Anyone going from an iPhone 6 to iPhone 6S Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikos, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

When the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were released, I was conflicted on which to purchase. I ultimately decided to go with the iPhone 6. I don't regret it, but I've always wondered what it would be like to own an iPhone 6 Plus. I've liked its size when checking out a friend's, or store model, but I'm not sure what it would be like as a daily driver.

I've upgraded my iPhone every year since the first. This year, I'm considering going with the 6S Plus. My only concerns are that it will be too large for some of my pockets or too unwieldy to use the way I'm used to using my iPhone.

Another concern is getting used to such a large screen. I'm afraid if I get used to it, I won't be able to go back to a smaller screen. I know I'll like the larger screen, but if I end up not liking having such a large phone in general, I will have to downgrade. Alternatively, if the iPhone 7 isn't offered in the same size, I'll have to get used to a smaller screen again, which will be tough since the iPhone 5 seems tiny to me now.

Anyway, is anyone else thinking about upgrading to the 6S Plus from a 6? What's your take on it?

2. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    I went from 5S to 6+
    The size is excellent when in use, however I sometimes wonder if it’s too big for my pockets, sitting down with certain trousers isn’t comfortable, and leaving your phone on a table is rude in my opinion, maybe the normal 6 is the same in certain pockets????, my wife and Mother have normal 6, and side by side I don’t really see much difference, I think you need to use both hands when using both, some function work with one hand, but you need to use 2 hands for the full experience.

I think the 6+ is better for the ladies as they can carry it in a purse, so I may swap with the wife at some point

I’d recommend the 6S+ for you if you can afford it, but it’s completely up to you

3. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Since I have fairly large hands and I never use my phone one handed anyways, I'm not sure that size will be a problem in that regard, but I feel like its going to be a bit of a privacy issue. Not that I have anything to hide, but I don't like the idea that anyone standing behind me can clearly see my conversations or whatever I'm doing on my phone. Regardless, I think I'm going to pre order the 6s+ and hope for the best.

4. wongster macrumors regular

i'm going to go from the 6 to 6S+. i don't regret getting the 6 in the beginning as i thought it would be the perfect switch from a 5 to the 6. now i feel that the 6 is a little small and the right size would be a +. i was looking on craigslist a couple months back to see if anyone wants to trade my 6 for their + but people wanted too much money and i could wait for the 6S+.

5. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

I had a 5S and went to a launch day 6+.

I loved it, but couldn't get on with it. :(

In hindsight, I think it was due to 2 things:

1) The lack of decent cases at launch time. I had a Spigen Tough Armor on my 5 & 5S and got one for my 6+, but boy was it hard to handle!

2) I think the jump from a 5S to a 6+ in a chunky case was just too much for me.

I returned it on day 13 and got a 6.

What I will say, is that come the release of the 6S+, I'm planning to go back to it! :D

I now use a system called Quadlock, which is a fairly slim case with a moulded connector on the rear that can be clipped in to their other products.

I have an armband that I use for walking the dog, running etc, a connector on my bike and windscreen mount in both of our cars.

I'm fairly confident that the 6s+ in a Quadlock case will be easier to manage than the 6+ in the Spigen I had and the fact that I'm moving from a 6 after using it for a year, should make things much easier.

7. ardeecee macrumors newbie

Same position for me, I resisted the jump from 5S to 6+ last time as I felt the jump would be too big in size and was really pleased with the 6.

The 6 now feels normal (if not a tad small, sometimes wish I had more screen to work with) so reckon I am ready to try the 6+.

The battery life is a biggie for me too, plus whatever other upgrades that might set it apart from the 6S.

Worst case scenario is buy it, try it for a few days and find you don't get on with and return for a 6S. I think trying it in he real world will be necessary to really decide if it is for you or not.

8. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Not me and wow 6S Plus. What a horrible name.

9. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

It really won't make a difference in your pocket, I've had the 6+ since launch never regretted it, fits in all my pockets fine. Took about 2 days of getting used to the size now I'm settled with it.

My other half has the 6 and its a good size phone but every now and again when I hold it, it seems to feel small but I think its just my eyes playing tricks on me

10. lewanchris macrumors newbie

Iv course they will make the iphone 7 in phablet size. Apple have done so well with the 6plus range they will always have a phablet size phone

I personally love my iphone 6plus, you get used to the bigger screen very quickly and would def recommend it

11. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I don't know, I'm really tempted by the Plus for the battery life and OIS but I really like the 4.7 size in my hands and my pocket.
    I'll make up my mind next week after the event. If they add more exclusive features (maybe multitasking) to the Plus I could go for that, otherwise I'll stick with the 4.7 model

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Are there still rumors of a smaller 6c? I have a 6 now and would actually go the other directions in regards to size if offered.

13. thebeachballer macrumors newbie

thebeachballer

I'm going the other way - 6 Plus to 6s. I do like the increased screen estate and the battery is immense, but it went from being too big, to feeling normal and back to too big again. It is unwieldy, but I can see why many are drawn to it.

Get your hands on one for a bit, if poss.

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

Hopefully the 6S Plus fixes performance issues with the 6 Plus. Lots of stuttering and dropped frames.

15. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

I'm moving from the 6 to the 6s plus. I also use the Galaxy s6 edge+ and have learned I prefer the larger phones.

My wife on the other hand is still praying daily that Apple will release a smaller 4" version because she likes her phone small. Everyone has their own preferences.

16. posguy99 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't upgrade otherwise, I'm a 2-years-phone kind of person, but I want the bigger phone this time. Using GoodReader to view PDF's on job sites means I take my Mini *and* the phone, why not just take the phone?

17. mccjim12 macrumors member

I'm really leaning towards it. I honestly was never a fan of huge phones (I can't stand the huge Android ones. Just so awkward and gaudy). But the + has grown on me for some reason. I've Omar's with several in the Apple Store over the last year and I think I might like it. At the very least I'm going to go with silver as I've had a Space Grey 6 and iPad Air. Love the SG but just want a change. Can't wait!

18. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

No. I have a 4S and I'm not even going to 6. Most likely 5S or wait for a redesign for the 7. Why should I get a 6S+? I already own a tablet. It's too big for a phone. And while most people here probably won't agree, I'm almost certain Steve Jobs would agree that the phone is way too big.

It's basically a forced product to compete with Samsung Galaxy lines. I doubt that even Jony Ive himself wanted a phone that big. The design jump is too large to be ignored.

19. Davewithak macrumors regular

I have a 16GB 6, plan on upgrading to 64GB 6+.

20. iAppleDroid macrumors newbie

iAppleDroid

Never liked the 6+, feels too big and even with a case, I'd be worried about dropping it and cracking at least one part of the screen. And I gotta agree, it does feel like a forced product to compete with the Galaxy Note series...not very Apple-style if you ask me, in fact I don't even think Jobs would of allowed the 6+ to ever happen (and in his world also, I'm assuming the 6 would of been 4.2-4.5'). In my mind, 4.5-5.2 is considered to be the perfect screen size for a phone, anything bigger feels obnoxious. I'm considering upgrading my iPhone 5 to the 6S with 64 GB, but I may just hold out this year and wait for the 7 next year instead.

21. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

I own a 6+ and although I love the extra screen real estate, every time I use a 6 I can't help but wish I had one. It feels so much better in the hand. I suppose it's all a personal preference thing though.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I'm planning on going the other way personally

23. Allin44 macrumors 6502

24. eric3312 macrumors 6502

My position as of right now, as well.
    No idea what color though.

25. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

When the 6 was released I got the 6 plus. I couldn't stand it. It was too big for me and wouldn't fit in my cargo pants. Luckily we have 4 lines in a grandfathered unlimited family plan and a couple of lines were eligible for 2 year subsidies. Our younger son wanted a plus for Christmas so I gave him my plus and got a 6 on a 2 year subsidy from his line. Haven't regretted it.