Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Eddyisgreat said:
Yea, where is the guy who posts all the links for past threads dealing with EXACTLY THE SAME topic?

I bet GGJs would be happy to know that his services are now being requested by the masses. :D

^ This

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I dropped my last 17" Unibody on my ex girlfriends chihuahua's head by accident, the dog died but my MacBook Pro barely even dented. [I sold it afterwards because I was paranoid that the MBP would have bad karma attached to it] You've got to love a durable product though:p

Genuinely lol'd at this and immediately felt bad because I am a dog lover. But, chihuahua's are nearer to rats than dogs, which eased the guilt slightly.

Myrm

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
UK
M...but except for the optical drive no longer being able to read discs, there were absolutely no consequences, other than some scuff marks on the underside of the case. Good job, Apple!!!
Sure the fact that it can no longer read disks is a BIG consequence? :eek:

Trentolol

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Right here
I dropped my MBA (2010 version) today, it was sitting on my table and and as I left the table, I tripped over the MBA cable causing the MBA to follow me and ultimately fall onto the ground (Wooden floor).

I watched as it hit the ground and luckily enough it hit the floor on its base (rather than the side, which will cause it to dent). I quickly opened up the MBA and luckily there was nothing wrong with it and no dents. It looks and runs the exact same as it did before it fell :) I also had invisible shield on my MBA so that may of helped as well.

The good thing about MBA is that it is quite durable and in the event that it should fall onto the ground, it wont have the same impact that other laptops will. This is because the MBA is much lighter and so wont fall with as much force, secondly there are no spinning parts which tend not to be durable.

If you are a clumsy klutz like me and your MBA takes a dive, check for dents and any damage to the screen, as these are the parts that are mostly likely to be damaged if anything should get damaged.

The Megsafe didn't help? I have tripped over my cable many times, but the cord just pops right out! :)

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I dropped my last 17" Unibody on my ex girlfriends chihuahua's head by accident, the dog died but my MacBook Pro barely even dented. [I sold it afterwards because I was paranoid that the MBP would have bad karma attached to it] You've got to love a durable product though:p

Did your buyer know that you're passing over the bad karma (attached to that "cursed" MBP) to him/her? :confused: :eek: :p

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
I indirectly dropped my mac

My parents got me a laptop platform because it is not good to keep your laptop on the bed. Well, the thing is like a beanbag on the bottom and the laptop sometimes was/is sliding off and falls all the way to the floor. I'd say that's less than 2 feet but not by much. It has fallen a few times and nothing happened. I'd say a few times I put it JUST in the wrong place and it dropped to the floor. The floor is carpeted, btw.

I would never personally drop my macbook, but if I kept it off the platform, it would never drop, so you could say that I am dropping it...anyway.

Last time it dropped it was really bad. The trackpad got messed up. So I need to take it in, really. Now when I click on something, or try to scroll using click, drag with two fingers, it doesn't work or I have to slightly shift my finger position. Once I could not click at ALL no matter what (dead clicking) and I was insanely desperate, but I managed to fix it. Tap clicking saves my life.

Yes, my mac was fine the other times I dropped it, and this MAY be because it is over a year old or they did something when I took it in for a free genius repair issue, but I think it's one of those "if you take drugs in large doses, you'll die once" issues.

LOL, for anyone that cares, ignore the weird username. :rolleyes:

timotay89

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
I've dropped mine MBP multiple times...

The strap on the case broke and it feel a foot or two (in a slightly padded case) onto a flagstone walkway. There was a dent that wouldn't let the charger connect, but a hammer and the dent was gone. Still a bit of a dent there though.

My girlfriend dropped it off a couch onto a tile floor (it fell bottom down) while I was out. Coming back to "You're computer is fine, nothing's wrong with it, but I did drop it" was nice.

My girlfriend lost her balance once and sat on it (it was closed). It was a little curved then, but I just GENTLY bent it back. The disk drive opening got a little smaller, but again I fixed it. She wasn't so happy when I grabbed her arm and pulled her up and said "You sat on my laptop!" before asking her "Are you ok?" That was a fun thing to try and talk my way out of...

The screen was also bent back (again girlfriend) at least 30 degrees more than it should, but it went back. Bent something out to place so it made a scraping noise when the screen moved. Just hammered the piece out of the way and it was fixed.

This laptop has gone though a lot and still works (though i think some of that is that the laptop screen in this model (not unibody) is meant to give a bit more than the unibody one does). Still not complaining though.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
one time i was sleeping on the bus and idk what happened by my pro (in my backpack) went flying and hit hard the floor but it was fine (2 feet drop? it was a launched though).

another time my mom put a bunch of junk in my room because someone was coming over and she knocked down my computer table which is like 3 feet up? still worked fine, it sounded like though the glass shattered but nope everything was fine.

had to run with it in my backpack because it started raining from my walk from the bus station to my house.

Another time there was an accident on the freeway (fast lane) and I had to break hard and my computer (in backpack on passenger seat) went from the seat to the floor and smacked the glove box thingy.

the top case is a little miss aligned, but everything works perfectly. SH** is built tough like a true American device or American vehicle (damn straight). That pro and I have been through so much together, yet it still runs clean. In January it will be 3 years old. it has like 420 cycles on the battery? I plan to replace it in another 2-3 years, possibly longer. You can't replace quality like that.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
the top case is a little miss aligned, but everything works perfectly. SH** is built tough like a true American device or American vehicle (damn straight).

"true america device" that was made in china. and every american vehicle i've been in has been a pile; that's saying it nicely, very nicely.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
"true america device" that was made in china. and every american vehicle i've been in has been a pile; that's saying it nicely, very nicely.

Lmao. This.

My Powerboog G4 has been beaten and bruised many times and the top part of the base chassis is basically popped open, but the machine still works, the superdrive works, and it's 100% original parts eight-years going strong. :apple:

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
it is designed by US Engineers and checked to fit our standards...I think that's as American as anything gets these days anyways :p

There are always lemons along the way, but I prefer American Muscle over anything else. anyhow lets end it there before we start some sort of flame war.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
there's a lot of things made in the us, apple computers just aren't one of them.
i won't get into the car thing, but my roommate sophomore year has a "new" mustang gt c/s[muscle car i guess?], it too was a pile(even in his words, the interior looks like it came from a dollar store); he ditched it and got a 2nd gen infiniti m45 for a few months then a g37s, and said it's not even fair to compair them(and i agree) in any aspect.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
@timotay89 Does your girlfriend work for Microsoft? :p

No! She actually bought a 13" MBP sometime in there (I think around the dropping it on tile floor phase). I converted her to liking OSX instead of Windows. She hasn't managed to destroy her MBP yet, but I'm willing to bet she'll give it a shot eventually.

EDIT: Actually, she just told me she dropped it the first week she had it.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
The one and only time I ever dropped my MBP was while I was sleeping. Sometimes I have it on a small fold up coffee table when I go to sleep (temporary until I get a desk). One night, I fell asleep and it was pretty close to my bed. I was about half awake when it happened, like I literally knew it was going to happen before it happened, that's the worst part. I accidentally put my hand on the table and just enough pressure to tip it over and it took a good 4 foot fall. Scared the living s&%t out of me. Luckily, the floor's a somewhat thick carpet, and I don't think it was on or open. No damage.

Twenty1TEN

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2009
I had a mate over for a few beers a few weeks ago and we may have had a few to many while listening to some sweet tunes. Anyway he knocked it off a shelf fully open about 5ft onto very solid tiles...got a dent on the corner and a scratch. Thought that was the only damage. I opened it up and a tab that held the battery screw in had smashed and so had a little metal cable holder...but fixed all that up and it works beautiful...very sturdy machines.

Little worried that my harddrive may give up but it has been a few weeks so touch wood it stays good.

Srirama

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Chennai
i dropped mine while using it on my lap,i had recklessly lent back to check on something and the macbook pro fell flat on its side.It rolled over and closed its lid.
Out of Initial shock,i did not move,but later found out to my delight that there was only a small dent near the optical drive.
The optical drive works too :)
The drop was around 3 feet.
Apple's unibody design seems to be extremely sturdy :D

Apok

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Columbus, Ohio

Actually I'm pretty sure that means good luck.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Sitting on the couch in my basement one evening doing homework. All of the sudden I felt something crawling on my back. Figured it was a spider and jumped up off the couch so I could kill it. However, my MBP was still sitting on my lap. It flew off of my lap, the lid closed, and it did two or three flips in the air and landed on the carpet. I had the hardshell case on it, so nothing really happened to it.

Oh, and I still never found the spider :( lol

----------

Little worried that my harddrive may give up but it has been a few weeks so touch wood it stays good.

As long as the sudden motion sensor on your hard drive activated you should have nothing to worry about. At least not for a while.

Joe71925

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2017
I just dropped my MacBook that is only 3 weeks old on to a carpet (the MacBook has a 4 foot drop tested case) so I thought nothing would happen, I open the MacBook, AND THE SCREEN IS ****ING BROKEN.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I have dropped all 3 of mine on occasion (2011 13”, 2012 rMBP, 2017 15”), though primarily it’s been the sliding off the couch variety, so fortunately no significant damage thus far - they generally seem relatively hardy, and it’s the little contacts that you don’t expect to do the damage that seem to result in the cracks and breaks on many occasions..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.