Anyone have any "I dropped my Macbook" stories?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoodyMedStudent, Mar 26, 2011.

1. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

I just managed to drop my air at about 1 foot onto marble floor. No damage as far as I can notice but it sort of slid out of my bag and hit the ground at a wide angle.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

dropped my first MBP quite a few times but nothing ever happened except for a few scratches.
    now i just accidentally sat on my iphone 4 which made a loud crack, but no visible damage :p

3. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Dropped my 2010 MPB from about 2 feet once, noting happened only a small scratch on one of the corners:)

4. Tarlach macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro fell 4 ft

I was traveling, put my bag with 15" MacBook Pro in a rental locker. When I opened the locker bag fell 4 ft to a concrete floor. The bag landed on the front edge on one corner. I hurriedly opened the bag expecting to see a shattered screen. The screen was okay but the computer had a nasty dent. I immediately tried to boot it but no go.

I was bummed and in a hurry to get to the airport so just shoved it back into the bag and headed to the airport. When I arrived home I tried to boot again, to my great surprise it booted and has beebread running fine since. With that dent it looks like a road warrior but keeps on ticking try that with a plastic PC.

5. Russell L macrumors regular

Russell L

My then-brand-new 2008 15" MBP (non-unibody) slipped out of my backpack (forgot to fully zip it :eek:) and fell to the sidewalk with a loud thud. Needless to say, I was horrified, but except for the optical drive no longer being able to read discs, there were absolutely no consequences, other than some scuff marks on the underside of the case. Good job, Apple!!!

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

search with Mroogle ... dropped Apple product threads get started everyday. :cool:

7. solaris7 macrumors regular

Yea, where is the guy who posts all the links for past threads dealing with EXACTLY THE SAME topic?

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

A couple of days ago, I actually dropped a heavy speaker on my white unibody MacBook. It dented the bottom of the machine, and destroyed the superdrive. Other than that, it is just fine.

9. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Dreading having to do the same thing again...

Have had short drops while it was on... thankfully, no damage!

10. Yellow 13 macrumors member

big dent: right left (from user view) and dent on upper right screen case (user PV) on my MB aluminum, but hardware=100% new :)

11. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    never dropped my mbp- it's securely fixed on my just-mobil xstand

as for my iphone 4 - few knocks, looks pretty good

finally, my trusty old iphone 3GS - a true trooper - survived knocks, drops down stairs, my parent's kittens

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I bet GGJs would be happy to know that his services are now being requested by the masses. :D

13. HBOC macrumors 68020

I had my MBP in a LowePro Fastpack 350 and forgot to zip up the laptop compartment, and when I was walking it slid out onto the street from about 3 feet or so. Dented up the side of my MBP and the rear LCD case was jacked up. Lucky enough, I found a new rear LCD case on eBay for like $40 and then Apple ended up replacing the lower case and the screen (un-related, documented pre-existing problems) and then 2 months later I get a new Quad 2.2 as a replacement.

14. The49er macrumors newbie

Approximately 2 weeks after getting my Unibody macbook I was walking to class in the snow. I didn't have a proper case for it, so it was wrapped in 2 t-shirts, tucked away in the padded laptop pocket in my backpack. Two steps into a crosswalk, and an act of gravity later all 170lbs of me fell on my back. The only damage done to the computer was a scrape on the front corner where it managed to cut through both tshirts and a padded backpack. It made me sick. But, other than topical blemishes, the thing works perfect! If it were my previous Acer in my backpack, it would have been obliterated!

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OK, since you asked!

Sort of dropped my MBP
    New Member-dropped my macbook
    Help URGENT- dropped laptop
    Dropped my 2006 MacBook :(
    dropped my macbook pro..
    Dropped MacBook, charger port tilting inwards.
    mb pro c2d has a trackpad issue after being dropped
    Dropped old 2009 Macbook Pro. Can you guess the damage?
    Macbook dropped, weird Bootcamp/HD situation
    HELP! dropped macbook
    Help: dropped macbook, but not sure how serious the problem is..
    Dropped MacBook...Now veeeeeery slow.
    Macbook Pro dropped 3-4 months ago, but Macbook Pro is still working like a champ
    Dropped my macbook! What to do now?
    dropped my MacBook Pro
    I dropped my Macbook white 13"not working but stays in gray screen.
    Dropped macbook battery problems with new battery
    Trouble shoot a dropped MacBook
    dropped MBP but only slightly damaged.
    Dropped my Macbook Pro, dead pixels??
    Dropped MacbookPro, fan now not working..
    Dropped Macbook Pro=Weird trackpad noise?
    OH NO... Dropped my Mac Book Pro 15 &
    Dropped MacBook... Optical Drive Makes Noise Now!
    mackbook pro was dropped
    Disaster! Air Dropped!
    Dropped MacBook: Flashing Folder with question mark
    My bro dropped his MacBook. Folder icon appearing on start up. Help?.
    Dropped Macbook... What's wrong?
    Macbook dropped and hinge bent
    dropped Macbook on floor
    Dropped Macbook Pro - Kinda
    Fixing a dropped macbook pro ?
    Macbook dropped, warranty?
    Dropped my macbook...
    My dad dropped my Macbook and it's NOT working right.

16. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

The superdrive on my 2008 MBP never worked correctly. Had the damn thing replaced 3 times in two years before I sold it, and it never consistently read any discs even after the replacement. So, it's not like you were missing much with the broken optical drive! ;)

17. Merzie macrumors member

dented the hell out of my macbook pro. Not a backpack friendly machine, even when "protected" in a "case." hooked back up about 3 feet on bed post. Failed. dented the corner upon drop.. cracked the glass....

REPLACED the whole unibody minus the display assembly and happened AGAIN.

Not all mbps are forgiving. I am looking to drop the components into a modbook pro service if it ever comes around. I'm sure their case will be more up to the demands an on-the-go college student can have.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Then I'll melt down the unibody and put it to better use.

18. X2468 macrumors regular

Sheesh, is that ALL?

I drop mine more times than that in a week.

Looks bad, but works OK :)

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, that's not all. That's just a sampling.

20. Yellow 13 macrumors member

from what i heard every iphone regardless of type will break/crack when 1x dropped

did you use rock as your protective cover?? lol

21. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

How long does it take you to compile these? lol. I'm jw :]

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Maybe 3-5 minutes, if starting from scratch.

23. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

My bf kicked it off his bed a fewnights ago. No damage done.
    Lucky for him.

24. Seanthesheep macrumors member

Dropped my MBA

I dropped my MBA (2010 version) today, it was sitting on my table and and as I left the table, I tripped over the MBA cable causing the MBA to follow me and ultimately fall onto the ground (Wooden floor).

I watched as it hit the ground and luckily enough it hit the floor on its base (rather than the side, which will cause it to dent). I quickly opened up the MBA and luckily there was nothing wrong with it and no dents. It looks and runs the exact same as it did before it fell :) I also had invisible shield on my MBA so that may of helped as well.

The good thing about MBA is that it is quite durable and in the event that it should fall onto the ground, it wont have the same impact that other laptops will. This is because the MBA is much lighter and so wont fall with as much force, secondly there are no spinning parts which tend not to be durable.

If you are a clumsy klutz like me and your MBA takes a dive, check for dents and any damage to the screen, as these are the parts that are mostly likely to be damaged if anything should get damaged.

25. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I dropped my last 17" Unibody on my ex girlfriends chihuahua's head by accident, the dog died but my MacBook Pro barely even dented. [I sold it afterwards because I was paranoid that the MBP would have bad karma attached to it] You've got to love a durable product though:p