iPad Pro Anyone got 12.9 IPP planning on getting the 9.7?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smashie, Mar 29, 2016.

1. smashie macrumors regular

I currently have the 12.9" IPP and seriously considering getting the 9.7 to work along side. The larger model is great around the house and even carrying to and from work as a laptop replacement but feel that sometimes the size makes it a little clumsy to carry as a truly mobile tablet.

This is where I see the 9.7 coming in. It will be a little easier to use on public transport, move from quick meeting to meeting and generally make notes on the go. When i need the larger screen and not at home to use my iMac then the 12.9 comes into play again.

Am I mad for have two similar iOS devices or does anyone else plan this type of set up?

2. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

I think you're mad but I don't understand anyone having more than one iPad. But it's your money to spend and the more of these things that we buy, the more Apple is going to continue making them so go for it!

3. jamesrick80 Suspended

jamesrick80

Trust me if you have a 12.9 iPad pro like I do, you will still need a 9.7 or ipad mini for portable use cases....

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup. Me. I have a Mini 4 and a Pro 12.9" My 9.7 gets here Thursday. Sold my Air 2 about 3 months ago. One of them is getting sold. I don't need three iPads. I am thinking the Mini is in danger.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You can never have too many. :p

6. LasersGoPewPew macrumors regular

LasersGoPewPew

I'm in the same boat. I currently have a Mini 4 and 12.9 Pro right now. I had an Air 2 but sold it as well. Then I bought a 12.9 when it was on sale to try out while I wait for the 9.7 to arrive. One of them must go though, I can't just decide on which...

7. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I have a 12.9 iPP and a Mini 4 ... I'm tempted by the 9.7 iPP but absolutely love the combo I'm working with now ... At the office I use my 12.9 exclusively, and get all my work done there using all its tricks ... Split screen, handwriting notes, checklists via notes app, you name it ... Mini is my go to in the car, at a coffee shop, etc ... And at night, if I want a bedside movie, the 12.9 delivers better than anything. Tempted by 9.7, but just not justified ....

8. Alicia1 macrumors regular

I also have the mini 4 and the 12" iPP and I caved and ordered the 9.7. I don't know what I am going to do and keep going backwards and forth should I sell one or just keep all 3. Such a hard decision

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Do what I'm doing. Use the 9.7 for a few days, then decide. You can return the 9.7, sell the Mini or the 12.9", or keep them all. Depends on how things work out.

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I would, but I need also to save some money for a new GPU card later Thai year (some big monster card). Plus my iPad mini3 as companion iPad is doing a great job still. Plus iP6S. So right now not on the list (but I was seriously contemplating on it).

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I can see that. I currently have 4 devices across the spectrum:
    • Sharp Aquos Crystal Android smartphone
    • iPad Air 2
    • 11" MBA
    • iMac
    I'm currently trying to replace the Air 2 and MBA with the 12.9 iPP. Workflow-wise, I think I can do it (RDP into the iMac when I need OSX) but it is a bit large for the more mobile settings. So what I'm thinking is that maybe swapping out the Android phone and going back to an iPhone could help. It might look more like this:
    • iPhone 6
    • 12.9 iPP
    • iMac

12. Wackery macrumors 6502a

Hai, dont you love autocorrect?

13. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

You got me ... That spell shredder is really awful recently ...

14. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I have the 12.9" but would like to have the 9.7" more portable, BUT luck of support USB 3, ram 2gb, reduce X9, reduce video, keep me away

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have had the 12.9 iPP from introduction day, it replaced a Air 2 for cruising the Internet in the Lazyboy. My other Air 2 is going to be replaced tomorrow by the 9.7 iPP for us in the field.

16. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I'll probably be going from the 12.9'' to no iPad at all lol. But the smaller 9.7" is not very appealing to me because it doesn't do the things I did with my 12.9" quite as good.

Like drawing with Pencil: who wants to do that on an even smaller screen? Multitasking, typing and basic viewing of content is much nicer on the bigger screen.

I have the same philosophy for my MacBook and iPhone: bigger is better (as long as it's reasonably comfortable to hold and carry which is a personal thing).

17. auero macrumors 65816

I'm at the end of my return window and I've decided to keep my 12.9-inch model. I got a great price on it and I can't imagine going back to a smaller screen. I was never a fan of multitasking on the 9.7-inch model because everything seemed small.

I can completely understand the desire to switch, but there the trade offs aren't worth it to my uses. I don't care if and what camera it has, nor do I care about True Tone. Those that aren't satisfied with the size or seek those features should exchange.

18. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I've plaid around with the 12.9 a bunch at the Apple Store, and while that massive touch screen is so insane, it's just too big for me - 9.7 is my perfect size.

19. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Right now I've got the 12.9" IPP, the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Mini 2. I rarely use the Mini 2 any more, since I got the iPhone 6 Plus last year and replaced that with the iPhone 6 s Plus back in September. I'm keeping it, though, as I wouldn't get much for selling it. The iPad Air 2 has always been my favorite, even with the entry of the new 12.9" IPP into the household. However, the Air 2 is starting to show its age a little in that the battery doesn't give me as many hours as it used to do. Tomorrow I'll probably be heading off to the Apple store to check out the new 9.7" IPP and bring one home if they've got the color and capacity I want. Once the new device is all set up and settled in then I'll sell the iPad Air 2.

20. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I kept my ipad air and using the big one as well. But once you go big its tough to go back to a small screen.

21. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

I keep a spare in the throne room. Don't need to hunt for one in times of distress :D

22. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I've had the 12.9" since launch day and am eagerly awaiting the 9.7" delivery tomorrow. I found that even though I *love* the huge screen of the big Pro, I was still taking my original Air to the gym to read on the treadmill, using the Air to read while I get ready for work, reading on the couch/bed, etc.

I even had to get a big laptop-sized daily carry bag when I got the 12.9" to go to/from work every day. Looking forward to going back to a smaller size again for "daily carry" without the compromise of not being able to draw with Apple Pencil, etc.

I think if you're into using the Pencil for graphic design, UI/UX, painting, etc -- it's reasonable to own both. I'll continue to use the 12.9" daily for DuetDisplay and AstroPad painting at home, but I'll be THRILLED to have a 9.7" to carry around again that's smaller and lighter but still fully capable.

23. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

Ha ha I just created a thread on this. Should have searched I guess. I'd rather have the 9.7 than my 12

24. magbarn macrumors 68000

I'd get an Air 2 at a big discount for your smaller 2nd device. Unless you need the pencil...
    I'm keeping my Air 2 for this purpose