Anyone here use Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by max2, May 9, 2017.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

2. Andy2k macrumors member

Of course, who wouldn't use the best internet browser available on market.

Firefox > Safari > Chrome > any Microsucks web browser

3. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

I love the Firefox feature set and UI. Mozilla has put a lot of work into the application and it runs on Mac better than it ever has. I also like the Mozilla philosophy and dedication to the user experience, and that they are NOT out to monetize my browsing. But… even simple pages force my CPU temps into egg frying territory. On benchmarks, FF is consistently the slowest yet most resource hungry. That has to come from Firefox being 100% ported software. It supports few, if any, MacOS features, tools, or even use MacOS dialogs. It runs on Mac but it’s not Mac software.

4. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

True but the question is are you ready for Firefox 57 ?

5. Andy2k macrumors member

I guess I'm not sure? What's the big deal with 57? I do like that they now have a warning when entering login or other information over insecure http that you get a warning.

6. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Most add-ons will not be supported anymore. Only Web extensions will work. Unless said add-on is ported to a web extension.

So for example Classic Theme Restorer will not work anymore.
    No Script should if it is ported completely to web extension in time.

7. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

8. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I use it occasionally for web dev testing and stuff. It doesn't beat Safari for me, but it seems decent these days.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried it, so far I didn't see anything compelling that would have me switch from Chrome/Safari to Firefox.

10. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary self-harm to the browser as far as I understand it. And if Noscript in particular is out, then that kills the entire point of using Firefox at all.

11. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

12. Andy2k macrumors member

I wonder if we all make a big enough stink. Maybe they would change their course. Why are they getting rid of add-ons anyways? Do they give a reason to deprecate them? I could see paring them down, the old and no longer actively maintained add-ons.

13. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Fortunately, staying on Snow leopard, I am restricted to v.48.0.1 - complete with all the add-ons I want.

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Will add block work under 57 ?

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

So, what's the difference between an add-on and a web extension?

16. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a thread (in my signature) that deals with About:Config tweaks for a PowerPC Mac browser based off Firefox. I bring this up because the tweak settings are universal. They work regardless of platform.

On page one I have a link to the prefs file I use for Firefox on my MBP.

Just putting this out there in case you may wish to try it. The whole point to my tweaks is to reduce CPU load and ram usage.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-tenfourfox-about-config-tweaks-and-my-addons.1838393/

18. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Firefox, both OS X and Windows, has become more buggy as they move forward. As a web developer for a large corporation it makes it difficult to keep things working and generally it is not the software I work on but the dependent services we use. < sigh />

19. Rigby macrumors 601

WebExtensions use a new API that is suitable for the new multi-process architecture (which will make Firefox more secure and robust). Most of the major plugins are being migrated to the new API (and yes, that includes Noscript which already includes an embedded WebExtension in the latest version). The API will also be largely compatible with the APIs used by Google Chrome and Opera, so many of their extensions will work with small modifications. Mozilla has put a lot of effort into making this a smooth transition. They are also working with other browser vendors in the W3C to work towards the goal of cross-browser extensions.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Okay so....why does the OP seem to be recoiling in horror?

This doesn't seem like a BFD...

21. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

OP just wanted to know if you're ready, that's all :D

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've been using Firefox for a long time, a decade, but lately I noticed that with about 10 tabs open it really starts sucking up my cpu. I was getting lots of spinning balls. I've since switched back to Safari and that has stopped. Safari is relatively well behaved in that regard.

23. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I stopped all my Add-ons recently and started seeing some stability. They're labeling most of their Add-ons as Legacy with the new transition with the exception of the few already ahead of the curve and updated their code.