Anyone here use Firefox?

Andy2k

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
Of course, who wouldn't use the best internet browser available on market.

Firefox > Safari > Chrome > any Microsucks web browser

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
I love the Firefox feature set and UI. Mozilla has put a lot of work into the application and it runs on Mac better than it ever has. I also like the Mozilla philosophy and dedication to the user experience, and that they are NOT out to monetize my browsing. But… even simple pages force my CPU temps into egg frying territory. On benchmarks, FF is consistently the slowest yet most resource hungry. That has to come from Firefox being 100% ported software. It supports few, if any, MacOS features, tools, or even use MacOS dialogs. It runs on Mac but it’s not Mac software.

max2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Of course, who wouldn't use the best internet browser available on market.

Firefox > Safari > Chrome > any Microsucks web browser
True but the question is are you ready for Firefox 57 ?

Andy2k

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
True but the question is are you ready for Firefox 57 ?
I guess I'm not sure? What's the big deal with 57? I do like that they now have a warning when entering login or other information over insecure http that you get a warning.

max2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I guess I'm not sure? What's the big deal with 57? I do like that they now have a warning when entering login or other information over insecure http that you get a warning.
Most add-ons will not be supported anymore. Only Web extensions will work. Unless said add-on is ported to a web extension.

So for example Classic Theme Restorer will not work anymore.
No Script should if it is ported completely to web extension in time.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I tried it, so far I didn't see anything compelling that would have me switch from Chrome/Safari to Firefox.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Most add-ons will not be supported anymore. Only Web extensions will work. Unless said add-on is ported to a web extension.

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary self-harm to the browser as far as I understand it. And if Noscript in particular is out, then that kills the entire point of using Firefox at all.

Reactions: TonyK and OLDCODGER

Andy2k

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
I wonder if we all make a big enough stink. Maybe they would change their course. Why are they getting rid of add-ons anyways? Do they give a reason to deprecate them? I could see paring them down, the old and no longer actively maintained add-ons.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country

Fortunately, staying on Snow leopard, I am restricted to v.48.0.1 - complete with all the add-ons I want.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I love the Firefox feature set and UI. Mozilla has put a lot of work into the application and it runs on Mac better than it ever has. I also like the Mozilla philosophy and dedication to the user experience, and that they are NOT out to monetize my browsing. But… even simple pages force my CPU temps into egg frying territory. On benchmarks, FF is consistently the slowest yet most resource hungry. That has to come from Firefox being 100% ported software. It supports few, if any, MacOS features, tools, or even use MacOS dialogs. It runs on Mac but it’s not Mac software.
I have a thread (in my signature) that deals with About:Config tweaks for a PowerPC Mac browser based off Firefox. I bring this up because the tweak settings are universal. They work regardless of platform.

On page one I have a link to the prefs file I use for Firefox on my MBP.

Just putting this out there in case you may wish to try it. The whole point to my tweaks is to reduce CPU load and ram usage.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-tenfourfox-about-config-tweaks-and-my-addons.1838393/

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Firefox, both OS X and Windows, has become more buggy as they move forward. As a web developer for a large corporation it makes it difficult to keep things working and generally it is not the software I work on but the dependent services we use. < sigh />

Rigby

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
So, what's the difference between an add-on and a web extension?
WebExtensions use a new API that is suitable for the new multi-process architecture (which will make Firefox more secure and robust). Most of the major plugins are being migrated to the new API (and yes, that includes Noscript which already includes an embedded WebExtension in the latest version). The API will also be largely compatible with the APIs used by Google Chrome and Opera, so many of their extensions will work with small modifications. Mozilla has put a lot of effort into making this a smooth transition. They are also working with other browser vendors in the W3C to work towards the goal of cross-browser extensions.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
WebExtensions use a new API that is suitable for the new multi-process architecture (which will make Firefox more secure and robust). Most of the major plugins are being migrated to the new API (and yes, that includes Noscript which already includes an embedded WebExtension in the latest version). The API will also be largely compatible with the APIs used by Google Chrome and Opera, so many of their extensions will work with small modifications. Mozilla has put a lot of effort into making this a smooth transition. They are also working with other browser vendors in the W3C to work towards the goal of cross-browser extensions.
Okay so....why does the OP seem to be recoiling in horror?

This doesn't seem like a BFD...

Reactions: BeefCake 15

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been using Firefox for a long time, a decade, but lately I noticed that with about 10 tabs open it really starts sucking up my cpu. I was getting lots of spinning balls. I've since switched back to Safari and that has stopped. Safari is relatively well behaved in that regard.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2015
near Boston, MA
I've been using Firefox for a long time, a decade, but lately I noticed that with about 10 tabs open it really starts sucking up my cpu. I was getting lots of spinning balls. I've since switched back to Safari and that has stopped. Safari is relatively well behaved in that regard.
I stopped all my Add-ons recently and started seeing some stability. They're labeling most of their Add-ons as Legacy with the new transition with the exception of the few already ahead of the curve and updated their code.

Reactions: Huntn