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Today on Tech News Today LINK Mark Gurman talks about music and picture storage (time code 5:15) and confirms Music will be added/removed through the iPhone Companion App just like Pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.