Anyone heard of "Swoopo"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SnowLeopard2008, Nov 29, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sounds fishy... Anyone have experience buying/bidding/winning an auction on Swoopo.com?

2. mrcharlie91 macrumors member

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... One of my relatives swears by it. Here's an article that explains something.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So your article clarifies that it isn't sa scam, but after reading it, why would anyone in their right mind want to use Swoopo? It sounds terrible

If your relative swears by it, could you please ask him/her for some costs that they paid for things including the price of the bids used in purchasing the item?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I just checked it out, it looks like one of those things that are too good to be true ;)

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Just checked out that article. Wow! You have to buy "bid" credit in order to bid on items? 1$/bid?

No thank you. I'll stick with eBay, Paypal, and Microsoft's Live Search cashback.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'll e-mail her. I do know she purchased her Logitech Z-5500s about $40 cheaper then any eBay buy it now purchasing. I agree that it sounds Swoopo seems rather ridiculous, but maybe if you have five dollars laying around it could be worth it depending on the cost of the purchase.

8. iceblade macrumors member

Its an interesting idea. An idea I wished I'd thought up. I was curious, and watched an auction for a macbook for about half an hour or so, and came back the day after to see how the auction had turned out. I think Swoopo ended up making at least 200% of the original cost of the item in bid prices, although the item was 'free' if you won the auction. I dont' remember quite how much profit there was, but it was substantial. I want to say Swoopo got $3000 some in bid prices, so they made approximately $2000 in profit. The auction actually ended below the original cost of the item, but the bid prices ($1 a bid) made Swoopo $2000 in profit. Does that make sense?

Its a good deal, if you can win. The problem is winning. Its a ton of money to spend, and risk NOT getting it. I think on that particular item I saw that 70 or so people had bid on it? I'm not sure where I saw that though, and why it comes to mind. I saw bids coming in from at least 10 different people during the half hour I watched it though.

I'd say its legit. I've never used it, but I think its legit. Some have called it gambling, I dunno about that *shrug*.

Anyway... I think its legit, but it isn't worth your money (the cost to bid enough to get the item).

9. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea... just saw another swoopo add at the bottom of this page. I think I'd rather buy things thru other means... less gambling related means.

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Dont do it. You can loose a lot of money very fast through that site.

11. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Swoopo???

Is the site legit? I saw the ad on the site and decided to check it out. Looks like it has some good deals, but looks too good to be true.

Anyone on the site here get anything off that site before?

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.swoopo.com/terms.html

13. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Swoopo: The Definitive Thread

This thread is going to be all about Swoopo.
    About your experiences- and what you think about it.

What it is: Swoopo is an Online Auction Service, where you pay 75 Cents for a Bid. Whenever somebody bids, the timer goes up 15 seconds, and Bidding starts again. You win when your bid is the highest, and nobody else bids within the 15 Seconds.

Link: http://swoopo.com

14. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I have read few positive impressions of this "pay to bid" site, mostly because people are accustomed to the eBay method of doing things. With discipline, proper understanding and patience, I imagine that there are good deals to be had.

15. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

My Experience:
    I bought 30 Bids on Swoopo for $20 USD. Then, I proceeded to attempt to win a brand new Aluminum MacBook. I saw a MacBook Auction ending at about 1:00 AM Pacific Time, so I stayed up until that time preparing to bid.
    My strategy was to bid at the last second, making sure nobody else was going to bid before I bid. Thus, I could conserve my bids.
    However, that didn't really work. I always bid at the last second, but everybody else did too, so then I got smarter and didn't bid for many rounds.
    Even so, I kept on losing, because everybody kept on "out-bidding" me.
    Eventually, I gave up on that Auction and I went to sleep.
    The next Morning, I discovered that the Auction h\still had not ended yet. Instead, the price had went up to around 14.00.
    It is important to note now that this Auction was a "Penny Auction", meaning the whenever somebody placed a bid, the price would go up by 1 cent. Therefore, there had been around 1400 bids already, meaning Swoopo had made 3/4 of 1400, which is 1050.
    I gave up on that Auction, and only had 8 bids left.
    I found another Auction for another MacBook, which was exactly the same.
    I ended up spending the rest of my bids on that Auction.
    I still kept on watching, and saw the 2nd Auction ending at $2.37.
    The first Auction had already attracted many bidders, and still had not ended- eventually, it ended at the price of around $40.

Since then, I have never used Swoopo.
    To me, Swoopo seems to be like Gambling, because you are betting on the fat that nobody ill outbid you in the time framd.
    As far as I know, I have never heard of anybody winning on Swoopo, leading me to think the site could be a big scam, with Computers inside Swoopo driving the bid up. It could even be only the Computers wining, and nobody has ever won an item on Swoopo, but they still pay for the bids they placed.

True, but it would take some time to gain these skills. Even then, there is no guarantee you will win.

16. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I've been tempted to try. I think a very popular item would be difficult to win, but if you were in the market for a little less popular item you might be able to get a good deal.

17. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I wonder if anyone will chime in here about winning an auction there and receiving the item. It would be interesting to see how often that happens.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now that I merged you into the pre-existing thread on the topic, you may have your wish. ;)

As for Swoopo, I agree with most of the others who said that, while it might sometimes generate savings, it is in general a bad idea....

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, i looked at it and it seems like Las Vegas style gambling.

I guess the only way to win is if you find an item you want that is in very low demand by others. But even then you have no control if Swoopo also bids and drives the price up.

It's like those TV shows where they ask a simple question that everyone can answer and then you call in at $1 per minute and if you get through you win $1000. Of course ten thousand people call in and they answer the phone only after you wasted 5 minutes (=$5) by waiting on hold............

20. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Sure- No problem.
    Thanks!

Yes. But you can't even hang up on Swoopo. Once you placed it, you've placed it.

21. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

It's gambling! If you know when to stop and when to bid your good. Unlike ebay you lose all money you throw toward the item even if you lose. I never heard of someone not getting the prize they won, though I have heard some people that lost lots of money because they weren't thinking.

I was going to go for an iMac... everyone on there is going for TVs, Macbooks and Wiis and Games

22. Patillac macrumors member

Patillac

Scam or Legit

I know it's been asked in this thread... but I have yet (in any forum) to find anyone who has won and received an item.

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I had a look, and it looks like a perfectly legal way to scam you out of your money.

They are currently offering a MacBook worth $1229 with a current bid price of about $220. It is a "penny auction", which means each bid costs the bidder 75 cents and increases the bid price by one penny. That means there have been 22000 bids so far at a cost of $16500 to the bidders. Enough to pay for 13 MacBooks. That's ridiculous.

And there are people who say the lottery is a "tax on being stupid". No, this thing is.

24. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

It's just like the lottery. At first glance, you really think you have a chance at winning that item, but that timer just keeps jumping up and up and up...That youtube.com video someone posted on the other page explains it all. Once you've paid for your items, plus the amount of the bid, plus all of the time you spent at your computer refreshing and bidding, plus the possibility of getting fired from your job (cause yes, you're probably bidding while you're at work) you probably only end up saving a little, is it even worth it if you do win? I know, I'll ask them if I could put a few of my things up there, and then I can get .75 per .01 bid.