Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

napierzaza

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
Yes, a regular unibody from last year upgraded to a hi resolution display. The reseller I posted has screens that are compatible with AT LEAST the newer MBP for 200$.

This is the best price I have seen, and if it would work bug free I would go for it. I just don't have easy access to these screens without the risk of it not working. If it didn't work I'd be out the 200$ and my display would be in pieces. So that's a real problem.

chiccomv

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Yes, a regular unibody from last year upgraded to a hi resolution display. The reseller I posted has screens that are compatible with AT LEAST the newer MBP for 200$.

This is the best price I have seen, and if it would work bug free I would go for it. I just don't have easy access to these screens without the risk of it not working. If it didn't work I'd be out the 200$ and my display would be in pieces. So that's a real problem.

Did anyone try this? I have a mis 2009 MBP C2D and I would really like to try.
Any suggestion?

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Did anyone try this? I have a mis 2009 MBP C2D and I would really like to try.
Any suggestion?
One of the biggest reasons I'm considering getting a new MBP to replace my mid-'09 15" model is because I'd like the HR AG screen. I'd love to know whether this upgrade is possible; maybe I'll give PowerBookMedic a call to see what they say.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Any word for updating mid-2009 Macbook pros to hi resolution? They are the model just before Apple offered the hi resolution display. It's interesting that if you look at some online stores they sell the standard screens and say that the screen can work for the current generation AND the mid-2009 MBP while they note that he Hi Resolution panels won't.

I imagine if the SD panels are so completely interchangeable, that the connectors and communication methods must be the same. Now with this post I feel like it's even more likely that the mid-2009 MBP unibodies are compatible with the more recent generation.

Can anyone corroborate?

See here:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/15-Inch-MacBook-Unibody-Display-LCD-Screen-NEW-p-17295.html

They are not, unfortunately. In the Late 2008 and Mid 2009 models, the AirPort card is housed inside the display (inside the black plastic housing where the hinges are), and as such have connectors that run there for antenna, iSight etc. In the 2010 however, the AirPort card has been moved to the internals of the computer itself, and there is a new type of connection on the logic board.

2008/2009 (the internals are pretty similar)
RJNdtkvPDvpTymoX.medium

dMvHZpKm1hGbxbIC.medium

chiccomv

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
Thank you for the great insight, it is really helpful.
However if I may can you elaborate on the connector? I know that the lcd itself is made by different manufacturers and it should have a fairly standard connector. It may be possible to replace the lcd only if a connector is found to match the one on the old board.
Do you think it's not possible?

chiccomv

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
So, I found out that the connector for the LCD screen itself is the same for bot laptops as you can see following the replacement instructions at:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2010-LCD/3581/1

However being new to the Mac Software I am not sure if replacing the screen will require special firmware or if it will recognize the screen as a plug and play. Did anyone tri this replacement? And if so, is there any special instruction I should follow?
I am planning on getting the screen from this website and try to plug it in to see what happens.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/15-Inch-MacBook-Unibody-Display-LCD-Screen-NEW-p-17295.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2007
I've gone through the first couple and last couple pages, and I guess I have a piggyback question: I need to replace the screen in my out of warranty non-unibody MB anyway - does anyone make screens that i could replace it with to get the resolution bump? The higher resolution on my new MBA is totally spoiling me, and I think that I might actually use that computer occasionally if I both fixed and improved the screen.

Sorry I couldn't be arsed to read all 33 pages.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Guess what I found:

WSXGA+ screen for those who have LED WSXGA screens in their MacBook Pros.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-PHILIPS-LP154WE3-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B0041KOK8S

EDIT: even better, check this out, WUXGA LED:

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-LTN154CT04-LAPTOP-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B00474YZ74/ref=sr_1_1/179-5137760-7601011?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1298120810&sr=1-1

I do not know if these work, but I am planning on getting the WUXGA screen and test it out. Don't hold your breath, as I might not get it for a long time.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Forget the LTN154CT04, it is the RGB screen Dell M4400 used, too tall to fit in the cover.

Too tall? But they are both 15.4" screens, wouldn't they both have the same height/width? Where ever I look, they say that the dimension are the same. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
AnonMac50

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
subscribing to this thread.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has done or has seen any informations on putting a 1920x1200 display in a mid 2010 15.4" standard glossy MBP.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Thank you for the great insight, it is really helpful.
However if I may can you elaborate on the connector? I know that the lcd itself is made by different manufacturers and it should have a fairly standard connector. It may be possible to replace the lcd only if a connector is found to match the one on the old board.
Do you think it's not possible?

When doing a display replacement in the unibody MBPs, the whole display in its entirety is replaced, not the LCD panel. I have not seen how the display assembly looks on the inside, but I suppose it is not techincally impossible to replace only the LCD panel (to say a high resolution one), I just have no idea how to do it.

Google Fu yields this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Replace-the-Macbook-Unibody-Glass-LCD/

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I would honestly probably try doing this on my anti-glare 2010 model, but even ifixit has no guides on an anti-glare display teardown. I emailed them a long time ago about it, and they said they were working on it, but still nothing.

topocalypse

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
bottomline;

is it possible to put 1680*1080 or 1920*1200 on my mid-2010 macbook pro 15"? I'm currently using standard display, but i really want hi-res or above now!!!

i couldn't read all the whole of 52 pages. So is it possible, if yes, how?

Thanks very much in advance!!!

kaltmond

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
1680 is possible but still need confirmation. Forget 1920.....no one make that panel which fit in MBP.

Crankturner

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
You know, i've read through the first maybe 20 pages or so of this thread and i am going to attempt exactly what the OP, Baxter did. I have a 1ghz powerbook aluminum and i got the same panel he got, the Sharp LQ154M1LW02, got it for $51 shipped haha, and I buy/sell/trade macs and mac parts on ebay all the time, so i already had a full MBP 15" lcd housing, but i also needed the lvds so i got the same one he did for $8 shipped, so for $59 total ..its a nice cheap and fun project for me :D

I actually did an lcd swap on my 2.4ghz 17" MPB about 2 months ago. It had the 1680x1050 panel in it, but i desperately wanted the full 1200p panel. it took several days, possibly even weeks of researching before i found the exact one i needed. If anyone needs the model number i can get it for you. It was a fairly straight forward job ..however ...upon booting, my Windows 7 partition loved it, displayed at full resolution right away. But when i tried booting into OS X, even the boot up grey screen with the apple logo was being displayed at what appeared to be like 1024x768! It was awful. I looked and looked everywhere to see how to fix it, but since this is a fairly rare job that people don't often do (apparently?!) i found next to nothing.

What i ended up doing, just on a whim, was booted up in safe mode on OS X, holding down shift, or space bar, while booting. Can't remember if it was shift or space and then hit power to boot while holding it down, but it worked!! Never had an issue since! I got that panel on laptopscreens.com for $109 shipped, and sold the wsxga+ LCD the MPB came with for $96 on ebay, so really, it was a $13 upgrade for me :D

Crankturner

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
bottomline;

is it possible to put 1680*1080 or 1920*1200 on my mid-2010 macbook pro 15"? I'm currently using standard display, but i really want hi-res or above now!!!

i couldn't read all the whole of 52 pages. So is it possible, if yes, how?

Thanks very much in advance!!!

Dude that's absolutely possible, probably for under $150 shipped on eBay, ill find a model number for you or get you an auction link, not sure what kaltmond above me is talking about lol ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.