Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
So after some use - I think this mod is not quite for me. The text is a bit too small for my liking because I sit far away from my screen usually - and really a middle ground would be great for this machine. Too bad...I got lucky in finding the LG screen. Will be putting it up for sale to purchase a normal resolution matte screen though...once you go matte you can never go back!

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
So after some use - I think this mod is not quite for me. The text is a bit too small for my liking because I sit far away from my screen usually - and really a middle ground would be great for this machine. Too bad...I got lucky in finding the LG screen. Will be putting it up for sale to purchase a normal resolution matte screen though...once you go matte you can never go back!

Well, you got bitten dude, and it'll be miserable on 1440x for you now :eek::D:cool:
So give it some time, and probably adjust your sitting habits a bit for a while - you might like it after all ;)

buddy1065

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Baxterbrittle, wondering what would happen if you had only worked with a Powerbook body with a 15.4" screen. Would that have also been possible? Then that begs the question would MBP guts work inside the full body 15" PB since technically it is larger? Then there would be no latch or top fitting hinge problems? Great work by the way!

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Well, you got bitten dude, and it'll be miserable on 1440x for you now :eek::D:cool:
So give it some time, and probably adjust your sitting habits a bit for a while - you might like it after all ;)

Haha I dunno about that. I really like this higher res, but for functionality purposes, ease of viewing takes precedent over all else. I will have it on the mbp for a few days while my new matte screen comes in, so haha I will have to give it some time to adjust to.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Haha I dunno about that. I really like this higher res, but for functionality purposes, ease of viewing takes precedent over all else. I will have it on the mbp for a few days while my new matte screen comes in, so haha I will have to give it some time to adjust to.

I used in application zoom like features such as viewing word and excel documents at 200% when had mine. I hated going back on the uMBP but pretty much work on the external 20" or 24" all the time. I only use the laptop display for fusion or as a second screen to pull over text between files. I never use it alone unless I absolutely have to.

Cheers,

steckrca

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Apparently I'm a Noob.

So I need some help with this mod. I just bought a Mid/Late 2007 MBP, 15.4, 2.2 C2D, A1226. It had a cracked screen so I bought a LTN154U1-L02, but it has a different plug and a separate backlight plug. Which screen do I need to get for this MBP? All the ones I see have separate backlight plug, and a different signal cable. I'm not usually one who needs things laid out for him, but on this, I do. Who's got me.

EDIT: Apparently I really AM a noob. Didn't even realize that my screen is LED backlit. Can I still do this or am I stuck with 1440x900?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn

I faintly remember something within OSX that scaled things to meet higher resolutions, so higher resolution did not have to mean microscopic text.

Am I trippin', or can someone else remember such a thing as well?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I faintly remember something within OSX that scaled things to meet higher resolutions, so higher resolution did not have to mean microscopic text.

Am I trippin', or can someone else remember such a thing as well?

Yea, you can adjust text size on most devices.

steckrca

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Dell Studio XPS 15

Does anyone know the model of WUXGA screen used in the Dell Studio XPS 15 or 16? The 15 is a 15.4, and the 16 is a 15.6, both WUXGA, both LED backlit. There's one on ebay right now with the entire back cover, and I'm thinking I might be able to make it work with my MPB LED.

don.lee103720

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Hey guys,

I have read every single page but there is still insight to whether this mod is 100% proven. I've recently acquired a first gen Macbook Pro and I am currently hesitating to do this work. As far as I can see, modders are still experiencing issues where they have to take their laptop apart again. Can this issue be solved by the software people have been using?

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Hey guys,

I have read every single page but there is still insight to whether this mod is 100% proven. I've recently acquired a first gen Macbook Pro and I am currently hesitating to do this work. As far as I can see, modders are still experiencing issues where they have to take their laptop apart again. Can this issue be solved by the software people have been using?

I'm curious as well.. Is there a definitive answer on wether this mod works 100%? I see a lot of posts saying they've had success with the LP154WU1 screen, but not sure if that means their laptops are 100% functional.

So far I've gathered that this only works with CCFL Powerbooks/MBPs, and that the LG LP154 screen is the best option. (Do connection points match perfectly?)

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
So I need some help with this mod. I just bought a Mid/Late 2007 MBP, 15.4, 2.2 C2D, A1226. It had a cracked screen so I bought a LTN154U1-L02, but it has a different plug and a separate backlight plug. Which screen do I need to get for this MBP? All the ones I see have separate backlight plug, and a different signal cable. I'm not usually one who needs things laid out for him, but on this, I do. Who's got me.

EDIT: Apparently I really AM a noob. Didn't even realize that my screen is LED backlit. Can I still do this or am I stuck with 1440x900?

I haven't seen anyone who successfully tried since the LEDs were more expensive. Probably a lot more options out there now. Not sure about the connectors.

I'm curious as well.. Is there a definitive answer on wether this mod works 100%? I see a lot of posts saying they've had success with the LP154WU1 screen, but not sure if that means their laptops are 100% functional.

So far I've gathered that this only works with CCFL Powerbooks/MBPs, and that the LG LP154 screen is the best option. (Do connection points match perfectly?)

When I did mine, it worked well until I tried to use it with bootcamp'd Vista. Had to redo the sleep method. Also, never do a reset of the PRAM or you'll be doing the sleep method again.

You are correct that it only works with the Pre-SR non-LED backlit MBP. At the time there were no reasonably priced 1080p LED screens. The connectors on mine were perfect. I ended with a matte display even though it was supposed to be glossy. Also, not as bright as the original display. Used it for awhile before selling it and getting a SR MBP. I really miss the hires display. I use dual monitors to get around the low res MB/MBP displays.

Cheers,

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
When I did mine, it worked well until I tried to use it with bootcamp'd Vista. Had to redo the sleep method. Also, never do a reset of the PRAM or you'll be doing the sleep method again.

You are correct that it only works with the Pre-SR non-LED backlit MBP. At the time there were no reasonably priced 1080p LED screens. The connectors on mine were perfect. I ended with a matte display even though it was supposed to be glossy. Also, not as bright as the original display. Used it for awhile before selling it and getting a SR MBP. I really miss the hires display. I use dual monitors to get around the low res MB/MBP displays.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info :) I see from past posts that you had used an LG panel, did you have good luck with this screen? I much prefer LG panels (from previous Dell experiences) and would like to get one of those.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Thanks for the info :) I see from past posts that you had used an LG panel, did you have good luck with this screen? I much prefer LG panels (from previous Dell experiences) and would like to get one of those.

The LG worked fine, I just would have preferred glossy but other than that it was good. The whole process was a good experience. I'd only replaced ram and HD on laptops previously.

Cheers,

don.lee103720

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
The LG worked fine, I just would have preferred glossy but other than that it was good. The whole process was a good experience. I'd only replaced ram and HD on laptops previously.

Cheers,

Quick question, once you reset a pram, can you get the black screen back using external monitor? Pry things open whenever the PRAM reset happens would be a PITA.

Thanks,
Don

samy1024

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
Original display

I have a question:
I've bought the LTN154P1-L02 screen (matte, 1680*1050), because I've broken my old 1440*900 screen (LTN154X7). It works fine, but I don't like it, because the things on the screen are too small in my opinion.
So does anybody here still have the original Macbook Pro Core Duo's 1440*900 matte screen and doesn't need it/ can give/ sell it to me? Or does anyone want to swap his original screen with my screen?
Thank you!:D

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
I'm curious to know if the display connectors in the late 2008 unibody 15.4" MBP are the same as the one used in the mid 2010 15.4" hi-res MBP, and if so, where I could get one of the displays from (glossy). I'd be half tempted to retrofit it if it was possible.

The iFixit teardown of the mid 2010 15.4" didn't really say if the display used the same connector or not. I imagine it would. Hopefully it would be a straight swap...

catdog02481

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
Boston, MA
I'm curious to know if the display connectors in the late 2008 unibody 15.4" MBP are the same as the one used in the mid 2010 15.4" hi-res MBP, and if so, where I could get one of the displays from (glossy). I'd be half tempted to retrofit it if it was possible.

The iFixit teardown of the mid 2010 15.4" didn't really say if the display used the same connector or not. I imagine it would. Hopefully it would be a straight swap...

That's a great idea, i hope it fits so i can upgrade my first gen 2.8 15" uMBP. In the meantime, if you can't wait, i have my WUXGA (1920x1200) 2.16Ghz C2D 15" with a glossy LG up for sale on ebay....item#190391912487

catdog02481

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
Boston, MA
That's a great idea, i hope it fits so i can upgrade my first gen 2.8 15" uMBP. In the meantime, if you can't wait, i have my WUXGA (1920x1200) 2.16Ghz C2D 15" with a glossy LG up for sale on ebay....item#190391912487

Was anyone able to fit in an LED WUXGA 15" into one of the later macbook pros?

MANIACki

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Hello,

Is it possible connect macbook pro 17'' lcd panel with silver aluminium case - so it's older version to my powerbook g4 17 model no: a1085?

Lcd panel from mbp is with case and everything, so i wonder there are similar connectors?

Thanks for reply.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
1680x1050?

Did anyone ever get a 1680x1050 WSXGA screen working?

I want to get rid of my WUXGA screen now, simply too much strain on my eyes and I'm sick of having to zoom everything and get pixelation : (

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
1680x1050? Yes! BREAKING NEWS!

Did anyone ever get a 1680x1050 WSXGA screen working?

I want to get rid of my WUXGA screen now, simply too much strain on my eyes and I'm sick of having to zoom everything and get pixelation : (

Last I checked Steve Jobs got it to work finally :eek: Check your Apple Store :p:rolleyes::D

Seriously, I'm going to pick up HR-AG 15" soon, thought of it makes me happy :)

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
Didn't mean to hijack a thread ;)
But I finally got 15"AG-HR MBP :)

I had few reservations on how it would perform with my workflow ...
But I'm officially totally blown away :D

Anyways judging form 1680 pix, I would assume it would be too much - for me - to go to 1920 pix. :eek:

Though I'm still a bit jealous when I see a guy with 17"AG'MBP in my local coffee shop. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.