Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm going to call the OP out. It is probably time to put up or shut up.

Is your current experience with android ultimately limited to a dozen or so basic functions that your phone's hardware can support? Yes. That isn't abnormal, that is life. Boredom with what these and other devices could do is what gave rise to hacking (traditional definition).

Rooting and flashing ROMs are ultimately the province of an end-user. You're a consumer and as long as you remain just a consumer your experience will be limited to what others produce for you.

If you want to stop being bored then start delving into writing your own apps or ROMs. Until then, you're just another joe-schmoe on the street with a smartphone.

Oh my god. As I've said I've been using PA for the past week or so. I am no longer bored. A new OTA for PA is dropping and I am eagerly awaiting it.

So I will neither be "shutting up" or "putting up"

Or was your post not meant to be taken in a negative tone? If it was not I apologise:)

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Oh my god. As I've said I've been using PA for the past week or so. I am no longer bored. A new OTA for PA is dropping and I am eagerly awaiting it.

So I will neither be "shutting up" or "putting up"

Or was your post not meant to be taken in a negative tone? If it was not I apologise:)

I can't wait to see PA's new notification system. As much as I would love to run PA, I love TW SPen apps and functions. I know there are alternatives but until I find something that can beat TW SPen apps and functions I'm gonna stick with TW and use a different launcher.

You should look into Wooper Widgets by the people that did Themer if you havent already. http://mycolorscreen.com/ has some nice work if you havent been there before.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I can't wait to see PA's new notification system. As much as I would love to run PA, I love TW SPen apps and functions. I know there are alternatives but until I find something that can beat TW SPen apps and functions I'm gonna stick with TW and use a different launcher.

You should look into Wooper Widgets by the people that did Themer if you havent already. http://mycolorscreen.com/ has some nice work if you havent been there before.

Peek is incredible. Now to see the HALO replacement.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
You never get bored in the android world.

Google just announced android for wearables.

There's new stuff in the android world every couple of months.

It's awesome.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

It's awesome.

People aren't gonna read my last few posts are they?

I've stated I haven't been bored anymore. I'm running PA with the new peek feature and loving it. I found a new launcher, loving that as well.

----------

Just bored of threads like that :)

Read above.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
One cool thing about Android or at least some of the higher spec flagships is I can play TWO videos simultaneously.

I can do this with MoboPlayer's mini-player. Then I open QuickPic app which has its own video player or even the default app, and both videos can play at the same time in landscape or portrait.

I played Gotye's "Somebody I Used To Know" along with the Star Wars parody of it perfectly synced. Hilarious! And I even used the same video with The Avengers (2012) with Iron Man vs Thor and Thor vs Hulk scene running at the same time. One scene was played by the MoboPlayer's mini-player and the other by either QuickPic video player or the default HTC video player.

It doesn't work on my single core Nexus One and Samsung Galaxy Tab or dual core Lenovo A516. The Moboplayer app will work but the QuickPic app will force close or just have a black screen with sometimes sound in the background. Only my quad core HTC One can do it but you might see a bit of slowdown with the UI if MoboPlayer's mini-player is running in the background esp if videos are in 720p or 1080p. And it kills battery twice as fast like if you were playing a graphic intensive game. But that QUAD core is being tested. Not sure if any dual core iPhone jailbroken can do that. Run two videos at the same time.

If you like to tighten the screws or just a settings/customization geek, Android might be the last OS you will end up getting bored of. With Android, you can tighten the screws to your liking. With Apple, they generally do all the screwing... No pun intended. Bolted on there whether we like it or not.

penplotter

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Granted I've had my Nexus 4 for only 1 year and a bit, I've grown bored of it and am looking at a Lumia or back to the iPhone. Nothing wrong at all with Android, I rather enjoyed but I just want something different. Rather confused:confused:

Nope, but I'm getting bored of bran flakes if it helps :(

It's a mobile phone; ask it to dance if it's boring you. It's not a movie, it's a tool to execute tasks.

penplotter

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014

It's awesome.

"Stuff" = gimmicks which soon get boring, and have no substantial application. The chocolate bars of the tech world - fast gratification, little, or NO lasting use.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
The boredom probably has to do with smartphones in general. A few years ago, we bought our first touch smartphones and it was a new world to discover. Every week there was a new app that astonished us and got us hooked for more. Well it's been seven years now since the first iPhone was released and the technology can't stay mind blowing forever.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
iPhones are easy to get bored with, I can't say for android as i only swapped 3 days ago, I have just realised if you have a iPad a iPhone is a waste of money, there is better/cheaper options for a phone. Bought a Moto G thinking it would be a second phone for private use. Was so impressed by it wacked both my buss and private sims in, stuck the 5S 64GB on Gumtree (Aussie version of craiglist) and 6 hours later had $800 in my hand. New surfboard on the way:)

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
iPhones are easy to get bored with, I can't say for android as i only swapped 3 days ago, I have just realised if you have a iPad a iPhone is a waste of money, there is better/cheaper options for a phone. Bought a Moto G thinking it would be a second phone for private use. Was so impressed by it wacked both my buss and private sims in, stuck the 5S 64GB on Gumtree (Aussie version of craiglist) and 6 hours later had $800 in my hand. New surfboard on the way:)
You guys don't have trade me? Us NZers do.

penplotter

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014

I was given TWO Moto G's - 8Gb and 16Gb, and they're great. I'm currently selling them both, as saving up for a Mac mini :)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Haha! Nice change of the thread title.

;-)

I'm enjoying my smartphone more now after downloading an app called Pocket (previously known as Read It Later). It can be found for both iOS and Android.

I don't always have an internet connection and much easier than Opera Mini saving the website for me. Great for offline reading articles and Wikipedia. Just turn off background syncing to save battery.

I generally can enjoy BOTH iOS and Android but I tend to lean towards the latter for the cool system settings/customizations and better at multi-tasking. I'm a tinkerer and I still haven't been as bored with UNROOTED Android as quickly as stock iOS. I never had to root because I generally can find all the things I need from an unrooted phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.