Anyone getting the Galaxy S2.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by film major, Sep 15, 2011.

1. film major macrumors member

this weekend cause they can't wait for the iPhone5? I am waiting till at least the new iPhone announcement but the Galaxy is very tempting.

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

It would take WAY more than a delay for me to abandon Apple at this point. And not because I'm a fanboy, but I've got way too much invested in the Apple ecosystem. 6,000+ songs, all in ALAC or AAC format, 500 movies in iTunes, two Apple TVs that I find useful to control from my iPhone, and 5 total iPhone/pad/pods that can all share apps.

If I take one of those and replace them with a non-Apple product and can't use (either at all, or at least easily) all that media and content, I just cut the denominator in the equation I use to justify all the cost associated with those purchases.

3. aohus, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

i'd wait and get the samsung nexus prime.

rumor has it that it will be available for all carriers in the u.s, but Verizon will get exclusive first dibs on the device, with the rest of the carriers getting it later in the year.

this particular android phone is different from others because Google will have direct control over the device. There will be no bloatware, no added carrier crap. Just vanilla Android with Google's full backing. This device would be the first to get any kind of OS update from Google compared to other Android phones.

- Latest rumor has it that it will be a curved screen, a little bit taller than the Nexus S, and a little bit thicker as well

- Will have a metal finish, not the usual plasticky cheap feeling of Samsung's past phones

- Will have one home button, two volume buttons, and a power button. Thats all.

- Unofficial rendering of the Nexus Prime (fan made, a guess as to what it will look like)
    [​IMG]

I'd also check out HTC's flagship device that will be unveiled September 20, and released on October 6.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Ramio, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Thought about it for a second but decided HELL no. An android phone comes out every 30 seconds and in one month Samsung will come out with another android and the s2 will become obsolete. At least with the iphone, I have a whole year before the next one comes out which helps the phone keep a high resale value. I bet you the s2 will become half price in 3 months. Just look at the Galaxy S and the iphone 4. They both came out close to each other and the iphone 4 now sells for about $450 whereas the galaxy s can be found for $100. Also, I prefer ios over android any day. Can't wait for the new iPhone!!!

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

6. OMGwtfBBQwings macrumors regular

4.65 inch screen? now that is too much imo.

the white Galaxy S2 looks awfully like the white iphone 5 "prototypes", maybe there is something behind the lawsuits between samsuing and apple.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Stopped in ATT store last night to ask if they knew anything about when it's gonna be available and they didn't know. I asked how long in advance do they normally know details before they actually get the phone, and they said "about a month".

I've been thinking about jumping to it...but it really doesn't seem like a good idea at this point...at least nit before knowing the real details about the iP5. It's already a 6 month old phone and still no firm details on the release from ATT. Now, if you're talking about getting it w/Sprint...that's a whole other set of issues.

8. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I have an Atrix that I'm very happy with but if I was to buy another phone it would probably be a Nexus device.

9. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

The nexus prime is going to be a Verizon exclusive. This is why Verizon did not want the galaxy s2, they wanted the prime which is a beefed up version of the s2 with android ICS

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought a Galaxy S 4G and have had issue since the beginning. Now it won't even register on the network (tmobile). There is now ay that I would be an S2 (or any other Samsung product at this point - my new refrigerator is also causing problems and I had a Samsung Blu-Ray player that was absolute junk).

11. aohus macrumors 68000

this is a very old school way of thinking. as long as the phone keeps the bezel at a minimum it won't be much of an issue. hell, i could even see myself using the Galaxy Note, and thats 5.29 inches!

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Doubtful

13. aohus macrumors 68000

actually, according to latest rumors, he's right.

Ice Cream Sandwich will be a Verizon exclusive, maybe for about a month, and then the rest of the carriers will get a Nexus Prime-like device later in the year.

14. oshia86, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

oshia86 macrumors regular

I've tossed the idea around. I keep telling myself "If there is no confirmation on the next iPhone soon, I'll get the S2". I've had every iPhone but the 4, and hope that doesn't change. I've had my 3gs since the week of launch, and it is on its last leg. I can only hold out for so long, and the S2 does do everything I want/need.

I don't know if I could actually bring myself to do it. Well see.

15. naths macrumors 6502

i'v had a GS2 in the UK for a few months now,went from the iphone4,its been posted a 1000 times before but the SGS2 is a better phone,i think the iPhone5 will equal the SGS2,but then the Nexus prime will beat both of those 2,and then jan/feb samsungs quad core phones will beat that hands down...one thing for sure is,if apple arnt careful their cycle of releases is going to leave them behind,i mean the next iPhone will match specs that are already on their way out!!!!...nexus prime for me..:)

16. aohus macrumors 68000

you're not Apple's demographic then.

17. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Not getting it no. The only android phones id touch is the Nexus line. But i dont see myself going back to android.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

A Mac user that's looking at Android versus the iPhone must not care about their data that much.

Save for one scenario. If you're a total Google Honk then Android is cool because you're already surrendering your personal data for data mining and what's yet another device to add to the fun.

For those that are part of the Apple ecosystem and have Macs with corollary iPhone apps the sync features if iCloud and cloud backup are too strong to get wooed by Android IMO

19. aztooh macrumors 6502a

What you just said and what he said are different things. I'd say it's possible they have short lived exclusivity, but the other poster didn't qualify it..just said "verizon exclusive". Being only on Verizon just doesn't make any sense.

To tie this into the OP, I'd say wait for the Prime and iP5 to show themselves. And as I mentioned in my other post, it's not even available on ATT yet...are you planning on going to Sprint?

20. oshia86 macrumors regular

Ya, because that isn't biased at all.

The S2 is rumored to debut on the 18th with AT&T.

21. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I was interested in the Galaxy S II, but it's taken so long to reach the United States that I'll probably wait for a Nexus phone, whenever that might come out.

Of course if there's any truth in those leaked iPhone 5 cases I might buy that instead.

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Of course i'm biased...that's why i'm on MacRumors.com.

The iPhone is good on it's own irrespective of OS but it becomes GREAT when you have a Mac and actually leverage the native tools.

iCloud sync > Web sync

23. film major thread starter macrumors member

I keep hearing that it will be available on AT&T very soon. I would guess next weekend? Some people were even pointing to this Sunday online but I find that hard to believe.

As for waiting for the Nexus Prime. I feel like you can just keep waiting for the next best thing and never end up buying a phone. Something is always going to come out in a few months and be better. Engaget says the Galaxy is the best phone on the market so I am tempted.

24. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Was rumored to be, but is not going to be. Gladly admit that what I've been told is wrong if it does, but I don't see it being available Sunday.

25. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's been out in Australia for a little while, I got one around a month ago. Not because I didn't like my iPhone 4 - but more because the S II just does what I want at the moment, which is the reason I buy any kind of product. Love the S II and the iPhone 4 equally, now all Apple has to do to get my love back would be to give the next iPhone a bigger screen (and maybe add in widgets to the next version of iOS).