Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Well I guess you've never been truly depressed then :) You could give me an Enzo Ferrari and Im not sure how much it would change me (after the first few days).

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
I am surprised that getting over a divorce or break up would require a pharmaceutical solution. Not belittling the traumatic effects, but there is a big difference between being depressed and being unhappy. It seems we have got lumbered with the word "depression" when in fact it should more properly be called suppression, as in reduced seratonin production making you unhappy chemically and physically. this is different fundamentally to depression, where emotionally you feel low.

Suppression is unhealthy, depression as I described it, is healthy and necessary, I would suggest, as a part of the healing process. So it isnt that great, but if you can smile and laugh now again and dont feel like a ton weight is on your shoulders and your memory isnt failing you and you dont look at the ground but still look people in the eye and you can still do a job you would expect to do in your sleep, then I would talk, not pop pills.

I suffered a head injury and this brought on a severe depression as in severe suppression and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Also I would not wish my enemies the same trials and tribulations as I experienced when doctors tried to find a medication that worked on me. At one stage I was about to pour petrol over myself, instead I ran away. I was thankfully picked up and driven to hospital by a friend and as a result the big wig psychiatric bods were called in to sort me out where my GP was failing miserably. I ended up on a tiny dose of amytritylin which is an old fashioned so-say weak and insignificant drug but it was not part of the prozac family which had made me so paranoid. So be afraid of drugs and if there is the slightest feeling that you can just pull yourself together after a n emotional upset like a break-up, please, do it.

If you cant pull yourself together despite your best efforts, be very questioning of your doc, and make sure you have good friends who know about the treatment, because they will notice you freaking out or changing well before you do.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
lamina said:
Well I guess you've never been truly depressed then :) You could give me an Enzo Ferrari and Im not sure how much it would change me (after the first few days).

You want to be given a dead Italian car designer?:eek:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
TMA said:
I read somewhere (sorry don't remember where) that exercise basically helps maintain or can increase serotonin levels.

Did I get the wrong chemical?:eek:

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
TMA said:
Now it's like my mind is bored or has nothing to think about, so I guess I now see sleeping as something to do to occupy myself.

A bored mind is better than a depressed mind; although, I'm still not sure if you're taking the right SSRI. There is a vast variety of SSRI's out there that all have the same end result, but go about it differently. There might be one that works well for you, but with fewer side effects. That's the point I'm trying to make. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
bartelby said:
You want to be given a dead Italian car designer?:eek:

It's not only the name of a person but a commemorative car model. ;)

It wouldn't make me happy. I'd be too anxious to drive it in traffic. :D

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
bousozoku said:
It's not only the name of a person but a commemorative car model. ;)

It wouldn't make me happy. I'd be too anxious to drive it in traffic. :D

That's a Ferrari Enzo rather than an Enzo Ferrari;)

bartelby said:
That's a Ferrari Enzo rather than an Enzo Ferrari;)

Don't you have to already own a Ferrari, and then apply for an Enzo? I understand that Ferrari has a merit system of some kind for deciding who gets one.

All I know is that if I were in a position to be using my disposable income on a 2nd Ferrari, anhedonia would not be one of my problems. Money may not make me happy, but it would remove my primary source of stress. ;)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Boggle said:
Don't you have to already own a Ferrari, and then apply for an Enzo? I understand that Ferrari has a merit system of some kind for deciding who gets one.

All I know is that if I were in a position to be using my disposable income on a 2nd Ferrari, anhedonia would not be one of my problems. Money may not make me happy, but it would remove my primary source of stress. ;)

Not only do you need to already own a Ferrari but you have to have owned the right ones!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
noname.jpg

Not trying to make light of anybody's issues or anything :).

e

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
scem0 said:
noname.jpg

Not trying to make light of anybody's issues or anything :).

e

That is hilarious.

I've decided I'm not going to go the antidepressant route. I will give my brain some time to balance everything out and keep myself distracted in the meantime. Thanks everyone for your input, especially BillyBoy

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
lamina said:
Actually my friend, the car is properly addressed as the Enzo Ferrari. See here.

Is it?
As we all know Wikipedia is 100% accurate. I notice it's Ferrari Enzo in the url,
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Enzo

Oh, well. It was off topic anyway.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
lamina said:
That is hilarious.

I've decided I'm not going to go the antidepressant route. I will give my brain some time to balance everything out and keep myself distracted in the meantime. Thanks everyone for your input, especially BillyBoy
Hope all works out for you.
Good luck :)

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
Effexor is an SSRI, while clonazepam is a Benzodiazepene (all generics that end in -am (alprazolam,lorazepam,clonazepam, citoprolam hcl,) are benzo's. Man pharmacuetics really paid off. (or maybe its my mom,dad,sister, bro-in law, all being pharmacists..:rolleyes: )

AJ Muni said:
Effexor is an SSRI, while clonazepam is a Benzodiazepene (all generics that end in -am (alprazolam,lorazepam,clonazepam, citoprolam hcl,) are benzo's. Man pharmacuetics really paid off. (or maybe its my mom,dad,sister, bro-in law, all being pharmacists..:rolleyes: )

No so.

Celexa is an SSRI. Its generic name is Citalopram

Also, Chloradiazepoxide (librium), is a benzo that doesn't end in "am."

But generally, what you've posted holds true.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Boggle said:
No so.

Celexa is an SSRI. Its generic name is Citalopram

Also, Chloradiazepoxide (librium), is a benzo that doesn't end in "am."

But generally, what you've posted holds true.

Mmmm...Librium :D

uspcommuter

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
Hmm...I guess I will be the first somewhat medical related person to speak out :). I am currently still in pharmacy school, unfortunately I didnt learn about psyc stuff yet so the stuff I know is just slightly better than google :D . I would like to give a big hand for all of you for seeking help its a really big step. I say that from personal experience and not b/c I do this as a living in the future.

While I am happy that most are sharing their experience...I would like to reiterate some of the comments and add on just some of my past exp.

1. Excercise! Yes its a fact that excercise would produce endophins (aka runner's high). It really helps out the neurochemical balances and also protects you from getting a beer belly!

2. If you need drugs then take it, but beware of the trial and error syndrome, just b/c the first prescription doesnt work doesnt mean the next one won't. Unfortuately, psyc drugs are a little bit elusive so finding a right one can sometimes take a little longer.

3. Maintain regular contact with your doc. Please talk to your doc on a regular basis too see what your progression is.

4. Lastly, even tho in school we are taught about how patients like to share their "medical treatments" and reccomending to others. I am not totally against seeing how at least it gets them to think about seeking treatment. But I must stress that you should go talk to your local pharmacist they provide pharmaceutical advise for FREE!!!! (versus your local accountant or lawyer which chargest 150/hr to 300/hr respectively just to talk!). Plus, we are a friendly bunch and don't bite :)

I know there was a few comments on drug policy...well its a one of the downfalls of capitalism...sad to see how some companies are making so much money and people are dying in other countries where they cant afford the medication all together...alright enough ranting. Good luck to you all.

jericho53

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
Center of the Universe
AJ Muni said:

Well you should know that Effexor is an SNRI. I included clonazepam because I felt it was related to the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.