Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Not bored, just tired of waiting for it to mature app wise, which is why I moved on. I don't need OS integration, I just need REALLY good productivity apps that aren't tied to the internet.

Windows Phone and iOS have been much better for me in that respect.

Customization is fun, but I'm also 25, and feel that my personality should now be represented in my work and not my phone.

But different strokes for different folks.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Honestly, I am bored with Android right now, but I am fine with it.

If I switch back to iPhone right now, I will probably still be bored because I still use iOS daily on my iPad.

If I switch to Windows Phone, I will probably be bored within a month or two.

That is how humans work; we always get bored with something but that does not mean we are not content with it.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Hmmm...Not really.

At this point I kind of feel about Android the way I feel about about Mac OS X. It stays roughly the same with mild feature enhancements from updates. I know how to modify it to how I like it. And I am comfortable with it.

I generally stick with Nexus devices so I've been happy with the small evolutionary changes going from Gingerbread > Ice cream sandwich > Jelly Bean > Kitkat. Every once in a while I find a new app that makes me go aha! And then the device feels a little fresher.

Maybe that is just me though...I'd rather have no change than have changes that screw up my workflow.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Besides some new icons and colors, I find iOS to be the same old OS we've been accustomed to. Nothing new or different about it. A couple new features similar to Android but if Android bores you, not sure what you'll find interesting with iOS.

Now if you want to switch because you're deep into Apples ecosystem or spent a lot of money on apps, I can understand that.

That is true. I have purchased more then 300 dollars worth of apps and music and movies but that's not the thing, I kinda do miss the unified inbox feature in the iOS mail app and Safari since it is so much faster for me then Chrome on my Nexus 4.

----------

Honestly, I am bored with Android right now, but I am fine with it.

If I switch back to iPhone right now, I will probably still be bored because I still use iOS daily on my iPad.

If I switch to Windows Phone, I will probably be bored within a month or two.

That is how humans work; we always get bored with something but that does not mean we are not content with it.
I agree with this. I am content with it I just want something fresh.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I find android incredibly boring. But it's also incredibly useful. Every phone OS kinda has a similar balance going on, I think. You're always sacrificing something for something else.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Granted I've had my Nexus 4 for only 1 year and a bit, I've grown bored of it and am looking at a Lumia or back to the iPhone. Nothing wrong at all with Android, I rather enjoyed but I just want something different. Rather confused:confused:

Why would you be bored?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Get a refurb or used Ipod Touch on Amazon or Swappa and a Nokia 520 or 521. That should relieve boredom without spending much.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
I have too many interesting things going on in my life to let a phone bring me to boredom. My mobile devices are still in stock form. I just want things to work when I need them.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
What the nexus 4,5 allow you to do is buy two phones (without breaking the bank)..You could have one android and one IOS or WP and keep swapping them as you get bored..

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I got bored with iOS awhile back. Now that I have Android I'm not so bored anymore.

Well at least you do not have to wait on an IOS update folks have been getting antsy for. Thought there weren't issues on that OS.

Rocking the Note 3, no complaints whatsoever.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
No. I don't need an Operating system to entertain me. I just need it to work and for that Android does fine. It has all of the apps I need, performance is great, and it's flexible and easy to use.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Ya. I'm over the customization options of my phone. I just want something that works and works well. I will likely be getting a larger iPhone when it is announced.

try out Themer if you haven't already.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
No.

My phone is like my computer now. I wouldn't say that OSX is "boring", rather it works how I want it and lets me get on with it, much like Android.

Every time I get that itch for an iPhone I go and play with one and am cured instantly.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
People who are bored of operating systems like ios or android make my head scratch. I mean those are just backbones to get important stuff working (apps) where all the fun comes from, and besides, there are tons of more interesting things in life than an operating system.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Considering it's been 2 years of incredibly small updates from Google, I am. Hopefully there's something meaningful planned for this year.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Well at least you do not have to wait on an IOS update folks have been getting antsy for. Thought there weren't issues on that OS.

Rocking the Note 3, no complaints whatsoever.

Actually for pretty much all of my Android phones, I root and custom ROM all of them so basically I am not having to wait for updates.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Buy an Android phone and an iPad Mini, or an Android tablet and an iPhone. Throw a Surface Pro or a Chromebook into mix.

Boredom solved. All OS stores available, tweak/Jailbreak/root to your hearts desire.

All else fails, get a girl/boyfriend. Boredom and surplus time/money solved.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I find with Android it does to much and after time you get bored with all this customizing and realize it's just a phone and not a toy that I've wasted thousands of hours playing with it. Maybe it's a age thing.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I find with Android it does to much and after time you get bored with all this customizing and realize it's just a phone and not a toy that I've wasted thousands of hours playing with it. Maybe it's a age thing.

I'm 16, I don't think age should come into play here.

----------

Buy an Android phone and an iPad Mini, or an Android tablet and an iPhone. Throw a Surface Pro or a Chromebook into mix.

Boredom solved. All OS stores available, tweak/Jailbreak/root to your hearts desire.

All else fails, get a girl/boyfriend. Boredom and surplus time/money solved.
If I had the money to own all three... :p
At this moment not really looking at a relationship, I have friends. I'm bored of my phone, not my life

So therefore imo it is not valid to say that since these are on diffirent scales of boredom.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
not really
have android phone
and ios tablet

android can do things ios can't, even when jailbroken
you have to make the choice on which fits your needs / preference

root/jailbreak on either device should cure 'boredom'
fwiw I dont care for many aesthetic changes - You dont have to theme on android

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
lol I got bored of it. Not even afraid to admit that boredom was one of the motivators for me to get an iphone. Meh, that said, iOS 7 is a nice bright pretty OS, but CyanogenMod 10.1 on my note 2 was way more reliable.

I have a Surface Pro for a tablet right now, it's kinda nice but Microsoft's developer base sucks. Most programs are really low quality, and the shareware/freeware scene sucks. I can even say this about Windows in general - look at the best IM apps out there: Microsoft is only interested in making a Skype client since they own it, Trillian is pretty expensive and kinda bloated (and sometimes tacky), Pidgin looks like a relic from 1997, and Digsby (which looks somewhere in between Trillian and Pidgin) randomly tries to sneak Adware into their installer.

Actually, Oracle does that too - every time Java runs its auto updater it brings up a dialog, one of the "next" screens in there includes a box that is checked by default, giving them permission to install the Ask.com toolbar.

Let's think about that - one of the major runtimes for running 3rd party apps on Windows tries to sneak adware onto your computer.

And MS doesn't give a ****.

What the hell, MS?!

The worst thing about Windows though is that MS has the same feature creep Apple does. There is no cooperation to build a good ecosystem with services and the platform, instead they want to sell their own services. That's great, but when you've used something like Enyo in WebOS you start to go hrmmmm dang. What could have been.

In some sense, OS X still offers a nicer experience, despite Apple's weird tendency to do things. Haha, sorry for the ramble, just came to mind.

Google seems to be slipping down the same path now though. Back in the Gingerbread days, vanilla Android devices didn't really come with that many programs and Android was fairly neutral, with a slight google tilt. Now they're integrating everything Google into the phone to the point of being annoying, and it's funny because the 3rd party manufacturers are trying the same ****, too.

So you get an android phone and it's trying to be a GooglePhone and SamsungPhone all at the same time - offering you by default the Samsung Music Store (SamTunes! or whatever the hell they call it, I forgot) - Samsung's movie service, samsung's note taking program, samsung's email service, samsung's backup service, samsung's lost device locate.. oh yeah and since Google offers all of the same, those are there and you're kinda compelled to sign up for the google stuff too hahaha.

*double hit home button* Oh hello S voice! *holds back key* Oh hi Google Now! Gee whiz! What a confusing mess.

Seriously though, it cheeses me when manufacturers decide that buying something from them isn't a 1 time transaction, but becoming part of a lifestyle.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.