Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I stopped all my Add-ons recently and started seeing some stability. They're labeling most of their Add-ons as Legacy with the new transition with the exception of the few already ahead of the curve and updated their code.
I liked No Script on Firefox. I'm not sure if Safari has something similar or if it's even needed, because typically when I go to a new page, I just turn on individual scripts until I get functionality out of the page. Safari is so nice in this regard (low cpu usage), I may not go back to Firefox.

Or maybe the answer would be to go back to Firefox and turn off most of the add-ons. I like the ones that warn of fake pages.

RocksIRC

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I use Safari 11.0.1 as main browser app and FireFox 56.0.1 (64-bit) as secondary browser on EL Captain 10.11.6. To be honest my favorite is FireFox but I feel more secure with Safari. I got a question since Safari has built in flash would builtin flash with safari be better or would FireFox with Flash installed addon be better?

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
I got a question since Safari has built in flash would builtin flash with safari be better or would FireFox with Flash installed addon be better?
From https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.
No Flash Player plug-in would be best. While not having installed a flash plugin for some time on my latest Mac, I think I'm not missing too much.

AFAIK, Safari never had a built-in Flash plug-in, that was Chrome. If you do have an old Flash plug-in installed in Safari, that probably came from some Adobe installer (like Adobe CS, etc.). If you plan to activate it for Safari or Firefox, then grab the latest version from Adobe https://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer/.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I use Firefox in Private Browsing 100% and tweaking config (about:config)... (Anything less is my own fault....)

Plus uBlock Origin and Lastpass add-on..Also sometimes use Chrome. with as much blocking can get done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.