Anyone give a presentation using iPad yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nasa25, Apr 17, 2010.

1. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Just wondering if anyone has presented using keynote on iPad, coupled with the VGA connector of course. How did you find it?

The lack of presenter view is such a major fail in my opinion. It almost defeats the purpose of using keynote on iPad in the first place. Wouldn't apple think "ok, they are creating presentations in keynote. They might want to, you know, actually present the slides at some point. And when they are presenting, they might want to actually see the slides that they are presenting, you know, on the iPad"

Steve Jobs : get the hell out! Wouldn't they rather see a black screen while presenting? Yeah, let's go with the black screen boys.

2. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

Really? No one has given one single presentation? Odd.

3. iBallz macrumors 6502

iBallz

There was several discussions about that last night at the apple store. I'll be watching here, hopefully someone has.

4. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

Were people quite upset about the whole no presenter view mode?

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

If Keynote for iPad was so great, Steve would have given the iPad keynote from it and said he made the whole thing on iPad, rather than a Mac.

6. RunOverProducti macrumors regular

By what I've been reading in forums, I don't think there's a whole lot of people using for work, mainly pleasure.

I wish they had iWeb, I would use it for business, I would be able to keep my website and blog up to date, I have the iPad and I still rely on the iMac to get REAL work done.

Hopefully it will change.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

The ipad as a business device is a joke since iwork is so il-equipped. I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet either.

8. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I haven't, partly because of the lack of Presenter view, partly because you can't use a remote with it. I'm a "walker/waver"--can't plant myself behind a podium...gotta walk around, talk with my hands, etc. Notes aren't that big a deal, since my presentations are typically committed to memory, but there are a few sessions that include updated facts and figures best read from the notes.

I've been setting up my MBP next to the projector, then using the Keynote Remote app on my iPod Touch. Includes the notes, plus gives me a much longer range (recently spoke in a venue where the projector was 200+ feet away from the stage, beyond what my Keyspan remote could tackle).

Downside: No timer, plus still need to haul the MBP around. Bummer.

In a perfect world, Keynote on the iPad would include notes, timer, and the ability to function with a remote. That would work for both the podium folks and us walker/wavers...and mean a whole lot less hardware needed to be toted around.

9. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the insight. I guess the general consensus is that keynote is not ready for the prime time yet.

10. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

"Yet" being the correct term. Apple's pretty good about evolving into what the user needs, with time. Given the fact the iPad's only been out a few weeks, we're still pretty early on in the curve.

Ahh, the downside of early adoption. ;)

11. Maximillian macrumors 6502

I haven't used keynote to present, but I use my iPad to show videos I'm editing to the people who need to approve 'em. I just push 'em onto my iPad, then walk around the office until I find the people, show 'em, get verbal approval, and go on my merry way.

It's so much more convienant than lugging a laptop around or waiting for people to get back to their desks.

12. wgary macrumors member

Yes, did my lecture Thursday night after buying it at 4 pm. It worked fine for me. Took a while to figure out how to transfer the file--I ended up using iWork. Note that you have to go to iWork.com in Safari to download the file. Then there were some conversion issues, this coming from Keynote on the Mac. I thought that was odd.

After that everything went well. Animations were great. I'm sure they'll make improvements. The thumbnail previews during in presentation mode are tiny. A timer would be nice. But comparing to setting up a laptop, connecting etc., this was a piece of cake. This has become my new presentation platform. No doubt.

13. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the input. Don't you find the thumbnails basically unreadable? The only options right now consist of committing your slides to memory or looking back at the big screen as you present.

14. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

My boss gave his last company meeting with keynote via VGA adapter. Went nice and smooth with a couple "ooooo" and " aaaahhh" during the transitions.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Steve Jobs has been using an iPad or iPad like device for a decade now giving presentations that was connected to the projector this whole time!!

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I have a presentation tomorrow, I have the adapter and will let you know how it goes.

17. MrMorden macrumors member

MrMorden

I gave a presentation last week to a small group (about 10 people), sitting on a chair with the ipad on my lap, connected to a projector via the VGA adapter. I thought it was great. Everyone seemed surprised at the "laser pointer" effect (since I had no laser pointer in my hand), althought it took a while for me to figure out how to use it propery.

I usually do simple presentations, and I think that is why I found no conversion issues between iwork on the mac and on the ipad. I have some presentations with video, and they look fine, though.

I think that for a conference before a large group, it would be weird to use the ipad. I prefer to use a remote to pass the slides and point, and currently you can't do that with an ipad.

18. nasa25 thread starter macrumors 65816

How did you deal with the lack of presenter view?

19. MrMorden macrumors member

MrMorden

Well I am actually not used to presenter view... when I use a remote, I'm usually not looking at the computer, so it doesn't really make a difference to me.

I guess it dependes on what you need. For me, for small presentations, the ipad is wonderful.

20. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I pitched a potential web design client (a fairly large audience; I was presenting to members from three different community groups who were collaborating on the site) using Keynote on an iPad hooked up to a projector early last week.

The presentation went very smoothly, and they were really "wowed" by the iPad. I don't run Keynote presentations very often, so I had no problem with the lack of Presenter view... all in all, I was quite happy presenting from the device.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I tried. The projector for some reason didn't get along with the iPad. Keynote refused to shown on the projector. But works fine on the LCD monitor in my office, so go figure.

22. Kibbe17 macrumors member

I thought this EXACT same thing. Couldn't have said it better. That would have truly been a major selling point for apple if they had actually created their presentation with the product they're trying to sell us.

23. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

In fairness to Steve not using the iPad..

I've often wondered what resolution the Muscone Center screen has. It's the size of the side of a building. I figure it must be at least 1080p (2million pixels) so running it at 786k pixels instead would have looked pretty rough, in that context.

I'm probably one of the few who wish the iPad could run higher resolution displays.

24. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I can't speak to that room, but most projectors designed for large venues don't necessarily show more pixels – they are just brighter and project larger, but still project at XGA. If I was going higher resolution I would use an array of projectors and blend them...

Back on topic, without the ability to show my keynote documents as I formatted them (i.e. using my fonts) and a presenter's display I have little use for keynote on my iPad... Its a shame, as I do a lot of presentations around the world and would love a system smaller than my macbook Air.

25. wgary macrumors member

Agreed. I'm hopeful this will be addressed in the next version. Still, I like not having to lug the laptop. It's "usable" for version 0.9.