iPhone X Anyone have insurance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GoFlex, Jan 31, 2018.

1. GoFlex macrumors regular

GoFlex

Looking to purchase the iPhone X outright but want insurance.
    I understand I can get AppleCare+ but since I'll probably sell the phone next year, I figured I could go with an insurer which would also cover LOSS & THEFT for a cheaper monthly fee.

Now, I was thinking. If I was to crack the screen, for example, and the insurer replaced it. Would that subsequently void the Apple Warranty? I'm thinking in terms of resale, I'll want the 1 year warranty to still be available. Thanks all!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You'll end up paying more than AppleCare due to deductibles.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

jav6454 is right and for what it covers, you can not beat AC+ if you want insurance.

4. raqball, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

You can also cancel Apple Care + when you sell it a year later and get a partial refund. I went with Apple Care over AT&T insurance. I think AT&T said it would be $9 a month but their deductible on the X is like $300.,...

Edit to add screenshot of ATT deductibles. The X is Tier E:

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 1.02.21 PM.png

You might also look at Square Trade. $89 for a year and their deductibles vary from $25 (in home screen replacement) to $99 (full phone replacement). They also allow you to take phone to Apple store, pay Apple then submit the receipt to Square Trade for a refund (minus the deductible)

I've used Square Trade before and they are reputable and fast..

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

6. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Anyone who works on a phone, who is not an AASP, voids the warranty of the phone.

Further, the insurer isn't going to repair the screen. He/She is going to send you a phone they got from... somewhere. Refurbished almost certainly not by Apple.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

What do you make of the link I posted above your post?

8. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

9. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

I don't put any stock in it. At the end of the day, yes, that's what the law says (never mind what Apple says), but it's equivalent to the law saying pedestrians have the right-of-way while you're in the hospital in traction. The correct answer is to not be in the intersection.

You have NO idea where Asurion might get a phone, or what it might have been through before it's sent to you. But a given is that they're not going to do component-level repairs on the same phone the OP has. The warranty from Apple is dead the moment he lets Asurion replace it.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would steer clear of Assurion and other models like it.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have not heard good things about Assurion at all. Eyoungren can attest to this I believe.

12. Winterfibre macrumors regular

I'm insured through my house insurance. It worked out the cheapest option.

13. Beardedguy macrumors member

I have insurance through sprint that includes Apple care. It is through asurion which people usually have nothing good to say about. It covers lost or stolen and I still get all the Apple care benefits.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

if you’re going to sell it you may want to ask how the phone is replace with a factory (Apple refurb) or third party refurb.
    Not all replacement phones share the same quality.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yes, generally in the past Asurion/Asurant has been known to use non-OEM parts in their refurbs.

I am led to believe that this may no longer be the case, at least with Sprint refurb iPhones, by a reputable Sprint technician I trust however. So, at least in Sprint's case that may be different now.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I haven't heard anything good from any insurance plan.

17. raqball macrumors 68000

I've never had an issue with any of them..

Several years ago my son had a Note 4 and broke it. We had ATT insurance at the time. After the claim and paying the deductible he had a new phone in 2 days total.

I had square trade a few years ago and my phone sustained water damage. Had a new phone in 2 days as well.

I have also had Apple Care + in the past and never had to sue it but I assume that if I ever did I'd get a phone same day in store..

There are plenty of horror stories out there but I've never had an issue with any of them.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Neither have I because of the same horror stories, hence I avoid them like the plague.

19. raqball macrumors 68000

Well there are horror stories for everything. Phones, cars, computers, dishwashers, stoves, microwaves, ect. My personal experience has been zero issues whatsoever...

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Agreed, but with an iPhon, I'd just rather have to have my interactions with Apple.

21. raqball macrumors 68000

I agree but Square Trade is cheaper (if that matter to someone) and they have a one year plan as well if someone does not want to bother with getting a refund from Apple a year later when they upgrade the phone like the OP. Square Trade also allows you to bring the phone to an Apple store and get reimbursed for the cost (minus the deductible).. Square Trade deductibles are the same as Apple Care. $25-$99 depending..

I am not saying ST is great but I didn't have an issue the one time I used them. For my X I went with AC+ just because but I did debate getting ST for it as they have a 2-year plan for $130...

22. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

On Saturday, a Verizon salesman in store told me that after a bad replacement from Asurion you can request a new phone and they have to give you one. Anyone have any experience knowledge/experience with this?

23. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Asurion would only have to do that if that's what the policy you agree to with Asurion says. I know it's bad form to read what you're agreeing to these days, though. Verizon wouldn't have to do anything, they're not the ones you have an insurance policy with.