iPad Anyone go case-free with their iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HarryWarden, Feb 26, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine just bought a padded envelope from the local dollar store as his "case" when transporting it and goes case-free when using it. I'm tempted because of how expensive cases are and wondering if others do it without incident.

2. kristalsoldier, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I thought about it...even went the first week without a case (but not a Smart Cover), but lost my nerve. I then bought a soft rubbery case (expensive!). I now feel more at ease!

But "soft rubbery case", I mean a back cover only. And, because I am lazy and impatient, I bought it from the Apple Store near my house, which is why it was expensive. It does add some weight, but not much - much lighter than the Speck hard plastic transparent case I had for my iPad 4.

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

I thought about it as well..but I really like the ottorbox case!

4. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

I've used my iPad (1. gen) caseless for 2 years, ditto with the 3. gen iPad I've had since release. Both had a normal flip cover on, though.

Picked up an Air a few weeks ago, caseless too. None of the two older iPads have gotten as much as a scratch.

5. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Did you travel with your iPads?

6. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

problem is not the weight but the size of it.

U could accidentally hit the edge of the door or some wall if you not careful enough.

7. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I could never go completely case free. I do however like going minimal with my iphone and ipad. They really are such fantastic and incredibly designed pieces of hardware. I don't wanna f$&k that up.

I go Smart Cover, so I can take it off when I want easily and put it on while I walk around office, home, wherever or for typing. I put it in to a neoprene sleeve when carrying it in a bag. Just enough coverage for me, but easy and quick enough to go "naked".

8. Mikekan macrumors regular

I do, too gorgeous to hide away. I also travel abroad using just a sleeve. Not even a single mark since 1st of November.

9. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

I never use any ugly cover or case (including smart covers) for my iPad Air (or iPhone).

I just hate the fact that they cover the beauty of my product which is a big part of enjoying these products.

they also add bulk and extra weight to the iPad / iPhone.

however I use one of these cheap but effective padded zip sleeve cases from ebay when I want to take the iPad somewhere in my bag,just to protect it while it's inside my bag with all other stuff.

buttom line is,these products are made to be used and enjoyed.you don't want to hide them in some ugly material for the next owner! nor you are going to keep them all your life.

10. Brittany246, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014

Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I've only used a sleeve from day one. I've bumped it a few times on the edge of tables, and it still has no blemishes. I didn't even consider a case because it becomes too bulky, and all I want is to protect the screen, open port, and camera when I take it out the house.

11. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

I tried going case free with my new mini retina and did it for a couple weeks but it was just too slippery to hold while reading. Also, living in the northeast, the thing can feel like an ice cube. So i put this on it:

[​IMG]

12. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

Yes. I've carried it around in multiple bags, allways with the bare back of the iPad to a notepad or similar.

13. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

My iPad Air stays in the house 99% of the time and only has a smart cover. I've done that with every gen of iPad I've had, and to date no disasterous drops.

14. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

You can find good quality Air cases on Amazon for under $10. So how is that expensive? ;)

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

As I tend to use the iPad on the go a lot and can be somewhat accident prone, I always have mine in a slim, lightweight, portfolio style case. The iPad's just too slippery to hold without it.

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I use an Otterbox. And when I carry it in a book bag, I place the Otterbox inside a padded incase sleeve for extra protection.

18. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I went case-less (well, with a smart cover, but I don't consider that a case) with an iPad 2 a while back. Accidentally dropped it and dented one corner. Still completely usable, obviously, but I hated that it got dented. Have never gone case-less since.

19. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I am still strongly considering it. I am a case-lover, as a rule, but I can't get over how much I love the Naked iPad Air. I purchased the Incipio Watson case, but at 13oz it is HEAVY. The case does have a detachable back cover that only weighs 3.7oz, but I don't know. I have a beautiful Timbuk2 plush sleeve that is light, but very padded; I am strongly considering going back to that and leaving the iPad with only a screen protector. I would like some sort of scratch protection for the back, though, so I'm torn.

20. w00tini macrumors 6502a

I have always gone naked with all of my iDevices. scratches don't bother me and I always resell just fine when it's time to upgrade.

21. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

My mother does, carpeted house, leather entertainment/coffee table thing, wooden tables. There's not much that would significantly hurt.

I have stone and hardwood floors, and a mix of wood and glass tables. The sound naked iPad and Glass tables make are the worst.

22. jraske macrumors newbie

I use an Air without a case. A few weeks ago I was making the bed, and I pulled on the comforter, sending the Air flying through the air. It landed on a corner and cracked the glass.

Oh well. I purchased AppleCare+ and later that day had a new iPad Air for $49.

Now, I do have a Smart Cover, and a Vaja sleeve (back from when Vaja still made non-gaudy products). I do carry the Air in the sleeve when traveling, and put the Smart Cover on when I charge the Air, or it's not in use.

But otherwise, I use the Air as God intended: naked. It's too beautiful a device to entomb it in garish plastic, or even worse, a ridiculous BookBook.

The thing that does drive me nutty though are the chamfered edges . . . They get dinged much too easily, and because of this alone I am sympathetic with someone putting a case on their iPad. I still won't use a case, but I understand why.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

God intended the Air to be used naked? It is more so a matter of preference, and that is all.

As nice as I think Apple products look, they are not works of art. They are expensive tools that I enjoy using. I can't see my iPad Air as it is inside an Otterbox case. And even though I can't see it, I haven't forgotten what it looks like without the case. The appearance of the iPad, as nice as it is, is not what holds my attention. It is how well it fits my needs as a lone product, as well as part of my Apple ecosystem.

24. MacDude21 macrumors regular