Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhones that have undergone any third-party screen repair now qualify for warranty coverage, as long as the issue being fixed does not relate to the display itself, according to an internal memo distributed by Apple today. MacRumors confirmed the memo's authenticity with multiple sources.

iphone-7-display.jpg

Previously, an iPhone with a third-party display was not eligible for any authorized repairs under warranty.

When a customer with an iPhone that has a third-party display seeks a repair for a non-display issue, Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers have been advised to inspect the device for any fraud or tampering, and then swap out the device or replace the broken part based on Apple's in-warranty pricing.

iPhones with third-party displays must still be within their warranty coverage period, whether it be Apple's standard 1-year manufacturer's warranty or extended AppleCare coverage, in order for warranty service to be honored.

If the iPhone is out of warranty, or the repair involves a display-related issue, customers will be offered the option to pay Apple's flat rate out-of-warranty pricing. If a customer declines this out-of-warranty pricing, then Apple Authorized Service Providers are instructed to decline service altogether.

If the presence of any third-party part causes the repair to be unsuccessful or breaks the iPhone, Apple said customers will be required to pay the out-of-warranty cost to replace the third-party part, or the entire device if necessary, in order to resolve the issue that the iPhone was initially brought in for.

If a customer wants to pay for an Apple genuine display to replace their third-party display, Apple Authorized Service Providers have been instructed to quote the typical out-of-warranty price for a new display. Apple said AppleCare+ will not cover third-party display or battery repairs.

Apple Authorized Service Providers are still instructed to decline service for any iPhone with a functional failure related to a third-party aluminum enclosure, logic board, battery, Lightning connector, headphone jack, volume buttons, mute switch, sleep/wake button, and certain microphones.

MacRumors has confirmed that the policy applies to repairs in the United States and Canada, while other regions are likely included.

Article Link: Apple Says Third-Party iPhone Screen Repairs No Longer Fully Void Your Warranty

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I am more intrigued on how those two iPhones share a blended wallpaper. I'd love to know how to do that to couple an iPhone and an iPad mini like that!

Reactions: bruinsrme

joshuaadunn

Suspended
Oct 9, 2016
I am more intrigued on how those two iPhones share a blended wallpaper. I'd love to know how to do that to couple an iPhone and an iPad mini like that!

Go into Pages, paste an image you plan to use as your main image. Then get the screen ratio of both devices and create outline boxes of those sizes. Lay them over the image how you plan to orientate them. Then screen shot inside the boxes and use the screen shots. Easiest way I could think of. Though Photoshop users likely have a faster better method.

Reactions: braddick

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think this is a good move for Apple with the following caveat. With the new policy, the Apple Genius people will need to be even more thorough in their assessment and possible repair. If not, the new policy could be a PR problem for Apple and the consumer.

ostrykolesz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Poland
I think this is a good move for Apple with the following caveat. With the new policy, the Apple Genius people will need to be even more thorough in their assessment and possible repair. If not, the new policy could be a PR problem for Apple and the consumer.

What about a chipped screen? They refused to replace my battery because of a chipped screen! I tried doing it my self and broke my 6S+.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Joni Meloni
Use perspex for unbreakable screens - how hard can it be for a top designer to figure that out

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Ok, good for the customer bad for apple I guess, how should apple know if the 3rd party repair Guy did use ESD protection gear?
One spark from the finger is enough to fry the board.

If he fried the board during the repair, the consumer would know as soon as they picked up their phone and found it not working. It would be painfully obvious who was at fault.

Well painfully obvious to most people here, I guess.

JGAN

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Cool, but isn't the warranty voided once the screen is broken to begin with?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Have fun waiting a week for an appointment and sitting at the Apple store for 3 hours while somebody gets around to it. Or walk in and get it fixed in under an hour (You retain your original Apple LCD) www.fastandfairrepair.com

3 times I had issues with my iPhone/Beats wirelesses, was resolved almost instantly. Got a slot, went around shopping, turned back at my appointment time. Issue fixed right away. Just wish it would be as easy with other companies.
I would not trust that much third parties.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Good move. It makes financial sense for Apple, since you have to wonder just how many customers are turned away from repair because of this. Makes the customers happy, will possibly allow Apple to retain or make even more from repairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.