Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evolesque

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
at this point my opinion is,

I like the old ones, I consider saving almost a grand(at least I did) a feature.
build quality is something I like in the new model, but its not like the classic will break apart or something. also the newer model to me is only faster in testbenching software. I understand the fashion argument for the new one too since I think thats what got me to buy a mba.

p.s. for the people trying to justify the better specs in the unibodies, be honest, if somebody gave you just a monitor and a keyboard/mouse would you be able to tell the difference. Because I think if you cannot tell the difference 100 percent of the time then its not clearly faster spec wise then the old one.

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Notice how he didn't challenge the guys who said the same thing I said. :p

this is a fun thread for sure!:apple: Love your pink sig diva, should go really well with :p and those shiny silver keys and that thin mbp bezel. I for once don't like the former very much but really like the old bezel much much more.

But anyway it's grea how each one here identifies with the elements they chose and rationalize one way or another the bad bits.

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
If the Unibody did not exist, I would still be happy with my 17" 2.4GHz SR MBP with a glossy screen. However I was ready for the change over. I was bugged by the latch and the bowing top (when closed the corners were up about .060" and contacting at the latch). Overall though the machine was a daily workhorse that never let me down and it went everywhere.

The Unibody meets my needs and I love the shape and general feel of the machine. The disappointment is the mini-display-port and the requirement of three display adapters ($160) to cover the bases that the "Classic" covered. I still don't know if I will get back to 3200 x 1200 that the Classic did with the aid of the Matrox Digital A2D.

Oh well, I am looking foreward to the updated 17" one of these days. I wonder if it will have a glass covered screen?

Neil

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
The old ones had a solid glass front display as well afaik.

Just about the design: I too like them more. They have some kind of a timeless elegance, I love that! The design is more sophisticated and contained, less flashy contrasts. Better understatement. Unique in it's character. Unmistakable. The thin bezel looks and feels more modern. Note it's within the main view, you always look at that. My 6/2007-MBP (first with LED backlight) closes just fine and even and it feels sturdy and compact enough. I am very happy with it, - the best computer I ever had!

The new ones are not bad but I hope that the "new"-effect (a little bit vaio-like in my honest opinion) will last long enough for the fans...

If I had to buy another MBP I would take an old one and miss the easily changeable HDD maybe. But I can't live without FW400 (need camcorders and some external FW800-disks mounted simultaneous for field editing).

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I want the new body so bad but I can't find ANYONE to sell my 2.4ghz macbook pro to. I even tried selling this thing for $1300 and nobody wants it!

Anyone who prefers the old style is definitely in the minority!

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Also, didn't the glass make it heavier

Do you think anyone would ever notice 0.1 of a lb? The glass made the lid heavier (for stability) but other steps were taken to make the body lighter. This point is even worth bringing up as its a non-issue.

NO

the same thing but keep it the same thickness as the previous gen or make it slightly thicker.

There is no need to make a Pro machine any thinner. More FW ports and eSATA and two HDDs would be a nice addition as well.

Agreed, I'd have been happy with a bit thicker even if it meant a 2nd HDD, 2nd FW port, eSATA and longer battery life.

lower battery life

You sure about that? They have a smaller battery capacity but the computer itself is more energy efficient. As far as I've heard the battery life is about the same (depending on which GPU is running). The logic behind the smaller battery size was to fit both the battery and HDD in the front for easy access.

Evolesque

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I want the new body so bad but I can't find ANYONE to sell my 2.4ghz macbook pro to. I even tried selling this thing for $1300 and nobody wants it!

We'll you might want to try a little harder at selling it for 1300. I'm sure you can find somebody. College students are probably going to be impossible to sell to, I can tell you that much. I myself and many others from major universities can pick up a 2.4ghz last gen brand new for 1099.99. That probably cuts out a bit of people that are willing to shell out 1300 for a used one. I'm sure yours is in great condition so you just have to play the numbers game to get somebody to buy it.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I'm pretty sure Apple made a big deal about the new unibody notebooks being glass for a reason...I don't know for sure but the implication was the others weren't glass. Aren't these the first notebooks to use true glass?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Answering the OP's topic question: I do. :)

Classic all the way. Definitely not mistakable for a PC laptop.
Classy never goes out of style: button-down collar dress shirts, classic Levi 501/505 jeans - been around awhile, but still hold their own among all the trendy jeans crap - Tony Lama western boots, Canon SD400 digital camera, Harley-Davidson V-twin, wooden baseball bats, white golf balls, wooden basketball courts, grass baseball fields, etc. etc. the list is long. All been around a long time, yet still the best in many ways. MBP 'Classic' is in good company.

Funny how some people get worked up if others don't like what they do... I say just go for it, whatever you like, and don't look around to see how many other folks did the same thing just so you can feel secure with your decision, whatever it is.

pik.

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Bologna/Corfu/Paris
immediately afte the presentation of the unibodys I ordered at my local shop e MBP classic 2,5GHz matte 512 Nvidia.:cool:

here in Europe this computer cost 2400E but after the new ones came out and the campus offer I payed 1500E...

I really do not like the black besel on the new one...:eek:

naid

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008

Have you tried Craigslist? It took me less than a day to sell my 2.4 Penryn for $1,400... 4GB, 7 months old, no applecare.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
What about heat?

I ran into a friend the other day who bought a MBP for x-mas 07, a 17". Was telling her about my unibody, and she asked a question about heat, does yours get as hot as this one?

I lifted hers up, and the bottom was fairly warm to the touch; it would have been uncomfortable to have had it on my (hairy) bare legs. Told her mine, especially using the integrated chip, was usually cool as a cucumber.

She's now thinking selling hers and buying a unibody, despite the glossy display. I personally think that 17" is a desktop replacment, and not a portable, but to each their own...

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I like my new MBP much more than my old one. It looks nicer and the keyboard is better.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Are you sure? I've seen one at the ASC with a broken panel. Hard to describe but it looked like - cracked or splintered glass. The guy there told me it's glass.

Yes, I'm sure. You can break/shatter an LCD without it being glass. It's always been like this, I've seen some of the very first LCDs broken like this and they weren't glass.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I like my new MBP much more than my old one. It looks nicer and the keyboard is better.

I definitely think the new MBP is sturdier; I can handle it without feeling like it's warping under its own weight. I admit that I prefer the older keyboard, though. Haven't quite gotten used to the spacing on this one.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I love and hate the new design at the same time (mostly love, though). Here are my personal pros and cons of the unibody:

+ It looks like the iMac and the MacBook Air at the same time
+ New sturdy enclosure (easy access to HD)
+ New one's screen opens up significantly further than the screen of the old model
+ Improved graphics (not that this has been an issue for me before)

- I'm concerned about the reflections with the glass screen, as I haven't used glossy for a while. We'll se how it lines up...
- Lack of FireWire 400 and full dual-link DVI (didn't use them really that often, but when I needed them I was thankful they were there)
- Sometimes it was convenient to have ports on both sides

My classic MacBook Pro (which had a matte screen) is being replaced by Apple with a new Unibody one (I hope I get it this week), so I don't have it yet and these are just thoughts before I get my hands on it :p (although I've played with one shortly in a store)

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
My classic MacBook Pro (which had a matte screen) is being replaced by Apple with a new Unibody one (I hope I get it this week), so I don't have it yet and these are just thoughts before I get my hands on it :p (although I've played with one shortly in a store)

I know this happens from time to time - what were the circumstances surrounding this replacement?

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
I love and hate the new design at the same time (mostly love, though). Here are my personal pros and cons of the unibody:

+ It looks like the iMac and the MacBook Air at the same time
+ New sturdy enclosure (easy access to HD)
+ New one's screen opens up significantly further than the screen of the old model
+ Improved graphics (not that this has been an issue for me before)

- I'm concerned about the reflections with the glass screen, as I haven't used glossy for a while. We'll se how it lines up...
- Lack of FireWire 400 and full dual-link DVI (didn't use them really that often, but when I needed them I was thankful they were there)
- Sometimes it was convenient to have ports on both sides

I was in the same situation but in the future. I recently got my classic matte MBP replaced by unibody by AppleCare last week and I can say that unibody is of much higher quality. It definitely feels like a slab of aluminum. I no longer have problems I had with previous three classic MBPs I had (they were all "lemon" to me). Unibody is all about quality upgrade to the laptop and it seems like the real successor to the Powerbook. I can now see that Apple rushed to switch the processor to intel and rebadged PB as MBP in 2006. It was all about Apple's business tactic to pass on the fame of legendary Powerbook. They had to come up with something new to overcome the inability to put G5 in Powerbook. hamis92, you will be happy with the unibody as much as I did for sure. :D

Apple makes us like their products and their direction so I should just be happy with the new glossglassy display. Glossy screen felt a bit flashy to me since my previous machines were all matte. I kinda liked the power button design of the previous MBP/Powerbook. Too bad the new one is just an aluminum button at the very corner.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I like the classic! While I do prefer the chicklet keyboard and bigger trackpad area (not the single button)...I'll be ordering a MBP classic as a christmas present for myself :D 2.5, matte.

the screen and plethora of connections re: no hassle dvi, firewire 400, 800 seal the deal for me.

boo yah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.