Anyone leave the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheMBC, Nov 29, 2008.

1. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Anyone else here leave the iPhone? Where did you go and what phone do you have now?

Just asking because I sold my phone right now and am leaving AT&T, wanted to know who else has done it.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why?

I was miserable using a flip phone when i sold my first iPhone upon the arrival of the 3G.

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Very interested to know why you sold the phone and are leaving AT&T.

You don't get too many of these threads. More interested in knowing if you left the iPhone behind because of AT&T or not.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I left the iPhone 3G. I went to an iPod touch 32GB instead.

5. The General macrumors 601

I waited in line for the first iPhone, I waited in line for the 3G iPhone.

I left the iPhone 3G for the G1 on the G1's release day ... It took me about a month to realize it ... but I hated it and the iPhone is the best phone ever made.

I returned the phone on the 28th day of my 30 day buyer's remorse period and picked up a new iPhone on the way phone.

Couldn't be happier. The iPhone is my favorite thing ever.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nope, iPhone owner from early on, and I'm love it

Although I just found 4 stuck pixels, so I do need to go talk with Apple

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

SHUNN. You are a disgrace. :mad:

It's okay i forgive you :)

8. TheMBC thread starter macrumors 6502

You must love the phone a lot ;) :D

Actually there are two reasons why I'm leaving:
    AT&T and high prices
    iTunes

I come from using a Zune (shoot me), and I thought I would go along with the 'future' of converged devices... but I like devices that do one thing and do it well (or maybe I just like devices that are separate from music players.) I'm going over to T-Mobile with my sister, and will more than likely be getting a G1 (because it's their coolest phone in my eyes).

I'm just not getting what I want from the iPhone and instead of *****ing about it, I'm being a little more proactive and moving along to what I want and to a device/service that's right for me.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Those are good reasons, though the iTunes one is always going to be a given with most Apple mobile devices.

I also agree about the device convergence. Most devices (like the iPhone) that combine a lot of devices, are going to not do certain things well. The iPhone makes a great music player, phone, and (very slow) web browser. Other than that..... not so much.

I got a chance to use the G1 and I must say Android is about as stable and speedy as Mobile OSX. Very shocked that Google could have made a much easier to use OS than Windows, whose been doing it for far longer. I'd hope that it would be used on many of HTC's future phones.... but that would be too much like right.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I did. My wife's phone crapped out and she wasn't elegible for an upgrade, but I was. So, I got a Motorola Q9 Global for free and passed the iPhone down to her. I didn't get a data plan on the Q9. I wanted a phone that I could sync with my iMac and use The Missing Sync to do that.

The Q9 is nice, but to me the iPhone is way better.

11. TheMBC thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you...
    I have checked out the G1, albeit not extensively, more like three 10-minute T-Mobile Store stops :D

But from what I gather (while the G1 isn't the prettiest thing on the planet) Android does pretty much what I want it to do.

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

to put it plainly:

HTC phones --> PCs with superior hardware, but Windows
    iPhone ---> Macs with sub-par hardware but vastly WAY BETTER OS
    HTC G1 ---> HTC phone (PC) with very good very stable OS that gives me the feel of a PC running Linux.

Or to make it simply for everyone: The G1 would have me switching to T-Mobile WAY before the iPhone would have me switching to AT&T. But that's more so because of AT&T.

13. Tufelhunden macrumors member

Interesting. I ended up on the iPhone over the G1 as my wifes whole family is on AT&T. We had MyFaves so our minutes were fine, the family was getting jammed. I had T-Mobile for 6 years and never a hitch. I really like the G1 except for the lack of a touch screen keyboard, but I bet that is worked out in a few months, open source FTW.

14. jeffdc5 macrumors member

jeffdc5

I don't understand the complaining that goes on about the iphone apple made no secrets about what the phone can and can't do, why wait in line drop the cash then complain endlessly. Any issues that need to be resolved will be in time and people complain about the lack of open source freedom the G1 isn't fully open either. If you want freedom jailbreak it takes about 5 minutes and you can do whatever you want from themes to downloading torrents

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Your post makes little sense. The op gave the iPhone a shot and ended up not liking it. So what. There is no need to chastise him/her for that. And reading about the capabilities is a lot different than actually owning and using the phone. As for "endlessly" bitching, they're not. He's moving on and asking for advice. Have an open mind.

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This is actually one of the least whiny threads I've seen on here for a while, and I've been around for a bit. ;) just because someone decides the iPhone isn't for them doesn't mean they are automatically complaining.

I loved my first gen iPhone a lot. I sold it a few months ahead of the 3G release to make some quick cash to move half way across the country. It was agony waiting for the 3G release with the little Nokia bar phone I had, but then when the 3G actually came I was pretty disappointed. The lack of stability in the OS meant that I had to change my usage habits just to keep from having to restart the thing all the time. It wasn't a hardware thing, so I said to myself, "time to move on" and sold the 3G for a BB Bold.

The Bold is a great phone. The OS, while not as revolutionary, is fast and fairly intuitive. The screen is amazing, smaller than the iPhone's, but sharper. The app base isn't quite as strong, but it definitely there and much more developed in the sense that the apps have been thoroughly tested over time. And then there's email, nobody beats BB at email...

In the end though, I missed the iPhone like crazy. Syncing with my mac was a huge chore, I couldn't listen to my music purchased on iTunes without crazy work around, and even though safari crashed like crazy, at least it was there when you needed it. The Bold's browser is much better than most phones these days, but it still can't touch safari. So, I went back to the AT&T store and exchanged it for another iPhone. To my pleasent surprise, the 2.2 update has proven to be very good, from my point of view. My phone is a lot more stable, and I was actually able to type this while post without it crashing!

Good luck with your move, OP!

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Not to add more salt to the wound, but not every post about not liking the iPhone is bad. Some users aren't happy for whatever reason, be it AT&T, iTunes, the cost of the phone, the risk of getting it stolen and having to pay full price for a new one, etc.

Others are the options that are out there. Some people DO want a phone with turn by turn GPS, the ability to create office docs, full bluetooth, etc.

For me, it's just a matter of AT&T, and the ability to create documents on the fly and bluetooth them to others, the speed of AT&T's network/cost of the plan, and a few others that make me not want the phone. I probably wouldn't get it right now if it were put on Sprint's network. Just me though.

p.s. And to say that "the issues will be resolved in time" is an insult to every other phone that you may have complained about, or bashed once it was released. The Storm didn't get any such love recently, which is why most of the reviews out there done by the Pogue's biased @$$ or other tech reviews are garbage. No other phone, no matter how good, will ever get any play in the tech world.

18. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Ask me again at the start of 2010, when my contract is up for renewal :D

19. TheMBC thread starter macrumors 6502

What!? Where in this thread did I complain? I don't like the iPhone, it's not right for me, so I'm figuring out a way to get rid of it (which I did)...

@abying, I sold my iPhone 1st gen the Tuesday before it went on sale, but I had to wait a whole week before I could get the iPhone 3G, geez it was horrible!

20. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I sat at home for several weeks, looking at my iPhone where it lay on the table and thinking how sad it was that I used it so little, and was paying $30 a month for the privilege. Finally, I decided it wasn't worth it, so I sold it.

I used my old Razr V3xx for 10 days before deciding I had made a horrible mistake. I was "lucky" because one of the other lines on my account was upgrade eligible, so I was able to buy a new iPhone for that line, then transfer it to mine. Still, it obligated me to a new 24-month contract on BOTH lines. The rep told me that even though the contract currently in effect on my line was originally for an iPhone, I was now adding an iPhone to it (again), and "any time an iPhone is added to a line, it requires a new 24-month contract". Anyone find that strange?

Anyway, yep, I got rid of my iPhone. But not for long!

21. c43amg macrumors member

I left the iphone 3G a month ago (still like reading these threads from time to time). I really liked it but it got to be a pain after a while. I won't go into details about that since you did not ask. I went to the Nokia E71 grey version and purchased a 16GB micro sd for $60.00. Could not be happier! A truly one hand operation device, it is FAST in everything you need it to do. Slowly I been looking and downloading apps that keeps making this phone better and better.

Last week bestbuy had the E71 for t-mobile for $199.00 with contract. I bought the unlocked version from bestbuy for $339.00 (they price matched it to online websites). I tell you, this phone is fantastic, battery life is unbelievable! Give it a try, you will like it way more than your motorola AND the iphone. If you listen to music make sure you get a good quality headset. If you like to listen with STEREO bluetooth get a sony in-ear headset and you will love the sound of the E71.

NOTE: STEREO BT means you can listen to streamed music in stereo on both ears (I know this is the iphone forum and people are not use to these things :)

22. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Left the iPhone TWICE (haha). Traded my hacked T-Mobile iPhone 2G for a Curve then when 3G came out I switched to AT&T... had it for a few months and got the Bold when it came out.

Nothing against the iPhone... as a man of aesthetics its probably one of the sleekest devices out there... still untouchable in the touchscreen arena. I just got a little tired of typing on it and not getting the right words to show up (then came 2.2 update with auto-correction option :p haha).

Also was kind of upset about the app quality and how Apple was running the App Store. Too many 'ehh' programs that filled up my screens only to be filtered out and removed monthly. 4 screens down to 1.5.

To be honest after a while I found myself not really using the iPod or App Store as much as I thought I would. Phone app is OK... and there were a few little quirks about SMS and email... wanting it to do this and that and I was just sick of waiting for Apple to update/add functionality. Things that should have been there since the iPhone was released last year!

Anyways, you still cannot beat the internet browsing on this thing and the awesome iPod for music/videos and SYNCING. But I can live without those on the Bold... its a great phone. Can't really compare the two since I believe they cater to different people.

Thanks for reading :p

23. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

It's too bad that G1 is the first Android phone. While I can't complain about the software, the G1 hardware is not so good.

Although the plastic body is very light, it's also very flimsy. There's only one hinge that connects the screen to the body so you can easily peel away the top part of the screen and it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Compared to the HTC Fuze, the G1 is like a GameBoy - from the 80s. It's amazing how a phone from the same company can be so different.

The keys on the G1 keyboard are too flush for a physical keyboard. Again the Fuze has a better keyboard.

And the problem I have in general with HTC is using a mini-USB port for your headphones, which requires a bulky adapter. I guess if you don't really listen to music this won't bother you. But, wouldn't you think they learned from Apple?

Plus, T-Mobile in my area has the absolute worst network. In fact, we don't even HAVE a 3G network here and no one can tell me WHEN a 3G network will be installed.

Android deserves so much better than this. Too bad Android isn't on the Fuze.

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is the reason I went with the iPhone instead of the G1 - T Mobile. Their 3G is severely limited right now and I will be moving to a new city in a few months. I couldn't afford to go somewhere new and have no coverage.

You're right, Android should have received more respect. If it came to Sprint initially, I would have bought that phone instead. Android seems to have more potential and from using it quite a bit at the store, the touch screen was very responsive and customizable. Yeah, the iPhone looks beautiful and everything - but that's not the be-all end-all. In the end, I would have been just as satisfied with the G1 as I am now. And as I understand, the G1 is selling very, very well right now - even while being on the T Mobile carrier. Although, this doesn't equate to the G1 being a better phone, but it is just another very realistic alternative.

25. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Don't let the door hit you on the way out :p