Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
WhatsApp has a gaping big hole at the bottom, so everytime I want to hit the Space Bar, it does nothing.

That'll change soon enough, I'm sure.

sparky12

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
Ever since I switched, I noticed I'm missing letters when typing and misspelling words. Think it's because of the larger screen.

Not really an issue, more like I need to get used to it...

Anyone else?

I'm with you on this. I keep missing words, or adding unnecessary periods. Not sure what's going on :p the autocorrect is giving me a hard time.

xref

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
I'm having problems typing on the iphone 5 as well. There's definitely something different.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
i don't know if ios 6 changed the keyboard for the US version but the german keyboard got 3 new keys which changed the whole layout of the keyboard and made the buttons smaller. everything moved a little to the left and some keys are at a slightly different position. i'm always hitting the wrong keys... this kinda annoys me but i guess i'll get used to it

the upper is with ios 6

Same here. Spanish keyboard has the Ñ now. It wasn't there before. Glad we don't have to go to the secondary keyboard to show it. :)

jcapz

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Yes. But only on apps that haven't been updated for the 4" screen. I keep hitting below the correct key, often missing the space bar entirely. I would've preferred non-iPhone 5 apps to open at the bottom of the screen and have one black bar at the top when used in portrait - this would make my muscle memory use it just like any previous iPhone. At least a choice of where to position the screen would've been nice.

Same exact thing happening to me! I keep tapping the black border! Can't want for all apps to update for iPhone 5

rayminster

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
There's definitely a problem with the touch screen. I hope it's software and am 80% sure it is software based.

If you open message to type text and test how far to the edge you can press before the phone thinks you're no longer pressing buttons. You will be surprised the threshold is very bad. On the 4s and 4 (actually all the iPhones before this one) allowed touch response right to the very edge of the display. This phone seems to leave short about 2mm which is making this feel different to typing in the previous versions of iPhone.

Now what's interesting is, if you test the keyboard while using a non iphone 5 optimised app like eBay for example, you will see the same issue occurs right around the edge of the keyboard. But remember as the apps are now letterboxed for non iphone 5 apps, there's should be no issue pressing the bottom edge of the keyboard as the keyboard sits up higher in the screen space than before. - bit the issue still happens, only half the space bar works!

I'm speaking with apple in the morning.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Interesting thread as I thought it might just be me.

I even went into the apple store to look for a cable but also to see how my typing is on their floor units (thinking maybe I had a weird screen on my i5)

Nope. The same. Which is good. I don't need to get a replacement then lol.

Last edited:

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010
Yes. But only on apps that haven't been updated for the 4" screen. I keep hitting below the correct key, often missing the space bar entirely. I would've preferred non-iPhone 5 apps to open at the bottom of the screen and have one black bar at the top when used in portrait - this would make my muscle memory use it just like any previous iPhone. At least a choice of where to position the screen would've been nice.

Fragmentation.

VolcomLegend

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Only it's not fragmentation. Apps would be the same size, Apple could simply give a choice of top, middle or bottom. Or just make it bottom when apps are portrait. The apps needn't be changed.

bowlen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Perth
Ever since I switched, I noticed I'm missing letters when typing and misspelling words. Think it's because of the larger screen.

Not really an issue, more like I need to get used to it...

Anyone else?

Yes, I too have noticed this. It is like the screen isn't as sensitive and isn't picking up every key stroke.

zubins

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
there seems to be latency in Instagram, Gmail, basically any web-based app.

i damn near have to push the space button twice to insure i get a space

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Yeah Im getting the problem too! It's Like when you type really fast, the phone does not register all of the presses...words often have letters missin or the space bar doesn't click right. I doubt it has anything to do with the pone learning because I restored from a backup of my 4s so It should be the same...I think there will be a software fix for this soon enough! Or it looks like I'm getting a new replacement!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It was an issue at first. After a week it's normal again. I thinks it's a combo of iOS 6 and device geometry playing tricks on your brain while you adjust.

anthonyd

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Yes same problem with typing. But I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS6 and noticed that the behaviour had changed. Now I have my iPhone 5, same issue exists.

It is as if Apple has done two things:
1. reduced the level of predictive character selection which means you need to be more accurate with keyboard typing.
2. I actually get offered auto completion of words a lot less and a lot later (like 1 or 2 characters from the end...) than iOS5.x

To be honest, the keyboard inaccuracy has become a lot more Android like - crap.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Only for the first few days did I feel like there was an issue. Otherwise it seems easier now to me. I think it was the phone learning me.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010

This is exactly right. I keep missing keys I think it's also the combo of learning specific words.

Sjf73

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
The first few days I had the 5 i found I was mis-typing, deleting when I going got the letter M, hitting letters and not typing anything.

I've got better since, so I presume there's a slight difference in keyboard size between the 4S and the 5. Either that or the keypad sensitivity has improved with use.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Not to cause a panic but I noticed this on the my first iPhone before swapping it out due to a nick on the antenna band. Typing and clicking on objects were intermittent. I did not bring this up at the genius bar because it was not a huge deal at the time but I did notice a difference when I got home with the replacement. New phone does not have this problem.
I'm a Android fanboy but my wife loves the iPhone so this is actually a gift come mid October. I thought that this would be an excellent time to test drive to see if I like it and after a week I'm sticking with Android. I wanted her to have a S3 but she just does not care for bigger screens and she loves her iPhone 4. She is not picky or tech savy like me so this iPhone will last her for 2 years . I'll play with it from time to time but it will not replace my next phone; the Galaxy Note 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.