Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
My fiancée and I got here at 8:00p and were first in line. I know it's crazy but we figured we had nothing better to do on a lazy summer night, so why not camp out and get her phone (I already have mine). It is now nearly 2:00a and still no others.

The look on your kids and grandkids faces will be :eek: when you tell them how you used to have to buy your phones :D

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
3:12, still just us three here. There doesn't appear to be anyone at the AT&T store across the street.

I am very thirsity; that's not an issue as I have a vanilla coke right here - I also have to pee. I think it's in my head.

Thanks coffee from 4 hours ago.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Okay, curiosity got the better of me so I drove to a nearby AT&T store (Lynnwood, WA) just to see if there was anyone waiting out there. It's a relatively small store, but sure enough, I saw a couple of guys camping right at the door. It was 12:30 AM. I wonder what it's going to be like tomorrow morning.

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Brrrrrrrr!

I forgot how cold it can get at night. 347 and still only 3 people here in Kalamazoo. But a wifi network just got turned on somewhere! I might play some Final Fantasy XI.

VicX

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
California
3:12, still just us three here. There doesn't appear to be anyone at the AT&T store across the street.

I am very thirsity; that's not an issue as I have a vanilla coke right here - I also have to pee. I think it's in my head.

Thanks coffee from 4 hours ago.

thanks for sharing buddy.. actually u made me laugh after i watched a sad movie 2night.

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
I waited about 12 hours for a wii when they first came out.. it was actually kind of fun if it wasn't in the low 30s, lol, some great conversations and times had by all, and of course we were all playing mario kart ds with each other it's actually sort of a good time, lol...

as far as the family plan goes - yes, it's per line.. but the ETF is by plan, so the main account is active as far as the last phone is, but the ETF is less than the differance in buying the phone outright or upgrading so you actually would be better off there

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
It's 3:15 am here, and I'm going to take a quick drive over to my AT&T store in a bit, just to see what it's like. I'll be taking my dog out for last call anyway and I'm curious. If there's a line, I'll snap a pic.

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
So get this. I get in, and the guy tells me I'm not eligible for an upgrade - you have no idea how confused I was. I know for a fact on eligible - my brother is on the same family talk plan as I am, and we both bought 3GS at launches, and he ordered his phone through AT&T with no problem. I've also texted that number before and it's said I'm eligble sans the upgrade fee. I'm on a family plan that pays almost 200 a month.

After talking with a manager, apparently my brother wasn't supposed to get a phone (lies); but the assistant store manager was able to get it for me at 299.

Anyways, I called my grandma afterwards an held the phone the "bad" way - and absolutely no issue...so for now, all is good. Good luck to my friends in the central and western US. It's been fun.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
They ran out of 32s by the time I got close to the door & I was there a little before 6am. They said they would get another shipment from noon - 4pm. They took my name & contact info down. I was 3rd on the waiting list. :(

I'm so going to hear about this from my roommates later on tonight. :D

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
They ran out of 32s by the time I got close to the door & I was there a little before 6am. They said they would get another shipment from noon - 4pm. They took my name & contact info down. I was 3rd on the waiting list. :(

I'm so going to hear about this from my roommates later on tonight. :D

Ouch!

I was in line around 1:30. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy the waiting. Hopefully they get some more in soon!

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Got in at 7:00 AM sharp, was out by 7:10 with a brand new activated 32 gig. They were on their game. I'm stoked to play with my new phone! (it needs to finish syncing my music already.. geez!)

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
About twenty people in line at the Bellflower Blvd. store in Long Beach. The first guys got there at 12:30.

35737_410038255687_643560687_4442131_7368512_n.jpg

No, I didn't get out of my car. :eek:

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Got in at 7:00 AM sharp, was out by 7:10 with a brand new activated 32 gig. They were on their game. I'm stoked to play with my new phone! (it needs to finish syncing my music already.. geez!)

Yeah, my music is still synching as well. Did they mess with your phone in store? I knew it would happen again, but I hate when they do that. It's part of the fanboy in me, but I have to be the first to unbox and use my new toys, and when I'm not...well...it feels like a stepchild to me.

The guy even made a call to his cellphone to make sure the phone was working correctly. I was like, "just let me use it already!".

I mean, it takes 25 seconds to activate at home, I know this because I screenshared with my aunt who upgraded from a 3GS - it was literally one of the most simple things ever.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Yeah, my music is still synching as well. Did they mess with your phone in store? I knew it would happen again, but I hate when they do that. It's part of the fanboy in me, but I have to be the first to unbox and use my new toys, and when I'm not...well...it feels like a stepchild to me.

The guy even made a call to his cellphone to make sure the phone was working correctly. I was like, "just let me use it already!".

I mean, it takes 25 seconds to activate at home, I know this because I screenshared with my aunt who upgraded from a 3GS - it was literally one of the most simple things ever.

Yeah, they opened mine and activated in store. I'm not complaining. Unboxing is cool and all, but I'm just stoked I was able to just walk in and get one!! The reservation list at my local Apple store is like 3 weeks right now, haha.

toffa813

macrumors regular
May 10, 2007
ATX
I got there at 5:25 and was about 20th in line and I was out with my 16 gig by 7:35. I think I heard the manager say they had 17 sales reps and they were movin quick.

I am so stoked to replace my razr I was using after my 3G died.

And, yes, I am a college male. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.