Anyone have iPhone envy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sauce, Oct 27, 2008.

1. sauce macrumors newbie

I can't have an iPhone. I have Sprint and I'm not willing to give up my awesome cell plan for at&t and be charged 3x as much. I'm sad about it, but will I get over it if I get an iPod touch? Sucks that I have to carry around a cell and an iPod though.

What do you think?

2. only macrumors regular

3. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

i feel your pain. i have the same "dilemma". i have verizon right now and just dont feel like giving up my plan for an iphone... a well..

iPhone CDMA 2009!

4. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

I've heard that the iPhone is going to be available for Verizon sooner or later.
    Maybe later this year or next year.
    (Rumor)

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I just waited for my Verizon contract to expire and got an iPhone.

I think I was paying $40 for my basic plan and crappy Nokia non-smartphone. The iPhone so far has been worth the extra $.

6. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

No iphone envy for me. I have Verizon and in my area they are the better service. Besides I am moving to Japan next week. The iphone is nothing compared to Japanese phones.

I haven't lived there in about four years so we'll see how much their phones have advanced since then.

7. archi17 macrumors regular

I think AT&T and Apple had a contract for 5 years, so don't expect to see the iPhone on Verizon for a while. I really really wanted a iPhone, but now that i have the iPod touch i don't want one any more, because it does basically everything that the iPhone does, but you can have a mobile with a better carrier/ pan. Once you have a iPod touch for a while, then use a iPhone, you notice that the iPhone feels way thicker than the iPod, which makes the iPhone seem old and fat and not so much of a want anymore.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No iPhone envy here either. I mainly text (but not much) and occasionally use voice and tethering. iPhones don't officially support tethering and I don't want to move to a plan for $5 worth of usage each month.

I do have a Touch, but it's appalling that a NZ$1000 iPhone lacks features present on my $150 low-end cellphone.

9. Funplex macrumors regular

While I'd like to own an iPhone-- I don't use a phone enough to warrant the absurd costs of the phone and service.

iPod Touch works just fine for my needs.

10. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Do I want to be throwing money away with that ridiculous at&t plan? Hmmm, no. I'm happy with sprint and its cheap plans. Treo+ipod touch is enough for me. ^_^

11. gear71428 macrumors member

I wouldn't want an iphone even if Sprint offered it. I like the touch for what it does. I like my cell phone for what it does. My cell is a flip phone that is small and nearly indestructible. It pulls in a signal from almost anywhere. Its great for making calls and thats all I want from a phone. I have two GPS devices, one in my car and another handheld device for hiking and biking. I don't text people. I just need a reliable (flip type) phone and thats what I have. I also don't want the bill that comes with the iphone. From my limited experiance I've noticed that "do everything" devices usually don't do anything really well and "do one thing" devices do that one thing really well.

12. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I don't envy the iPhone, I have a BlackBerry Curve and an iPod Touch, best of both worlds :D

Maybe in the future when the iPhone becomes a better phone I will change, but for now the BB rules.

13. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I have an iPhone 3G with the Optus $59 cap.

The plan is brilliant, but the Optus 3G network is garbage. If Telstra offered better iPhone plans, I would jump ship immediately.

So, to answer OP's questions: I love my iPhone, and I did have iPhone envy for the 12 months that it was available in the US and UK and not Australia. :D

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if I wasn't stuck in a 18month plan till july I would switch to O2 UK they have the same mins an txts I get now but for less per month

15. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Nope never. My E71 is the best phone Ive ever had. And with unlimited data and Joikuspot its 2 good to give up for a crippled iPhone that wont let you use bluetooth the way you want or send MMS etc etc...

It sure looks cool tho.

16. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

im always 50/50 over getting an iphone, and its always the usual sayings that keep me with an N95:

1. i get twice as many minutes and half the monthly fee of the iphone.
    2. as a photographer, its nice to always have a semi decent camera on me, and the iphone just dont cut it!

plus... most of my friends who have the iphone take an ipod with them everywhere too due to battery life. And for me this kind of defeats the point of an all in one device.

plus again... Im really not that impressed with safari on 02's network, wifi is great, but loading full web pages seems to take ages every time i test it, and for my mobile internet needs (usually just reading the guardian online), its the text im after, and its faster (although not as pretty) on my n95!

17. GT41 macrumors regular

Well I am still a bit backwards when it comes to phones... in fact I don't have one. I find I love my iPod Touch for what it is, but I always think I should move into the 21st century and get a phone and that's when the iPhone thing bugs me.

18. Big Willie macrumors member

All you Verizon users, like myself, should wait until the Blackberry Storm comes out in a couple of weeks before further contemplating a move or having iPhone envy.

Not saying it will be better than the iPhone, but you can keep your better rates, your better coverage, and have a 16 gb microSD card capable touch screen phone.

19. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm still on the fence about switching from Sprint. However, by moving from Sprint I will have to play about $30 extra dollars per month and get no free texting, 1/2 the minutes, and nights starting 3 hours later. Additionally, I will haver to get a phone with no MMS, no T-b-T GPS, no internal storage for files, no direct DL'ing files onto the phone, no tethering, and a phone that can't run files in the background.

You would think this was a no-brainer, but its not!

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I hope so too! AT&T can KMA. I had them, and went through two years of hell (and a mark on my credit for canceling AFTER my contract was over, and had to prove that to them with legal intervention) once, and that is enough for me in this lifetime.

Verizon has great coverage, and awesome customer service. Something AT&T hasn't and likely never will have.

[​IMG]

21. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Yes and no. I have a 16 gb iPod Touch. I've owned it since the first week of issue and I love it. I want an iPhone so I can have all my stuff in one place. Plus, creating a better digital address book and the ability to access the internet while on the road.

I can get a 15% off discount from the monthly charges.

However, I do not want to buy one unless I can hold more than what I do on my 16gb iPod.

So once there is a 32gb or 64gb iPhone, I will not buy one.

Which is a shame because my t-mobile contract just ended and I'm doing month to month until MWSF to see if I'll get my wish. Anyone think I will?

Oh and this is my 500th post!!!!!!!!!!! YeaH

22. sapota macrumors member

I had the same dilemma but am with tmobile. so instead got an old 1st gen iphone & unlocked it for tmobile. That being said, for the things I use the iphone for, I would easily have been satisfied with an ipod touch + a good cellphone. (Note that the iphone is only a so so cell phone as such - low call volume, bluetooth headset hiccups etc). yes it means carrying 2 devices...but it also means u dont have to lug around a laptop to browse the internet during wifi cafe lunches. I did however recently get a previous gen MBP...so might just sell the iphone & use the laptop & a good flip open cellphone.

23. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Me too. My iPod touch is my trusty PDA-like sidekick.

24. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

God!!! My friends keeps telling me about their cool iphones. Everyday
    they download some new amazing app. It will do this! And this.
    It never stops.

But I keep thinking about the extra $40-50 a month forever its going to cost me. Every two years not having an iphone will buy me a new laptop.

BUT I still want one. Help.

25. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

Funny

It's funny to watch people are self assuring themselves with touch
    Everyone knows iphones way better